SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A day in San Juan, Puerto Rico

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
7 years ago

Old San Juan is the place to be. History is there. The new business center of San Juan is blah. I have been to San Juan at least eight times and have always enjoyed myself. I will share part of one visit in late October several years ago while I was on a cruise.

El Moro guards the entrance to the harbor in San Juan. It has been there for many years and several groups have attempted to take on the fortress. I have been inside a couple of times and it is an amazing experience. (click on pictures to see a larger image.)
I had to do some research to determine that this is the US Customs House in San Juan. I took the shot because of the reflections. A cool building.
While walking the streets of Old San Juan, I chanced upon this plaque. Who'd a guessed?
Juan Ponce de Leon was the first governor of San Juan. He died somewhere else (maybe Cuba?) and he was re-interred here in the Cathdral de San Juan Bautista. It was cool inside and peaceful, however their lighting was non-existent and I could not get a decent long shot of the altar. The old convent is across the street and it has been fixed up as a hotel. There is a small park nearby for sitting and resting in this hilly city.
As I turned around from facing the cathedral this is one of the streets that was less traveled. Nice a shady and wonderful for walking while holding hands.
The pigeon man. Lots of goodies for the birds and I would be willing to guess that he appears daily at this spot and the birds know an easy touch.
Really! A neat place. All kinds of knick knacks for sale plus a very small cafe. If nothing else, the sign is great!
I had read about this place before we left. I had to ask a local to point me in the right direction. He said that he would do better and he led us there. He got a free drink from the hostess and I gave him some cash. There were tables on the sidewalk, but all were taken, so we sat inside and had some good food. Interesting selection of beers. The cafe is immediately across from where our cruise ship was docked and yet one could not see it because it was so small. We ate lunch and went back to the ship. It was another good day in Old San Juan.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions