SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moliep

What clematis is this?

moliep
7 years ago

I've also posted this question on the Clematis forum. Maybe someone here can take a guess or even knows what this is?

I bought it a few years ago at a box store. Actually, it was in a box that was labelled 'Belle of Woking." I had my doubts about that. The plant had a single teeny stem and no buds. With a plant that size I would normally pot it up and wait a few years to transplant. But I put it in the ground next to a Nelly Moser and forgot about it. Last year I inadvertently, but perhaps luckily, cut it back when I was weeding.

And so here it is a few days ago next to Nelly. The small, bell-shaped blossoms are 2 & 1/2 inches wide when opened with a red-maroon stripe down the back of each petal. The true color is a deep purple red as in the bottom blossoms, but sunshine altered the photos.

A close up showing its slightly rippled edges.

Next to Nelly, this unnamed Clematis is golden in the center. The flowers open from a tiny bell-shaped bud less than an inch in size.

The outside of the blossom is not really as pink-looking as in this photo.

I know there are thousands of Clematis, but perhaps someone recognizes it or could give me an idea of its group.

Molie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!