SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_m61

Botany of Man from Snowy River Poem

Bob M
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Slightly off topic, but this is the closest forum I've been able to find on the net...

"The Man from Snowy River" is an iconic Austraian poem by AB (Banjo) Paterson. It was said (by Paterson) to be set in the Burrinjuck region, NSW, where Paterson had owned land. I'm fascinated by the botanic references. He talks about clumps of mimosa (presumably a wattle, though hard to guess which) and wild hop bush (Dodonea spp. would fit this well). But he also refers to "Where mountain ash and kurrajong grew wide", which puzzles me. Mountain ash (Eucalyptus regnans) is limited to Tas. and Vic. (though I did see one distribution map with an intriguing marking around Canberra/Yass region). Maybe he meant alpine ash (E. dalrympleana), which would fit. But then kurrajong? Usually this means Brachychiton populneus; I only recall the Burrinjuck area from childhood, but it just doesn't seem a likely area for B. populneus, especially in a mix with alpine ash. As far as I can find, Kurrajong is only used for Brachychiton species; B. populneus and B. acerifolius seem to be the only ones that grow anywhere South of Newcastle and I'm pretty sure B. acerifolius won't grow wild that far West (too dry, too cold) - besides it's not usually called kurrajong as far as I know. Maybe kurrajong was once used for other genuses? Kurrajong in the Blue Mountains also doesn't seem a likely area for B. populneus, though a history of the place says that species of kurrajong once grew wild in the area - but which species? Any thoughts?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions