SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eek76

Trouble with nest box

eek76
7 years ago

Hi I am new to Bluebirding and recently had eggs hatch in my nest box. After a series of bad storms I checked on the new hatchlings and all 3 were dead. I am thinking possibly due to hypothermia. I cleaned out the nest and hoped I would see a new nest built. Sure enough there was a before long there were 4 new bluebird eggs inside. I checked them weekly and one day noticed there were only 2 eggs. I assumed a snake possibly ate the 2 others so I set up a net trapping and have been checking more often and the 2 eggs have been there. Today when I checked there was a hole in one egg and ants coming in and out of it. I am very upset because I was really hoping that the eggs and babies would survive this time. One egg is still there. I am unsure if the parents have abandoned this nestbox because I haven't seen them lately. Should I remove the broken egg with the ants and leave the egg that looks intact? Should I remove the entire nest? Have I possibly been looking in the nest too often. I am desperately wanting to have bluebirds successfully nest. :(

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County