SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

Anyone out there in San Francisco itself,

shebabee
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

growing roses in one of the foggier/windier parts of town?

Hello, rose people, this is my first post on your forum, but I have been reading recent and many past threads for quite a while now and spending far too many late nights here and on Help Me Find. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and beautiful photos of your roses!

I am in the very chilly gray windy Richmond District, with a very tiny garden space, which is also, unfortunately, challenged even further because our space, being so close to the building, gets interference from the shadows of our building and the others next door.

I have searched and read a great deal on the forum, and have found many conversations and recommendations from folks living in the overall SF Bay Area -- which includes climates much, much warmer and sunnier than SF proper -- and from people like Jeri living on the coast, who are dealing with chill and fog, but still with much warmer temps than we have here.

For instance: for the past several weeks, the weather has been lows of 52, highs of 63, winds of 12-19 mph afternoons, nearly always 100% cloud cover, with the exception of perhaps 4 days when the skies cleared and we perhaps hit 70 degrees. (Again, other parts of town have had many more sunny afternoons.)

Still, I have a lovely little Sophie's Perpetual that is now covered in buds and just started blooming beautifully, and a couple of other roses that are making a wonderful comeback after several years of neglect. All were totally defoliated as recently as March (black spot); have been re-potted and cared for and all now are leafing out beautifully, growing, and with buds. All the foliage is now clean and healthy.

I would love recommendations from people dealing with very similar growing conditions. My space is small, and most are in containers (a Buff Beauty in the ground). Fragrance is a major criterion, and I would appreciate repeat blooming.

Thank you for any suggestions you can make.

Sheba

Comments (7)