SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennlee2

Tiling job - acceptable or not?

jennlee2
7 years ago

We're having a sunroom addition put on our house and the floor tile started going in yesterday. The guy said he was going to do 1/8 inch spacing with spacers, as recommended by the manufacturer. However, it seems like he did not use spacers, or at least not for everything.

The spacing is quite varied. Some is 1/8 but some butt up tight against each other, and some have much wider gaps. And some boards are slightly slanted (not exactly parallel). He tells us we won't notice once the grout is in. Besides the visual look, we do worry with expansion/contraction that the ones that are too tight will be cracking or coming up.

Additionally, the tiles are not laid perfectly flat in all cases. Some are sticking up a bit on one end or the other (or the adjacent tile is too low). the tile is larger (6"x36") so I know it is probably difficult to get wholly even and matching up flat across every tile. I did not expect perfection, but I expected a professional job to be better than this one.

The installer says that the tile is just difficult because it does not have beveled edges, and that once it is grouted, the grout will smooth out any height differences between the tiles.

Some pics: http://imgur.com/a/ji4qH

So am I just overly concerned or is it really not a good job?

Comments (6)