SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

And then there were none.

Tom
7 years ago

As in Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars. I have two large green fennel plants and two smaller bronze fennels that I purchased this year. It always seems like it's boom or bust with these caterpillars. Last year I think I counted over thirty at one time on one of the green fennels and most of them made it into their chrysalises. Last week I counted 12 on my two bronze fennels. I watched them for three or four days and then went out one morning and there were only four of them. They weren't nearly full grown. The next day there were none. All gone.

There are so many things that eat these cats that I really don't know what ate them. My guess is the anoles or lizards that are numerous here in Central Florida---but it could have been wasps or birds or even mice.

Anyway, I need to get a good butterfly cage and hope that some of you can suggest where to purchase one online. I have already created three or four home-made ones, but they don't seem to work that well. I have also purchased some online in the past, but they haven't turned out so well either.

Suggestions?

Comments (4)

Sponsored