SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaedwards310

Please critique our layout

MelEdwards
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have read and learned so much on these forums, and am hoping you will be willing to share your insights with me on our kitchen layout. We are in the final stages of planning a house remodel / addition (construction to start this fall hopefully), and I am finally ready to tackle the nitty gritty of the kitchen details. I have spent a lot of time (years ;) ruminating on what will work best for our family within the constraints of the house we have, so I am pretty comfortable with the general location / broad layout, but am still working through specific appliance and layout details.

I welcome all criticism, no matter how extensive - I just thank you for your help!

Some notes on us / our kitchen:

• Family of 4, 2 elementary school kids. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen, generally all of us at once.
  • House is brick veneer on slab
  • We eat a lot of meals in the kitchen, but do try to eat dinner together in the dining room a few times a week. Our kitchen tends to get messy during cooking (and collect other clutter) so we like have a separate, cleaner dining room.
  • Water conflict is big for us - we often have one person cleaning dishes while the other is cooking
  • We have some dietary restrictions, so do a lot of eating / cooking at home, although cooking is NOT a hobby. If food just magically appeared on plates I'd be down with that.
  • We don't formally entertain all that often, but frequently have family / neighbors / friends over for more casual get togethers, and we definitely want the space to encourage and support that.
  • We often wind up with more dirty dishes than fit in one load, thus the desire for 2 dishwashers
  • Existing layout: Our current kitchen has the range and sink close to those shown, with the island prep sink being new. Currently the fridge is at the end of the run where the Bev fridge is shown, with oven cabinets where we now show the fridge. Area between kitchen and dining room is currently a butler's pantry, with cabinets / counter on the outside wall and a pantry closet on the other side.

Kitchen Plan:

With (rough) Measurements:

Full First Floor Plan:

Comments (58)