caseynfld

I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Wed June 29

caseynfld
7 years ago

My lilacs are blooming.

Comments (24)

• JoanMN
    7 years ago

From our spring trip. More wild horses than we had ever seen before. These are at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Medora, ND.

Foals all looked pretty new.

Watchful stallion.

• marcia_m
    7 years ago

Leptodermis--a small shrub that flowers mid summer for me. My lilacs bloomed several weeks ago.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Last night on a cruise. Gotta put the luggage in the passageway to be gathered during the night. Then, it gets on the pier, sniffed by the dogs and then placed in color-coded areas to be claimed. It is horrible, it gives on a sense of closure when it is not wanted or needed!

• caseynfld
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Never been on a cruise, didn't know you had to do this. What if you need things for the next morning? Are you allowed to keep a small carry on bag? What's stopping another passenger from stealing your bags????

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

You have to have everything that you might need in your cabin. I have never heard of anyone stealing bags. Who would want what is probably dirty clothes to take home!?

• caseynfld
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I pack more in my suitcase than dirty clothes! LOL

• lgmd_gaz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Marcia_m, I have 2 Leptodermis shrubs that the Japanese Beetles are feasting on. The shrubs have been there for 6 years and this is the first time the beetles have bothered them.

Finger galls on beech tree leaves.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Joanmn, I love seeing your photos. When we visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park three years ago, it became one of our favorite places. We are looking forward to an opportunity to revisit.

• JoanMN
    7 years ago

We love it there. So beautiful and so much wildlife.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Eastern milk snake

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh Annie! You'll photograph anything!!! LOLOL

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Well, I find wildlife a lot easier to shoot when they're dead. When they're alive, they keep moving!

• mare_wbpa
    7 years ago

Karen, you and I had the same thoughts about the possibility of the bags getting stolen. Great minds, as the saying goes.

• nicole___
    7 years ago

Annie that's horrible! Posting pics of dead, suffering and bleeding or dying wildlife. I flagged your post.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

Nicole,

It happens.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

casey, on a cruise for the last night when bags are set out, common practice is to keep valuables, toiletries, prescriptions, etc., with you in a carry-on or backpack or whatever you like to use. I think that's why Jim said "dirty clothes" because after the other stuff is stripped out, that's much of what's left.

• nicole___
    7 years ago

Jim...We don't celebrate it on a photo thread. What if she dislikes squirrels and shoots them...? Hey...it happens.....Jasdip...want to see squished baby squirrels all bloody? So inappropriate! Very offensive! I'm an animal lover and rescuer. I've nursed an injured snake back to health and released it.

• bob_cville
    7 years ago

If she intentionally killed the snake and then took pictures of it, I would agree with nicole. However if, as I believe, she chanced upon the poor snake, already dead, and merely took the picture to capture and celebrate the beauty of it, that is a different matter in my opinion.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

It's unlikely that someone celebrating the beauty of a snake would joke about its death. I'm with Nicole.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I am in the room and can hear you all, y'know?

I did not kill the snake. I was taking a walk and came across it, quite dead in the road. I didn't know what kind of snake it was so I took a pic hoping to identify it. I did. It was an Eastern Milk Snake. It was quite lovely with almost iridescent metallic copper tones in it's pattern.

I'm glad some are willing to rescue wounded animals, but I assure you, this poor snake was quite beyond rescue by the time I found him. Most likely it won't be there by tomorrow a.m. as some scavenger will enjoy recycling it. So it will exist only in its current state for a short time, and captured on camera.

I was sorry to see it killed, glad it died so quickly as opposed to in terror as most animals die, and glad that I was able to see it as it's probably the only way I'd ever get the chance. In all my years of walking, it's rare for me to come across any snake.

I'm sorry some of you find this image of death upsetting. Sometimes images, like life, can be upsetting. (Yesterday I posted a picture of a weed with a dead blossom which didn't seem to provoke the same reaction.) Death happens. IAC, the image was not to celebrate the death, but the beauty of what once was and the chance I had to see it.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

Annie, the photo does fit the original purpose of this thread, which--if I recall it correctly--was to share what's going on in your life. I wouldn't want to censor a contribution to the thread, but I'd much rather see a live snake than a dead, bloody one. And honestly, the joke bothered me more than the image.

But I don't represent everyone. Feel free to bring what's meaningful to you to the table.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

nicole___

What if she dislikes squirrels and shoots them...? Hey...it happens.....Jasdip...want to see squished baby squirrels? So inappropriate! Very offensive!

I'm happy to own what I do and say. I will not own someone else's what if's or wild suggestions and suppositions that have nothing to do with me or who I am, that only serve to inflame emotions and denigrate my character. I find that inappropriate and offensive.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Thanks, Alisande. I get that some folks won't appreciate the caption. I've deleted it.

...but I'd much rather see a live snake than a dead, bloody one.

Me too.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022