SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryjozone5

Is anyone growing achimenes?

maryjozone5
7 years ago

this is my first year for growing these and just wondering if anyone on here is also growing them.

Comments (71)

• irina_co
    7 years ago

DB -

'Glory' was registered in the Gesneriad Society Registry as Achimenes

IR80211 1980 Achimenes 'Glory' unknown (R. Brumpton hybridizer) C. E. Spaugh

Since the registrant (C.E. Spaugh) did it for R. Brumpton, UK... there always a touch of doubt... on the other side if it comes from UK - these guys take it very seriously.

Probably one of these days the DNA analysis will be more accessible and it can be checked.

Just for appearance alone - Achimenes is a diverse genus - A. mexicana grows pretty much upright and barely trails, A. cettoana has narrow elongated leaves.. and so on and so forth... And A. misera looks like a weed with diminutive yellow flowers.

I.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

True, I've grown misera (and it isn't worth it for flowers). Yeah, maybe it's a cross species vs cross genera. Ok, I concede, with uncertainty.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Ok, my achimenes is close to going down for dormancy. I'm going to venture at least three or four tubers were produced (small plant)...but every flower actually set seed. I think I may try to grow them out this spring (the seed). How'd yours do, Mary ?

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was just thinking about you and your achimenes the other day! Thanks for commenting on here and letting me know how they're doing! Mine are still growing and blooming but probably not as much as before. I have mostly the simple purple ones - the cattleya. A few of yellow beauty and ambrose verschaffelt made it too and they are still alive but the blooming is slowing down- although I still see new buds! I still can't decide whether to leave the rhizomes in their pots or take them out and store them in a smaller space. You recommend keeping them in their pots right? I am guessing they may dry out and die if not left in the soil? and it seems like some people say they can have really small rhizomes that I wouldn't see if digging them up now.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Just let them begin to die down (rescue before frost) naturally, slow down watering as the leaves wither. Then yes, put in cool dry place (like maybe under kitchen sink used to work for me)

You would see them fine (but don't disturb till dormant), some tidy folks have been known to winnow the soil in December and store them in baggies of dry soil, but it seems easier for lazy me, to do it in February, then replant in fresh soil and start watering cautiously. In a few weeks, they'll be growing.

The rhizomes vary from pea size to puny pea pod size.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks so much for all the info! I will store the pots in a cool place indoors. Where did you buy your glory?

• dbarron
    7 years ago

And Irina, I still say it doesn't behave like an Achimenes with all my bloom coming sequentially in about a months time (stalks all went terminal bloomed...no further growth), and very stout and stocky plant, unlike the almost weaver that I'm used to....though I guess it's within the realms of possibility.

I thought I told you..but guess I didn't...a "local" breeder in Springfield, MO, David Harris, his website is www.davesviolets.com. Nice guy, though maybe a bit difficult to communicate with sometimes.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

you bought yours as plants not rhizomes?

• irina_co
    7 years ago

I love Dave Harris. Yes - his writing is off the chart - but in person - he has a sharp mind, an acid sense of humor, knows all the stories about plants and plant people.

• rusty_blackhaw
    7 years ago

For some reason I forgot to start my Achimenes rhizomes (mostly "Purple King") this spring and wondered months later what had happened to them.

I found them looking mostly dry and withered in their storage bags and didn't have a lot of hope but planted them anyway. So now I have several pots worth growing lustily under lights, to go with the several new varieties I obtained recently.

A small but interesting selection

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

rusty, great that they grew. How long have you been growing achimenes? which new varieties did you get? I checked out the link you posted and they look nice! I live in Iowa so would have to wait till spring to order (since those are plants not rhizomes) don't you think?

• rusty_blackhaw
    7 years ago

"Purple King" thriving in a large pot under fluorescent lights:

Probably a bit late to order Achimenes from Vermont.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

The only nice Achimenes I see for sale (really) are on Ebay and offered by a gent from Hungary I seem to recall. Or maybe it was Romania...but one of those. I may order some of his come spring. Mine are now completely dormant. I thought about peeking to see what amt of rhizomes I'm dealing with..but I think I prefer leaving in pot till Feb and not bothering till I replant in late Feb.

• irina_co
    7 years ago

Serge Saliba from Romania - super prolific and very talented guy.

Here is the eye candy site https://www.flickr.com/photos/gesneriads/

If you want to purchase rhizomes on ebay - look at what aurikab has. If you buy directly from Serge - he will send you a very small rhizome that may or may not survive. Aurika from Tampa FL already went through the pain and grew good healthy rhizomes out of several scales or whatever left after weeks in the mail.

These are more or less new introductions and the last word in Achimenes hybridization.

The gardenpartner - he is a seller from Hungary - sells some rhizomes from his large collection. Some good rare oldies.

I am thinking that buying from Tampa is still safe.

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Mary Jo, it's almost time to divide up the rhizomes and see what we have. Possibilities to trade might exist (I hope).

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have the pots stored in a cool bedroom. I was looking at them the other day and wondering when I can dig them out. I am in Iowa, Zone 5 and its still going to be too cold to plant outside for quite a while, but I can start them indoors under lights. When do we start them? I would love to trade if I have some that you would like! I do hope they multiplied!

• dbarron
    7 years ago

The old recommendation was President's day was the approximately the time to start growing again. So that's only a month or so away. I recon we could peek, divide, and see what we got any time, and replant what we want to replant. I may do that tomorrow...it's like opening presents...I also just emailed Lauray of Salisbury to ask if she's going to be shipping this year (ie would probably order...Ebay is a bit too expensive for me).

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Mary, would you please go into your setup on Houzz and enable sending you messages. I have an idea to discuss off-line.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How do I do that?

• dbarron
    7 years ago

Well, I'm able to message you (and have) now.

