SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_jennings49

Need advice and comments on my Hydroponics Setup

Jason
7 years ago

Hello,

I had some Sears points that were going to expire and I decided to buy some "self watering" vertical pockets to try them out. I bought 14 of them for 42 plants. I was going to build a wall out of cedar and hang it on my deck railing and just do a traditional soil based wall system. While I was waiting for them to arrive, I started to learn about hydroponics. After receiving the product, I thought they could be used to make a hydroponic system, so I started to build a system. I got some directions from the manufacturer on how to make these self watering.

I am new to Hydroponics, so I wanted to run my setup by some people. I built a cedar frame and installed 12 of these on one frame. 3 sets (each set is 3 pods in one piece) on 4 rows. I then connected each row to each other using tubing. I tested this out and all rows fill with water and I believe I can maintain a level I desire by controlling the rate of flow. My plan is to fill the interior fill baskets with some sort of growing medium for the plant to take root. Then there will be a constant level of water in each pot, anywhere between 2-5" inches. Then I will circulate water using a tank and pump. As the water on the top fills, it will flow down to the next level ect, then back into the water tank. Here are a few pictures of the pots filled with water:

Here are a few pictures. One of me testing the flow. After getting the initial levels right, I added orange soda to see how the water would distribute from the top down and it seemed to spread well to all pods.

Here is a picture showing how it will be installed at my house:

I plan to put the tank beneath it and run tubing to the top row. I will us a submersible pump to push water up and start the flow down. Should I use an air stone or an air pump with this setup? Also, is my setup sound enough? Meaning, I plan to keep a constant level of water in each pot and have it cycle through using the input of the tubes. The tubs fill at the bottom of the pot which will push the older water down and out of the system. So, basically a growing medium for it to take root and a constant flow of water and the bottom of the roots. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH