SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Which New Roses Are You Most Looking Forward To?

Some of you have ordered dozens and some, like me, only a few, but I've found that I don't await all of them with an equal amount of anticipation, especially if I'm ordering a second rose of a variety I already have, like my La France. A few roses just produce a certain flutter of the heart, for whatever reason. This can be a rose you've just planted or one that's been ordered. I'd love to know what your own personal favorites are. For me it's:

Young Lycidas, because of the pictures and the many praises I've read here about this rose.

Lady Alice Stanley, an early hybrid tea from Vintage, since this is a rose that's new to me and not often mentioned.

Marjorie Palmer, because the one bloom it's had so far is really enchanting, especially its glowing lavender/deep pink color.

Souvenir de St. Anne's, bought because of the recent thread featuring this rose, and the many comments that it looks so much better than its pictures, and that it has a wonderful fragrance.

Pink Lafayette, another unknown from Vintage, a polyantha that I'm eager to see in bloom.

Ingrid

Comments (50)

• onewheeler
    11 years ago

I ordered 5 new roses this year. Mostly because of pictures I have seen on the internet. Ginger Syllabub, Alcheymist and Munstead Wood. Recently I found out that my fathers side of the family originally came from Persia so when I stumbled upon these roses I had to have them to honor my family name. Persian Light and Persian Sunset. I sure hope they do well.

Valerie

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

I guess you got the Persians from Pickering, Valerie? Had to look them up on hmf; pretty.

I'd iike to try growing Souvenir de St. Anne's, too, Ingrid. I only have one of that clan, Madame Cornelissen, and it doesn't do that well, but I wonder if the SdsA would do better for me.

I only added one rose, the climber, Bolero. There are about 5 roses called Bolero, aggravatingly enough. It came from Hortico and is a healthy looking thing, a single blush.

But what I am looking forward to the most are blooms from roses I added last year:

Wolley Dodd or Duplex
    Till Uhlenspiegel, a hybrid eglanteria
    Creme de la Creme, a climber which had only one bloom last spring that smelled like pears to me
    St. Elisabeth of Hungary, a pink climber

and then looking forward to old friends blooming again - the gallicas are going into their third year and I hope will have a much larger bloom this year. Tuscany, in particular has won my heart. Alba maxima, Queen of Denmark.

But I digress from your original question, Ingrid.

• Related Discussions

Which new rose blooms are you looking forward to the most?

Q

Comments (46)
    This year I am looking forward the most to seeing my first Tea roses ever blooming in my garden. Somehow I was never really drawn to them and preferred other rose classes, but last year I had a change of mind. Suddenly I could perceive their beauty when I looked at photos of Tea roses posted here on GW (thanks everyone!). It was even more convincing to see them flowering in reality in a befriended rosarian's garden. So I got me Climbing Devoniensis, Angels Camp Tea, Le Vesuve, Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux as bands from Vintage Gardens. On top of that I was so very lucky to get Georgetown Tea as a gift from a befriended rose lover last weekend. I really can't wait to see them all blooming and hope they turn out to be the great roses that everyone is raving about in my own small garden paradise. Christina
    ...See More

Which Hybridizer's Intros Do You Look Forward to Most?

Q

Comments (19)
    Pat and Grace Stamile sold Floyd Cove and moved to CA but both are still hybridizing. However, part of their agreement in the sale was that they couldn't introduce anything for a period of years. They ARE finding it a challenge to hybridize on the Pac. coast - blooms don't open as well, etc. But I look for them to have some introductions over the next couple of years. What they are doing now is on a much more limited basis than the big operation they once ran, however. I too LOVE almost anything from Judy Davisson, Curt Hanson and Jamie Gossard, I also grow a lot of plants from Reg. 3 hybridizers because they were hybridized locally and do well here : Margo Reed, Jim Murphy, Pat Cochenour, Don Herr, all have great plants that perform like troopers in my garden and I never hesitate to add their plants. I do grow quite a few plants from Reg.2 hybridizers in recent years - have enjoyed some from Bret Clement,Sandy Holmes, Gerald Bushong and others. Lots of great hybridizers out there! I will say (and it has taken years of growing daylilies to learn this) that in recent years I have shied away from some of the Southern grown plants in favor of those which are grown in similar climates. Some of those beauties with the big edges for example, never look like that here, and I'm tired of the frustration of trying to grow a Southern belle that will never be happy here.Some Southern plants that generally do well here on the edge of zones 6/7 are the Ellers plants and Nan Wilkerson's.
    ...See More

What are you most looking forward to for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Q

Comments (13)
    HU - Well....look at that, I forgot all about this old thread. 8 years ago? Wow! So, you are happy for Thanksgiving....what are you looking forward to? So, do you have family somewhere that you are not going to be able to get together with? We will not be able to get together with our family. First time in our lives that will be the case. Not one Thanksgiving or Christmas that we haven't been able to get together for a holiday dinner. So I'd say that is something to be VERY thankful for. And I'm a lot older than you are. [g]. And I hadn't thought about it that way until just this minute. So you did me a favor to bring this thread up. We are going to be making dinner, which we enjoy doing. We will have dinner ourselves but we will be delivering Thanksgiving Dinner to a couple of our kids. A small, easy, traditional dinner. I just got through making a food order. I looked at a weather forecast and it may rain on Thanksgiving, which would make it difficult to even have a short visit outdoors with anyone, but the forecast is wrong a lot, especially when it's an early one. So, what are you looking forward to HU?
    ...See More

Which new roses are you most looking forward to?

Q

Comments (25)
    I am VERY excited about seeing all my roses bloom this year (hopefully) as I had several late additions last year that did not bloom for me because they were so young & it was so late in the year. However that did not stop me from purchasing more roses this year, because I just couldn't help myself. My newbies from last year I can't wait to see in bloom: Madame Joseph Schwartz Kronprinzessin Viktoria Reine de Violettes Mme. Issac Pereire Rosette Delizy Duchesse de Brabant Green Rose Heritage Lady Hillingdon New Additions for this year I can't wait to see: The Shepherdess Lyda Rose Golden Wings Dark Desire Dame de Coeur Happenstance Mme Antoine Mari Distant Drums Mme Alfred Carriere Charlotte Baby Love Blueberry Hill Blush Noisette Cramoisi Superieur Bolero Gruss an Aachen Pope John Paul ll Holy cow, when I write them all out like that it looks like SO many!!! They are coming from several different nurseries, so this is my first time seeing them written all together.....That's kinda scary, but still mostly EXCITING! I'm with you, Blueisland, I'm glad I'm not especially talented at math, because I never hope to know how much money I have spent in the last 2-3 years on roses.... I could have probably bought a cheap car with the total, especially if you include shipping on all these! Oh well, you can't take it with you! Let's just enjoy nature's beauty while we can!
    ...See More
  • onewheeler
    11 years ago

Harborrose I did order them from Pickering.

Another rose I am looking forward to is one I grew from seed. It has survived two winters outdoors, no bloom yet, so I am hoping that is will bloom this year so I can get an idea of what it will look like. I call it First Born as it is the first rose I have ever grown from my open pollinated rose hips.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I have nothing on order this spring. I'm pretty much tapped out on space anyway but I also have several gift certificates for local nurseries that I'm saving to use for roses this spring. I'm sure something won't winter over and I have a few I will probably dig out for lack of performance. Hopefully that will give me a few spots to buy some new ones. I've been seriously looking at Sugar Moon but who knows what will be available. And there's always one I fall head over heels for when I get there!

• lbuzzell
    11 years ago

I believe another rose from Persia is 'Rose de Rescht'?

