SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theparsley

Question - an awkward place to pupate

theparsley
7 years ago

I have a question for the butterfly-raising experts. I have five black swallowtail pupas (pupae?) in a pop-up mesh cage. Four out of the five (all at different times) chose to attach themselves hanging from the seam along the top of the cage, like so (two of the four are in this picture)

Fine so far. Then, the fifth, which took its sweet time getting ready to pupate and didn't get to it until several days after the others finished, decided while I wasn't looking to attach itself to the *underside* of the piece of paper towel that is on the bottom of the cage. I guess the paper towel was not lying flat all the way around and there was just enough clearance under there for the caterpillar to attach itself underneath. It hasn't finished and shed its caterpillar skin yet, but it's in the "comma" stage. Can't see it too well in this picture, but I have pulled up the paper towel further than it originally was from the cage floor.

Should I do something to move the chrysalis to another part of the cage, maybe take the piece of paper towel and attach it to the top or sides? (I would not do this until the chrysalis is fully formed, in any case, which should be in another day or so.) I'm concerned that the butterfly will get caught under the paper towel as it tries to emerge, and get its wings bunged up. But maybe that isn't really a problem, because the paper towel is light enough for the butterfly to push it off. I would welcome the voices of experience!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction