SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_261765

Need help re oil based polyurethane on gym floor

HU-261765
7 years ago

I just built an indoor gym at my house, but not attached to my house. I used a big time wood basketball floor company for the maple wood floor. They have done high school and college gyms all over the place. They sealed the floor with oil based polyurethane. They put on 4 coats over 4 consecutive days. They said it would be safe after 5 days. But after 5 days, it still I I I just built an indoor gym at my house, but not attached to my house. I used a big time wood basketball floor company for the maple wood floor. They have done high school and college gyms all over the place. They sealed the floor with oil based polyurethane, although their quote said water based (and I am not to happy they did not use the product they said they would). I think they put on 4 coats over 4 consecutive days. They said it would be safe after 5 days. But after 5 days, it still smelled in there, but I thought it was just like new car smell. It was not unpleasant. It has never smelled as strong as a nail salon to me in there. But I did feel like I could kind of feel it in my eyes a little. My wife said she did not think it was a problem as she did not think the smell was strong and she felt nothing in her eyes. But after the smell persisted and after I had let my kids spend the night in there one night and play basketball in there repeatedly, I started questioning in my mind whether the smell was safe. I looked into the matter and determined that the products used were:

http://www.poloplaz.com/world-class-sealer/

http://www.poloplaz.com/world-class-finish/

Unbeknownst to me, these products say it takes up to 30 days to fully cure. Would have been nice if the company that put in the floors had told me this. I contacted Poloplaz and they said the fumes after 5 days are not dangerous, but everything I read is to the contrary. Now I am freaking out a little that my kids were exposed to this. It has now been 31 days since the last coat of poly and I can still smell it. I have been using fans, opening window, HVAC, etc. I cannot get the smell to go away. And now I am feeling that I am having respiratory symptoms from breathing the smell, and very concerned about my kids. What should I do? I spent a ton of money on a gym that I feel like is a health hazard.

Comments (5)