Linda

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to Crimson Glory, which is coming from Heirloom. I inherited my love for roses from my grandmother and great-uncle, and had always heard that their mother had been quite the rose-nut as well. After my great-uncle died this past summer, I was given all of his photographs (he was the family photographer), and found a picture from 1950 of my granny's front porch where she had a row of what looked like hybrid teas. I asked my mother about them, and she told me they were red and very fragrant. I know they really could have been anything, but I've decided to go with Crimson Glory as sort of a tribute. The entire family was German also, which may have had nothing to do with it, but eh, it helped to seal the deal.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I'm always excited about a new rose. Many of my new roses I've already gotten recently. I'm really pleased to have finally found Robusta. It'a lovely Bourbon. I'm trying again Climbing Ophelia Type. I've lost two young ones in years past. Now I have a Lady Penznce. I've potted up two Hybrid Gigantias, Emmanuella De Mouchy and Lafollette.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I am looking forward to my bands growing up and being big enough to plant. It is very hard to see the bareroots and keep walking. But I have a green house full of cuttings and a tray of bands in 1gs. So I keep reminding myself that I will be busy with a bunch of roses in no time at all (even if it seems like forever to wait on them to grow)

• jeannie2009
    11 years ago

Looking forward to this spring...3 Gallica's were planted 4 years ago in one of our pastures. 1 1/2 years ago two weenlings moved in. No problem as the baby horses didn't like rose bushes at all. A couple of weeks ago they changed their mind....ate off the top 1/3.
    Gary and I moved them and of course that day it was raining.
    So this spring...hoping they live and bloom half as well as usual.Probably should be hoping only that they survive.
    Also will be receiving a few roses from Rogue which should be fun...Redoubt's Red. I have not had any red noisettes so this should brighten the backyard bed.
    Happy gardening
    Jeannie

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I don't plan to purchase any roses this year, but I am eagerly waiting to see the bloom on two of my pot ghetto rooted cuttings. One of them is Ray Ponton's Cameron Bohls and other is his Ida's Red. I met Ray Ponton a few years ago and I am looking forward to growing some of his roses.
    Molly

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

I don't order a rose unless I REALLY want it. But I can't wait to see Munstead Wood.

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

We got our new roses late in the fall and planted them in (overly) wet ground, and I'm just waiting to see how many survive the winter without rotting away, and then without getting eaten by deer, which we now have. My major issue is survival.
    The last few days we've been planting suckers from a group of flourishing old once bloomers that I've never managed to root from cuttings. I have had good luck the few times I've tried propagating from suckers, so am feeling optimistic about these, and we dug them good holes, amending the near-pure clay with lots of half-rotted hay. The varieties are 'Louis van Till', 'Stanwell Perpetual', 'Mme. Louis Leveque' (I think: it came from Schultheis as 'Gloire des Mousseux'), 'Agar', 'Incomparable', 'Duchesse de Verneuil', 'Pink Leda', 'La Plus Belle des Ponctuees', and 'Capitaine John Ingram'. A fine bunch of roses that I'm hopeful will do well and be an ornament to the garden.
    Then there are the cuttings, and most of them don't look good. I don't dare allow myself to be optimistic about any of them.

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 7:11

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I've only ordered two roses this year due to space problems, and the one I look forward to receiving most is a German rose from Tantau called Augusta Luise. It was hybridized by Evers who also hybridized Ascot,another favorite of mine. I plan to purchase Munstead Wood, and possibly a new Carruth purple mini called Diamond Eyes, from a wonderful local nursery that will have a huge selection of potted roses this spring. I'm excited about my new roses, but going crazy wondering where I'll put them. It's giving me a headache! Diane

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    11 years ago

I have twenty roses coming, some from Pickering Nurseries and some from Rogue Valley Roses. There are two that I have been trying to come by,for many years now; Alux Symphony and Claire Rose.

Rogue Valley Roses is the only place I could find that has Symphony on their website that will ship to Canada and it has been out of stock since they started shipping internationally. This fall, I happened to look in November and it was listed as in stock, I have two bands confirmed for mid April delivery. I really hope I get them, because right now, the picture and all reference to Symphony has dissapeared from the RVR website. I will be sooo... happy and relieved to get this rose

Claire Rose is another I've tried to get previously. Two years ago, I was told it was in stock and would be shipped and then, told they had made a mistake and were out of stock at the last minute. I sure hope I get it this year.

The final rose, I'm really looking forward to acquiring is Paul Barden's Treasure Trail. It was out of stock in previous years and also when I ordered the ones above and then it was released a few weeks later, so I immediately place another order for two bands.

