SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kingcobbtx7b

American Rose Society fertilizer strategy question

kingcobbtx7b
7 years ago

I am having to change up my fertilizer routine as I am no longer living where I can easily get Houston Rose Society fertilizer. I am going to keep Lady Bug John's recipe in my rotation as I like it, but in looking for another fertilizer to replace the previous one, I came upon this suggestion on the American rose society.

"DEDICATED GARDENER Realizing roses require a steady source of food, and having the time to supply it, you are willing to adopt a bi-weekly fertilizer program for the big blooms. Start with an application of granular food as first growth appears in Spring. Then begin a program of liquid fertilizers, alternating the following on a two-week basis:

• Peters, Grow More or Verdi-sol: (all 20-20-20)
  • Fish Emulsion (5-1-1)
  • Green-Up, Deep Feed or Pentrex: (soil penetrant, fertilizers and iron, 16-4-2)
  • Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate)

Apply according to package directions, usually 1 Tbsp per gallon, 2 gallons per bush. Add Epsom Salts at 1/4 C per bush, either dissolved in the liquid feeding or sprinkled straight from the package onto the soil. A periodic dose of iron chelate added to the fertilizer may be required for deep green foliage."

First I am curious if anyone has used this? I am considering doing it as syphon device as that is easier then lugging the 5 gallon bucket and refilling it for all 25 or so roses.

2nd, I am curious on the Peters and such being 20-20-20. HRS fertilizer is 28-14-10 so I am curious about the difference.

3rd, I am not yet certain if I need it, but the penetrant ferts I can't find any under those names?

I will use Johns recipe as the fish emulsion.

Comments (6)