SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Anyone growing trillium from seed?

docmom_gw
7 years ago

I have a healthy patch of trillium grandiflorum ( the big white ones, single blossom) that appear to have been pollinated, so are developing nice, plump seed pods. Some have already dropped to the ground and had seeds carried off by the ants. I got to watch them scrambling away with seeds as big as they were themselves. Anyway, I understand that trillium are endangered because so many are taken from wild areas to sell. It takes seven years to raise from seed to blossom, so almost no one raises them commercially from seed. I wondered if there is anyone visiting this forum who is interested in raising them from seed, and if they would be interested in having some of my seed to work with. I already have lots of volunteer seedlings at various stages of development in my woodland garden, so I would be happy to share. I don't know how important it is to get them fresh or keep them moist, etc, etc. I still have several (a bunch) of seed pods ripening. If anyone wants seeds, check back here. You can try messaging me, but I don't check my messages much.

Martha

Comments (3)

Sponsored