I have confirmed invoices for all three of these rare treasures. I ordered two of each, because I often loose a few bands when I order from the U.S., either delays at the border, occasionally bands too small to survive, or like two years ago with Quietness when a squirrel dug one up and killed it. I swear the squirrels know which are my rarest most treasured bands, because they seldom put in the effort to do too much damage, but when they do it always seems to be the rose that will be the most difficult to replace. The three varieties above will be going into high security lodgings when they get here until they are well established.

It is very risky and expensive to order bands and have them shipped from the US, but I am slowly acquiring a collection of rare roses that are otherwise unavailable in Canada.

Enjoy your new roses everyone.

Cheers, Rick

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

This is going to be a super exciting year for me, as I added a bunch between fall and now, and many of the fall roses were mostly naked sale roses - with a bunch of Austins I can't wait to see in bloom.

I'm super excited about the 4 that should be here any day from Heirloom. Souvenir de la Malmaison - she may be the one with the most to live up to, Frederic Mistral, Mme Isaac Pereire and Amazing Grace. I can't say any are more exciting than the others, but I expect SDLM and Amazing Grace to do well, and I'm uncertain about the other two. But with MIP's reputation for fragrance, I had to try her.

Of the bareroots already planted, I think Neptune excites me the most, although there are about 10 others that I can't wait to see. Of the sale Austins I received, I'm most excited to see Windermere and Geoff Hamilton in bloom.

In all, I think I have over 30 new varieties that I've never seen in bloom, and I am so excited I'm ready to jump out of my own skin. My new Bella Roma is a little confused and has her first 4 blooms - there is something about her fragrance that makes me swoon.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

I know I must be nuts for ordering at all when I am reducing my roses from 200 down to 50 or so. (Yes, I'm giving away most of them.) But I still placed an order for Polareis. I've been eyeing that rose for years and some photos recently posted on GW put me over the edge. I know just the place in my new gardens where it will be perfect. And of course, I couldn't have them ship just one rose from Northland Rosarium, so I also ordered Geschwind's Shonste, Bulls Eye and another Felix Le Clerc. My first FLC from Hortico failed to thrive and has been going down hill for 3 years. It was alive last fall, but just barely so I think it's time to try a different plant of that variety.
    Yes, I am a rose "nut."

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Like several of you, I'm jumping up and down in impatience waiting for my spring order of Munstead Wood to appear!

I'm nearly that excited about my newly ordered Pompenella--such a sweet differently shaped rose.

I have several others ordered, but am not on pins and needles over them.

And like some of you, I'm eager to see the second year bloom on a couple roses that didn't bloom much last season--especially The Pilgrim and Lady of Shalott.

But Munstead Wood is the one that has me dancing in anticipation!

Kate

• thahalibut
    11 years ago

Mrs BR cant, currently rooting, I hope it makes it.

Some I am ordering & have been wanting forever are,
    Distant Drums
    Brass band
    SDLM
    Rose de Rescht

• User
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the first blooms on:

La Reine
    Double Delight
    Too Cute
    Queen Anne

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd forgotten about Earth Song and Duchess of Albany. I received Earth Song in the fall as a band and it's growing nicely, but of course it's the blooms I'm waiting for.

The Duchess, a sport of La France, has been with me for a year but it's still not much bigger than band size. I've recently moved it and am hoping that will do the trick. The early hybrid teas can be quite tricky to grow successfully.

Ingrid

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

It's been a long time since I bought a standard so I bought Love Song. The last standard I had got canker when dad ran into it with the mower. No grass now and I'm looking forward to it. I would have loved Sterling Silver as a standard. I had a chance to buy Angel Face but I thought they looked lopsided so I passed them by. Finally there was a perfect Love Song in the standards section. Hopefully it will look good a few years from now. I always wondered how the robust caned roses like Memorial Day could last as standards. There used to be an impressive row of Chrysler Imperial standards in D-Land at the entrance to Tomorrow Land but when they re-worked Tomorrow Land, they yanked out all my beautiful CI standards. What can I say.....that's D-Land, the ever changing landscape that happens in early in the morning. I used to walk through the park on my way to work and see the transformations. One time there was a massive pile of stocks in full bloom laying on the ground behind New Orleans. I asked for the flowers and got an armload full at lunch. They grow roses like annuals there.

Usually I get sent the oops rose but this year I picked it out myself. I was supposed to be buying Evelyn and I pulled them all out of the row to look for the best one. It was down to 2 plants. I couldn't choose. Finally I decided one had more shoots in favorable directions. When I got home and took it out of the car, it was a Crown Princess Margareta. Whoops. Another big monster for my collection. I'm just going to see what it will do. I don't usually go for orange roses, but I'm sure that I'll get a paler version in my warm summers. I like the shape and the fragrance sounds nice. It could have been something I gave away so I'm thankful.

Today I went to the camellia show and to Nuccio's and got a Moonrise, Showa Supreme, Buttons and Bows ( another one) and a Mine-no-yuke (white doves). I'm excited to see what Moonrise will do. The one that was blooming was fantastic. It's always a wait for small camellias they grow so slowly. The Nuccio's are so very nice. They introduced a big beautiful white to honor their their grandma and named it Tata ( Italian for grandma Tom said ) That plant is just beginning to bloom in my garden and I'm very excited about it. I saw some extrordinary ones today at the show. I can't find a good picture on the web. They are huge shimmery full moons of brilliant white with pure yellow centers. In photos they look flat but in person, they are softly ruffled and dimensional and as big as my hand. A great way to start the Lunar New Year.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

I am adding three albas, Blanche de Belgique, Sappho and Alba Foliaciae. I also am especially looking forward to the climbers Shadow Dancer, Rosanna and Pink Cloud. SD is descended from Dortmund, so I think it should be hardy in allegedly-zone-5-but-more-like-zone-6 winters. The Kordesiis and the New Dawn descendents do quite well here.

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

Kitty,
    I'm the luckiest gardener in the world, and most of the time I know it. But you make me want camellias really badly. Enjoy your new ones!
    Melissa

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Oh Melissa, you have to try a few. I noted from a different thread with a Kitty post that Kitty is not that far from Nuccio's, and has Camellias (actually I think Kitty you've posted some photos), I must say this year is my "smitten for camellias" year. The Nuccio family really are amazing - this year I've seen in full bloom Nuccio's Gem, Cameo, Pearl, and a 5 gallon Bella Rossa that was so covered in huge red blooms that you could barely see the foliage on it.

This year I'm now at over 10 camellias, and sigh ... I'm now recognizing them by name. That's the point when I know I'm moving into the addict stage. Wish the most beautiful of them had fragrance, but their beauty gives the roses a run for their money. Sorry to detract from the roses...

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Tom Nuccio had a big display of fragrant camellias at the show and you could smell them as you passed by. They are getting better all the time getting the fragrance into the flowers and yellow camellias are making great strides as well.

I wish I could grow Damasks, Albas, Centifolias & Mosses. Tried, Failed. I love seeing all of yours when you put up pictures. I bought a Larissa to plant next to Cinderella Fairy Tale. Nobody in their sound mind is going to try coming over the back wall. Some people have dogs, I have roses. I just hope I'm allowing enough room but if they intermingle a bit I think it might be pretty. Cinderella took a few years to get going but now she blooms pretty well. No trouble with the leaves at all so I thought I would try another big Kordes shrub.

• mariannese
    11 years ago

Here's another waiting for Munstead Wood, new last spring. We're having another bad winter with too early frost and then freeze-thaw cycles and not enough snow cover.

I am expecting three more Austins, Lady of Shalott, Lady Emma Hamilton and Summer Song for my west facing hot border that will be overhauled and rearranged this year. This border is completely different from the rest of my garden so I'm a bit apprehensive about the result. Hot colours are much more difficult to work with than soft pastels. The border is far away from other beds and borders but I shall see it every day from the kitchen window so it has to look good.

• User
    11 years ago

I have always lived over chalk and never had the acid soil for rhodies or camellias. So, in East Anglia, they have to be grown in pots.....and a more awkward, inelegant sight is rarely seen - there is frequently a problem with chlorotic foliage and watering failure, so bud drop is endemic. Understandably, camellias rank very lowly indeed in my list of desirable plants (somewhere around the same level as dandelions - not hateful but not wanted either). As a romantic teenager with Gothic pretensions, I adored La Dame aux Camellias - just the name seemed evocative so I was horrified by the reality of lumpy blobs with plastic looking flowers and equally plastic looking leaves. But, as always, there will be a plant which defies expectations and I discovered mine in the atypical 'Cornish Snow'. Not only does this grow to a graceful stature with delicate refined blooms, it has a huge tolerance for alkaline soil.
    Naturally, if I had the sheltered, moist and peaty woodland habitat, I would be extolling the virtues of camellias.....and having seen pics of truly stupendous specimens, I am grateful that this is one further addiction I intend to pass by.

Oh yeah, roses......well, I was in the middle of massive changes and my tiny order was vastly curtailed but, there are a couple of roses I have never seen - one a new hulthemia and one from the US. BRIGHT AS A BUTTON is a pink Warner hulthemia (I love this class of roses and the latest incarnations seem to have extraordinary health and vigour). My american import is a little known sweetie which caught my eye, while mindlessly browsing on HMF (as you do). Not immediately exceptional but I dunno, I kept coming back to it, over many months. A chance mention that it could be got from Bierkreek and Bingo, finger on the 'buy' button, hang the costs - DAWN CREST will be mine.

• windeaux
    11 years ago

2013 is the year that 'Queen of Bedders' (compact Bourbon) and 'Queen Mab' (compact China) arrive in my garden. After year of waiting/ hoping/pleading, finally and at last . . .

• User
    11 years ago

Camellias used to be low on my list, too, due to their lack of fragrance and short bloom time. But they've moved up a few notches recently.

I visited a friend in New Orleans this past December, and we went on a walking tour of some historic homes in the Garden District. Many of the gardens had camellias in full bloom, and they were beautiful. There was an old carriage house that had a line of camellias in pure white across the entire front gate. There were so many flowers on the shrubs and shattered petals underneath that it looked like drifts of snow.

I'm definitely looking at them with a more open mind now. There are a few, too, with a light fragrance. And there's Camellia sinensis, too, for making your own tea.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I sure wish our camellias could bloom more than once. We have two that are at least 50 years old and I think I will add a couple more, only because it fills the bed with plants with similar water/light/fertilizer needs and not because I love them)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

Like many who have already posted, I am really looking forward to planting Austin's 'Munstead Wood' and 'Young Lycidas'. It seems like Austin has made great strides in the past 10 years in developing modern reproduction roses without many of the flaws of years past. I hope these two live up to the hype for me.

I am also looking forward to planting several dark red, fragrant hybrid teas. 'Firefighter' and 'Oklahoma' will arrive grafted, 'Barcelona/Francis Dubreuil' as a two gallon own root, and I will be growing out bands of 'Velvet Fragrance' and 'Crimson Glory, Cl.'. These will all be my "vase roses."

In addition, I will be receiving some bands of hybrid chinas and gallicas from Vintage, Rogue Valley and Long Ago Roses. These will complete my collection of once bloomers. I look forward to their generous bloom seasons, subtle colors and fragrances, and their robust growth habits which will eventually provide support for additional clematis in my garden.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

One of my Camellias started blooming in late September and is still loaded with flowers and should go well into March. Counting October - February that is five months, not like a rose but pretty darn good.

I get only one new rose this year, 'Twilight Zone'. Looking forward to seeing the flowers in person finally. Removed 'Louise Clements' and 'Purple Tiger', two roses I loved but they just declined and declined and declined. :( Moved 'Marie Daly' to the far better spot she deserved and she's covered with buds already, so that is like a new rose, too.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I have 4 of the Vintage imported roses coming, so I am looking forward to them. Of those, I am most interested in Bouquet d'Or, believed to be a stronger clone than the one commonly found in the USA.

I am also on Burling Leong's waitlist for Annie Laurie McD. I got one last year, planted it, and it immediately died. I have no idea what happened. I'm guessing some pathogen and for that reason will swap out the soil before trying again.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Like ispahan, I'm getting Firefighter and Oklahoma this year. At our Fall plant swap I came home with a bouguet of Stephens Big Purple and Heirloom, so beautiful, so of course had to order!

Also have Francis Dubreil on order, as well as three import roses from Vintage. I'm probably more excited about these orders than I've been in a long time.

I'll be interested in hearing about everyone's experience with Young Lycidas and Munstead.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Kippy get a long season one or figure out if you have early or late season and then get the opposite. There are some truly outstanding hybrids now in every shape you can imagine. The local nurseries just have the same old choices they always have so order from a specialty nursery. It's like if we only had the big box stores to choose roses from.

I'm still shopping for three more roses and I have a big list and am trying to choose only three.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I'm collecting Albas which means sometimes I order roses that look like other roses I already have - not particularly exciting but gratifying to flesh out the collection.

This year I'm excited about Rugelda and Harison's Salmon.

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Rosefolly, I would be very interested in hearing how the imported Bouquet D'Or does. I have this rose, which was in a poor spot but recently moved to a good spot. I love love love the blooms on this rose and am hoping it will do better in its new spot. It's been a somewhat weak grower though and would love to know there's a better clone out there somewhere.

• jlee160
    11 years ago

I have limited myself to five roses. Of the five, I am most excited for Lady Ashe. I keep finding more to add to my list of wants!

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    11 years ago

I am yet another one looking forward to Munstead Wood and Young Lycidas.
    But like Diane, I am having trouble finding the space to plant them.
    They arrived from David Austin U.K. last November.
    I managed to find a spot for Young Lycidas, but Munstead Wood had to go into the middle one of these pots.

{{gwi:230503}}

I had also earmarked spaces for Annie Laurie McDowell, Grandmother's Hat and Oklahoma, from Bierkreek, but they are sold out until next autumn.
    So they are a delayed anticipation.

With so many of us with new Munstead Wood and Young Lycidas, it will be interesting to compare notes, as the season progresses.
    Daisy

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

I'm excited about all the roses I have coming this season.;)

From Greenmantle Nursery, California (nice-sized own-root roses grown organically):

Rosa californica plena--I have multiple selections of Rosa californica which are all doing beautifully, so I'm curious about a double-flowered one (even if it turns out to be a R. nutkana cross instead as I like that rose a lot too). Should be big and wild!

R. pendulina--all those purpley-pink flowers are enticing, and I dig those crazy hips shaped like lopsided cucumbers with prickles.

R. canina LAXA--crystal white flowers always look nice in the garden, and this rose has the added benefit of hips brimming with vitamin c and that are often used to make yummy tea

Rose de Rescht--it's a bloomi machine locally even in partial shade, plus it is powerfully fragrant. Yet another excellent damask to add to my collection.

From Forest Farm, Oregon:

R. setipoda: beautiful pink single flowers with white centers are very striking, and I like roses with lots of leaflets like this (7 to 9), thorns are very ornamental (and numerous!), plus it is supposed to be apple-scented

Darlow's Enigma: a blooming fool, producing a mass of white flowers in the garden, it's very fragrant and supposed to bloom almost continually (I hope it is like an extra large version of Cassie which does bloom continually here)

R. glutinosa: a pine-scented rose has lots of appeal, but I don't know for sure yet if it's coming as they showed ONE in inventory and are sending someone out to check to see if it is shippable

Annececilia--Polareis is a great rose in my garden, just starting to break dormancy now, flowers are lovely and look like the most delicate porcelain (but tough as nails really!) while the buds are scented strongly of tropical fruit which is quite a nice bonus

Melissa

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

I've had my first Young Lycidas for 2 seasons now, and I love it so much I bought a second last fall. I love the fragrance, love the color, love the form. Then I purchased a young Munstead Wood also in fall, and was lucky enough to get a few blooms before winter. They were very dark red, with a lovely fragrance.

Think all of you getting these will be very happy.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

I'm most excited about:
    Sombrieul
    Ferdinand Prichard
    souvenir de la malmaison
    Pope John paul (3rd tries a charm I hope)
    Valencia
    Buff Beauty

I also temporarily lost my mind and bought Laguna (Hoovb's picture made me lose all will power and buy it even though I have NO WALL SPACE LEFT)-- and Rosarium Ueterson! (Kims pictures on HMF!) tho I can't really keep climbers in a pot ghetto..... I suppose I'll be gifting those to someone I visit regularly.

Oh- Last seasons climbers that I am hoping to see bloom more are zepherine drouhin and souvenir du docteur jamain- thornless which helps.

• zjw727
    11 years ago

I'm excited about a lot of roses this Spring: I'm finally allowing myself to acquire Lady Hillingon...we'll see if there is enough heat for her here. Even if it's a failure, I'm going to try. Jenny Duval: I don't care if she has a terrible reputation for suckering- the color of the flowers is worth it, and maybe my clay soil will slow her down a little. I can't wait to see what my band of Gruss an Coburg does: it's putting out all kinds of new growth! In October, I rescued two beat up and abandoned 5-gallon pots of 'New Zealand'. The color and scent are lovely, and I think it's the kind of "Modern" hybrid tea that should make some people think twice about "no moderns" snobbery. I'm also VERY excited to see the Spring behavior of the 5-gallon plant of Zephirine Drouhin which I was given to me last summer. I've never grown her before, and I've read a lot of complaints about stingy re-bloom, but mine had flowers on it all through August, September and October. Basically, I'm just excited about all roses, all year long.

• ms. violet grey
    11 years ago

question:

Does Young Lycidas like full sun?

Is shade from the shadow of the fence okay?

I received it as a bareroot, no leaves this month.

I want to provide the best possible location for

it to thrive!

• msjam2
    11 years ago

I am super excited about WS 2000, The Alnwick Rose, Young Lycidas and Teasing Georgia the most. I got a bunch of roses and daylilies last fall, created a new huge bed and I can't wait to see everything come together.

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

I have both Young Lycidas and Munstead. It's a shame that both of them don't bloom at the same time! When one finish blooming, the other just begin blooming.

Young Lycidas can put up with full-sun much better than Munstead Wood. Munstead wood can get minor powdery mildew when air circulation is poor.

Young Lycidas colour is a shade or purple-red - not really my favorite colour, but at least the blooms are big with long stems and great for flower cuttings.

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

I just ordered:

1) Souvenir de La Malmaison (bush) - The youtube video clip had convinced me to get one - it's such a romantic looking rose. I had tried growing the climbing version in the past and it didn't worked for me, so I'm hoping the bush variety is a lot better.

2) Claire Rose - another rose with beautiful blooms and look almost like SdLM. I read that this rose is disease magnet. I'm not worried about that as long as they perform well in the vase and look pretty.

3) Gertrude Jekyll - She may not be the most beautiful rose in the world, but I miss her fragrance so much!! I had tried growing this rose twice in the past, but ended up throwing them away due to mozaic like patterns on the leaves and lanky growth habit. This time, I will have to put up with those flaws.

• annesfbay
    11 years ago

All of them! Besides the ancient looking HTs (and a few gems like Mermaid and Felicite et Perpetue) we inherited when we bought our house four years ago, all my roses are newly planted or about to be planted. I am impatiently waiting to see them start growing. The roses are Grandmothers Hat, Old Town Novato, Leonie Lamesch, and Elisabeth's China from the Sacramento Cemetary Rose Sale last year; Marie Pavie, Comtesse du Cayla, Baptiste LaFaye, Britannia, Reine de Violette, Martha Gonzales, Pleasant Hill Cemetary, Miss Lowes Variety and Mableton Crimson from Vintage; Renae from Burlington, and Snowbelt from Heirloom.

• cath41
    11 years ago

Secret Garden Musk. It has been over-wintering in a pot in the garage but the branches are brown - maybe it will come from the roots. It had enough blooms before winter for me to fall in love with the scent. Jeri warned me that it would be too cold sensitive for here but the order was already placed and I do not change orders once placed. Time will tell.

Cath

• msjam2
    11 years ago

I am super excited about WS 2000, The Alnwick Rose, Young Lycidas and Teasing Georgia the most. I got a bunch of roses and daylilies last fall, created a new huge bed and I can't wait to see everything come together.