SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mystearica

Creative Ways to Make Garden (Vining Plants) Work?

mystearica
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey,

So.. I live in a zone 6b - first year gardening ever. I'm a complete newbie. Basically my entire backyard is just plain... super resilient crab grass (I mention this for a reason). Point is... I spent a couple of days tilling the soil, to remove weeds (and even longer convincing my mother to allow me to plant in her garden).

So I started a bunch of plants from seed in the beginning of May (indoors) - not thinking they would work, I also bought actual plants - funny thing is every plant I sowed from seed is better than the already established plants from store..... and well... I had no idea what I was getting myself into (I do NOT regret this... it's been so much fun! Even though I'm weeding daily). Point it... a lot of what I started from seeds - didn't have thorough instructions on how big the plants would be/far apart to plant them - but ultimately it's my fault for not looking them up.

My vining plants - watermelon + cantaloupe... are about to engulf the entire garden. I keep moving their vines to different location - but as you can see - I can either place them on the start of the weed bed or onto other plants (where it starts to hold onto them). I'm pretty much placing the vine branches next to each other at this point. Any creative ideas what I can do for them? They are growing at an enormous rate!! I was thinking a trellis - BUT pushing the plant upwards - wouldn't that cause stress on the plan especially when the fruit comes out (and it weighs a ton)? I'm trying to find a creative but cost-effective method and hoping someone here has some advice.

Right now I thought of a nice "arch" - but a short/wide one instead of a tall one (not sure where I'd find something like that).

Anyway any advice is appreciated!

Comments (5)