SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Went "Pinesol crazy"

schoolhouse_gw
7 years ago

Whew, I'm sweating, taking a break. Awhile ago I walked into the bedroom and suddenly the blinders were off my eyes as I saw dust, cat hair, clinging what-evers, on furniture legs and woodwork and baseboards. UGH. I didn't have cleaning on the agenda this afternoon but I grabbed a bucket and some Pinesol and water and went nuts! Yeah, I know, Pinesol and furniture not so good for each other, but I didn't care today. If I walk in there later and everything has a white haze, nobody's fault but my own. Smells wonderful tho. : )

Where does all that crud come from anyway?(besides the cat). I see also that my baseboards and trim need re-painted to really look nice again, but oh I hate to paint. That is until I get started, I just need a shove.

Comments (22)

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I hear ya and you made me look. My dog has long black Pomeranian hair so what do I find all over the house... white cat fur and fibers and dust. I can sweep dust or do a damp wipe down and I still find it. My poison isn't Pine Sol. I like the green Fabuloso. It smells like apples. My family knows if they smell that I cleaned that day.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Someday I will have baseboards to worry about again lol I don't know how it just appears out of nowhere it must be gremlins!

• cheryl_okla
    7 years ago

I thought all my white dust bunnies was dog hair...nope it was Blue, my cat that has crossed over the rainbow. The white bunnies have come to an end :(

• FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

I'm still in love with Mr. Clean. LOL I need to do what you did in every room of my house.

• phoggie
    7 years ago

Exactly why I do not have a pet in my house!..just the thought of hair in my food makes me gag....

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

There's a lot of love under all of that hair.

• lisa_fla
    7 years ago

Did you know that you can add pinesol to your laundry? I've done it with towels and pet blankets.

• grainlady_ks
    7 years ago

Did you know Pine-Sol contains toluene which has been linked to pregnancy complications, birth defects, and developmental delays in children. Not sure what effects it has on pets.....

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I have heard that the phenol in Pine Sol may not be good for cats?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yikes, why is it still allowed to be sold?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

It's on a very long list of common household items that are hazardous to our health. I'm someone with pretty severe chemical sensitivities, so have become familiar with the worst of the worst.

Someone like me, or any couple wanting to become pregnant, pregnant women, children, those with compromised immune systems, and pets of any species can face problems with chronic exposures to the chemicals in our cleaning agents, detergents, artificial fragrances in anything, soaps, shampoos, new furnishings, and more.

We're bombarded on all sides, sometimes relentlessly. And it takes research to discover all of the ingredients, learn about possible side effects, and make decisions.

• lucillle
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with Rhizo, research is necessary. Then, you decide whether to use it or not. Many common substances around the house have risks and side effects, that doesn't automatically mean that they should not be sold, but it might mean that you should not buy them.

• User
    7 years ago

I really like Method products. They are not animal tested and smell great, especially the almond-scented wood cleaner and the mint-scented glass cleaner. They are not perfect, but not as toxic as some other cleaners.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

My grandpa used to use PineSol as a home remedy. He liked to tell the story of a child who was getting blood poisoning running up her leg. I guess the child was also dirty. My grandfather told the parents to stick the child in the tub and pour some PineSol in there. My grandfather said it got rid of the blood poisoning and the child didn't need to go to the doctor after all.

I might own some PineSOl someplace, but I don't use it. The smell certainly takes me back to a time and place when the old timers were still around.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I usually use just white vinegar and water for cleaning, but seem to always have a bottle of PineSol or Murphy's Oil Soap under the sink. The bottles last a long time.

• User
    7 years ago

adellabedella_usa My grandpa used to use PineSol as a home remedy.

That reminds me of the Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. :)

• User
    7 years ago

I just happen to LOVE the scent of most cleaning products. I always joke that if i could find bleach cologne I would wear it.

• pekemom
    7 years ago

I like PineSol lavender...

• User
    7 years ago

adellabedella, I agree with you. Today I *finally* cleaned the nose prints off my back door from our dog that died last month. It needed to be cleaned but iI kept putting it off.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Where does it all come from? I mean, I am so clean all the time, it must be the kid and cats, right? I aim for odorless. I am allergic/asthmatic and so I clean with baking soda/vinegar rinse or ammonia. In the end, it's fragrance free.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH