Help ID this heirloom plant found in my dad's garden

tumblingcove

Help-my dad received a slip of this flower from his cousin in Indiana about 25 years ago. We live in Virginia(near Blue Ridge Mountains) and it grows beautifully here. He replants

hem each year by saving the seeds. We have no idea what flower it is. Thanks!!!

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Tumblin, it reminds me of Nasturtium....almost. Perhaps an old variant of that plant?

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I'm pretty sure it's not a Nasturtium, wrong flowers, wrong leaves, wrong everything. But I'm afraid I don't know what it is. Looks like something in the Scrophulariaceae. Maybe the Name That Plant Forum can help you. Some close ups of the flowers and other details would help. Can I see seed pods? Are there tendrils?

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

My first guess was the southwestern native Proboscidea althaeifolia who's long, curved seedpods, which give the plant it's common name of devils claw, were used by native people for basket making. However, based on the leaf shape this one is probably it's cousin native to the east, Proboscidea louisianica, or rams horn.

Save     Thanked by tumblingcove
macranthos(Z8B Portland OR)

Nice work Zach. Thats a new one for me. I don't think I've ever paid attention to what Devils claw looked like in flower...

Save    
tumblingcove

Thanks to all that replied!! Yep, its a Proboscidea louisianica!

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Will ya look at the proboscus on that thing!

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I was thinking that it looked like a devils claw but the leaves were wrong and your location was just plain wrong so I held my breath.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

No such restraint from me! I knew it wasn't nasturtium, but I didn't let that get in the way of making a post. So long as one uses terms such as "resembles", or "looks something like"...etc. you've got your plausible deniability, lol!

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Blimey - definitely learned something new. Never seen it before in my life and never even heard of the Martiniaceae.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

People wear the seed pods on their hat bands out west. Some of the western ones get a black and people polish them up real nice.They make outlandish forms.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

Glad we could help tumblingcove!

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know there was an eastern counterpart to devil's claw either, Mara. When I first saw the picture I said "those flowers ARE devil's claw, I know it!" But your right, the location was wrong. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have found their way to Virginia through some human intervention. But I decided to do a little research and then it came up! Leaves were a match, too so viola!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Common Boneset Helps Good Bugs Thrive
Support bees, moths and butterflies with the nectar of this low-maintenance, versatile and tactile prairie-style plant
Full Story
Small Homes My Houzz: Heirlooms and Family Art Fill a 1920s Bungalow
Personal touches trump a huge design budget for a Florida couple with a taste for Americana
Full Story
Fun Houzz Gardening Happiness Found ... in Potholes
By Houzz
Imperfections in roads and sidewalks become miniature works of art — and unlikely sources of joy — at the hands of a London gardener
Full Story
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More
Crystal Blue Aquatics LLC. is a family owned and operated swimming pool company, built on 25 years of experience... Read More