SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpr508

Stripping Defy Stain in prep for new stain

Kyle Roberts
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just stripped my deck (was defy water based penetrating). I used defy. I followed directions but it did a poor job, even leaving trying leaving it on longer (keeping wet) and scrubbing some and washing off w/ powerwasher. So I followed w/ Jomax w/ the same process, but no powerwash (just hose) which did better, but still looks like I need more stripping from the dark areas, right? It also had a prob w/ white residue that popped through my stain after the first winter which is why I had to strip it to begin with. It still looks like the white is still there. All I can think to do is sand it down, which I dred. I already sanded once over the entire thing after cleaning but before stripping and it was just taking too long. The edges are better because I sanded further trying to get rid of a bit of cupping. I would love to just brighten this, stain and be done. I've spent way too much time. But I'll do what I have to. Can I get some feedback from experience? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I'm temped to go to a semi-solid or solid and be done w/ it, but I know I'll regret it later since these don't do well on horizontal surfaces. I wanted a light semi-trans but at this point I'm not sure that will work w/o a heavy sanding. Appreciate the advice, esp if this looks familiar to you. Thanks

Comment (1)