SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

The most beautiful rose in the world

Actually I don't believe in this idea: many roses are uniquely beautiful; no rose can possess all the beauties of all the loveliest roses: a rose can't simultaneously be 'Ypsilante' and 'Graham Thomas' (a plant of which that I saw in eastern Washington was perhaps the single most glorious rose I ever saw in my life). But at the moment 'Etoile de Lyon' is pushing for the title. This yellow Tea that I planted back around 2004 in rocky ground infested with the roots of a recently cut down, large maple, lives unfertilized and unwatered, perched on a high bit of ground where water doesn't stay, too close to 'Blush Noisette', which it's overrunning. After three weeks or so of no rain, and recent temperatures up in the nineties--I know, very mild compared with most of the U.S.--it's on a major second flush, loaded with blooms, and large and shapely blooms at that. The plant, which has never known much pruning, is 5'-6' tall and has spread out about 8' wide. I've been cutting it a little shorter lately so that I can see the flowers, which don't nod. They're superb.

There is a downside to the situation, which perhaps is good because otherwise such a perfect rose might get wafted straight up to heaven: the beetles absolutely adore it. They spoil to a greater or lesser extent almost all the blooms. Oh well. I need to check out Bart's pheromone (sp?) traps. The flowers are large, full, shapely, of a generally buttery yellow, a soft color but definitely yellow, not one of the many peachy-buffy-creamy Teas. The color is shaded honey, fawn, cream, pale metallic gold, and it changes as the flower ages. 'Etoile de Lyon' is a grand sturdy leafy plant, rather huskier than many Teas, well filled out. In spite of its general largeness, it has no coarseness about it, but is an elegant rose. This plant was grafted; I've propagated a number of babies, which are slow to get going but promise to rival their mother.

Comments (11)