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

I'm growing about 20-25 varieties, over 30 pots of Achimenes this summer, and would sure enjoy trading varieties with other growers! I'm kind of obsessed with them!

• dbarron
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mary Jo and I acquired about twelve selections in a cooperative effort this year. I'll pm you a list, I fear that acquiring achimenes within the States will become difficult since Lauray of Salisbury said this year was her last offering them and I'm not aware of any other commercial entity offering more than a few. Seems the dude in Hungary is the best source these days (ebay).

• Mary Jo Evers
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, some of mine died but I should still have some to trade! Most of the ones I bought from Laura of Salisbury made it.

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

I didn't see Achimenes listed on Kartuz Greenhouse's website yesterday... and they had a HUGE selection - unless they're going to add it back on this fall or next spring. But with Lauray dropping them after this year, I guess they're all backing out of the market. I didn't realize the trend to get them from Romania / Hungary was that big. (sigh) We'll have to hook up and maybe orchestrate our purchases so we minimize duplicates and trade with one another the following year. :(

• dbarron
    6 years ago

That's why Mary and I did that this year :0 I really don't need more pot jungle, but I'll look at your list and see what might tempt me. Regardless, I should be able to share some rhizomes come February.

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

I spoke with a friend who grows several Achimenes and she said she gets leaves from other growers and roots them! I think that'd be a great option for sharing once plants have already sprouted, etc. :)

• dbarron
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hmm, I've never actually heard of anyone propagating Achimenes by leaves, but since AVs and Sinningias can be propagated that way, it might work. (wow, after some googling, yes, it does work...just never did it). I'd prefer to do rhizomes anyway, they propagate fast enough usually.

Since Achimenes leaves are not succulent like the other mentioned Gesneriads, I would imagine high humidity and fairly low light levels to be important to get the leaf to live long enough to root.

• Mary Jo Evers
    6 years ago

How about stem cuttings?

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

Yes, that works as well, Mary Jo! :)

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Stem cuttings I knew would work...and if one breaks off, I almost always do.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I make a stem cutting this summer yet, will it have enough time to make rhizomes before winter?

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Well, it should...it may not be a big one...but it should.

maryjozone5 thanked dbarron
  • irina_co
    6 years ago

It is too late for Kartuz to sell Achimenes rhizomes - hopefully he will have them next spring. Hopefully - because he is about 90.

Judy Becker - Lauray - is already 3/4 retired - and she is also over 75 I believe.

"AurikaB" sells on ebay - she is almost out of rhizomes - but she has 2 postings right now. Another friend of mine - "Inkasoy" - has cuttings of "Petite Fadette" for sale.

These two sellers specialize in Serge Saliba hybrids - and they are hot right now - they are compact and you can grow them on the light shelf as well as outside. If you grow them under the lights - and never dry them - the blooming season extends to Christmas... outside - comes the fall - they retire for the winter.

Regarding an evergreen question - why they cost so much - these guys got them directly from a hybridizer, paid a bundle for a minuscule rhizome, spent a season babying it - and only after the next season they got enough to sell. Comes the spring - there will be a rich selection, now it is a surprise that anything is still available.

i.

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

Thank you for this information, Irina!

• Eddie van Buiten
    6 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy achimenes in Australia. I have two varieties now that I purchased 16 years ago and I would love some more.

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

I wish I knew someone who did. Sorry, Eddie.

• rusty_blackhaw
    6 years ago

Achimenes "Aime Saliba".

• Christine A.
    6 years ago

Achimenes "Mme. Gehuene

• Russ Yarb
    6 years ago

For years I had a hardy purple one that I started from a cutting. I had many rhizomes, but my pot that I brought in each year was eaten up by squirrels and now I have no plants. I would like to get a few purple rhizomes from someone as they seem to be so expensive on the market. Does anyone know a source of cheap rhizomes. I live in Louisiana.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't see this before. Russ Yarb would you still want some rhizomes of purple achimenes? I have cattleya that I can send you free! Just personal message me if you want and let me know where to send them.

• irina_co
    5 years ago

Right now - ebay is full of Achimenes rhizomes. There is a seller - achimenesfarm - his rhizomes are $5 - and shipping $5,90. You invest into several varieties from them now - and you will have them going for many years. I do not know what is the best way to keep the squirrels out - probably cover the pot with some metal mesh as soon as you pot them. The shoots will go through - and darn bushy rats... won't.

• summersunlight
    4 years ago

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that Kartuz has Achimenes this year if anyone is looking for em.

• irina_co
    4 years ago

Michael Kartuz has Achimenes every year - but this absolutely lovely gentleman is in his very late 90s. Growing gesneriads is very good for longevity. Get some from him now - while his business is still around.

• Christine A.
    4 years ago

Over 20 varieties, 3/$5.

• maryjozone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

irina are you saying Michael Kartuz is in his 90s or is this someone else that is selling the Achimenes for him?

• Christine A.
    4 years ago

His business has them for sale.

• irina_co
    4 years ago

Michael Kartuz is almost 100 and he sells his own Achimenes. He has a small staff - and I saw them shucking big pots of Achimenes ful of rhizomes about this time of the year. I am just trying to say - hope he will live long and prosper - but in reality - buy now - who knows if they will be there next year - and he carries some rare old hybrids. If the climate is good for Achimenes - and darn squirrels won't destroy it - these varieties will stay with us until we are 100.

• HU-650341197
    last year

I grow Achimenes indoors under lights In cold climate Canberra , they are very prolific and I need to either divide or pot into bigger pots. They started flowering in April and are at their peak in May-June, become dormant in late winter. I would like to contact any other growers. Margot

• Christine A.
    last year

Where are you located? I grow them and am in Kentucky USA