SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shari13_gw

No dresser in bedroom - do you miss it?

shari13
7 years ago

What do you use instead? So my latest stupid idea of the day instead of shopping for a new dresser that suits my needs better - maybe get rid of the dresser. . . Anyone done this?

Comments (30)

• nini804
    7 years ago

We store all of our clothes in our walkin closet....I LOVE not having a dresser in our room!

shari13 thanked nini804
  • Related Discussions

Something's Missing in the Bedroom

Q

Comments (66)
    I think I'd prefer to keep the colors more subtle than red. I have the rust carpet on the floor and there are bits of red in the embroidery on the kimono but I think that is all the strong color I want. I have a pair of chairs that are similar in tone to the background of the kimono. Right now they are in the LR, but they were bought for the bedroom. As soon as I get all of the furniture sorted out in the LR (my sofa has been sent back to the factory!), those chairs will return to the bedroom. I'm not sure where the burgundy suede chairs will end up. Maybe in a guest room. This Design Seed reminds me of the colors in the room
    ...See More

Is something missing? opinions on bedroom wall decor, please.

Q

Comments (50)
    Oh my! You poor dear. I hope the surgeries are all behind you now. My new tablet is actually heavier than most books I read, but I have a hospital style tray I use in bed for both real books and the tablet. I have a neck issue, nothing serious, but if I hold anything too long with any weight to it I'll be in pain for some time because of it so I decided to get a rolling bed tray. It's not very pretty, but it works. Some day I plan on using it as parts to build a solid wood tray.
    ...See More

What is missing from this bedroom?

Q

Comments (25)
    I like that bed frame/headboard. IMO, bedroom rugs should be where you can step on them when you are getting in or out of bed. I prefer the shaggy one; the 2nd seems too small. Have you thought about placing the bed on a diagonal to the corner. It seems like there is space for that. Perhaps some art on the walls and curtains/shades would make the room seem less sparse?
    ...See More

bedroom is almost done but something is missing???

Q

Comments (146)
    Okay. Thank you Julie. I’ll stick with the round mirror for my dads 60” vanity. Im sorry I stuck in another project that has a 48” vanity - does everyone think a 41” overall including 2” metal frame is too big?
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

We have a built in dresser in our walk in closet so we dont really need a dresser but I do have one. I like the look of a dresser in a bedroom but only if the room is large enough.

shari13 thanked User
  • H B
    7 years ago

I have dresser built into closet for years and love it.

shari13 thanked H B
  • peaches12345
    7 years ago

I have my dresser in the master, which is comparatively small with lots of windows. There was no room for my husband's large armoire. We have a walk in closet and the best money we spent on our new home was a professional closet organizer come in and do the entire closet with shelving, drawers and organized hangup space for long and short garments, and shoe shelves. It is fabulous and worth every penny. I use my dresser now for mostly out of season clothing. Everything in the walk in is open, neat, easy to see and get to, and we love it. The bedroom and the closet stays neat as a pin.

shari13 thanked peaches12345
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I have 2 dressers in my room now, but when I was younger, I put the dresser in the reach-in closet and hung my clothes around it...I really liked it.

shari13 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • patty Vinson
    7 years ago

I have 2 mirrored dressers in my closet since i'm planning on making it into a dressing room eventually.

shari13 thanked patty Vinson
  • C Marlin
    7 years ago

Haven't had a dresser for years and don't plan to ever have one. I like clutter free room, I don't need or want one more piece of furniture.

shari13 thanked C Marlin
  • sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

My closet is full of IKEA Pax units, including two sets of 39" drawers. No dresser in bedroom, not missed.

shari13 thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have an inherited Ethan Allen dresser and since my bedroom is large it fills up the space. I keep my jewelry in two drawers, nightgowns etc. in one and sweaters in another. My walk-in closet is very small so it helps.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

I've always liked putting my dresser in the reach in closet under a high rod for short clothing items. I've always had small bedrooms, and this clears up lots of floor space around the king bed.

shari13 thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • Jane
    7 years ago

I don't have room for a dresser in my master bedroom. I opted for 12" deep cabinets with mirrors above them, because that was what would fit in the space between the foot of my bed and the wall.

I use a separate guest room for my dressing room. It also has cabinets that hold folded clothes and serve as nightstands. My "dresser" in that room is cubes with baskets in the cubes and a mirror above. Some baskets hold accessories and socks, etc. Some serve as temporary hampers. The cubes give me a top surface like a chest of drawers that I can use to blow dry and style my hair while standing up. I am using the cubes instead of a chest of drawers because I bought them several years ago and I keep repurposing them.

Everything fits the spaces really well, whereas a dresser would not fit in any of these spaces.

shari13 thanked Jane
  • shari13
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Looks like my "new" idea is not new at all LOL and everyone else figure this out a long time ago! I was actually thinking of moving the smaller chest to closet, getting rid of the larger one. (I do have a big closet - plenty of free space).,

• zippity1
    7 years ago

we have a few built in shelves in each of the master closets i fold some clothes and put them on the shelves, i have a couple of baskets that fit the shelves and put small things in those we do have a chest in the bedroom, but no dresser i've done a lot of downsizing our wardrobes, we're much happier with less....

shari13 thanked zippity1
  • emilymch
    7 years ago

We have two dressers in our bedroom, but my long-term plan is to get rid of them and install a wall of Ikea Pax wardrobes in their place. We have a small walk-in closet, but it's very tight, and I'd love to have additional closet space. The wardrobes will include drawers for the folded items currently in the dressers.

For me, I find dressers provide another horizontal surface for clutter to accumulate, while closets/wardrobes don't. I keep my house pretty neat, but it's just so easy to leave things on top of the dresser! In our previous house, we had a wall of Pax wardrobes and even if the inside wasn't perfectly neat, we just slid the doors closed and the room was neat and clean and uncluttered!

shari13 thanked emilymch
  • User
    7 years ago

I have an old antique dresser that I store stuff in, but our bed has drawers under it and we have a walk in closet that suits our needs.

shari13 thanked User
  • practigal
    7 years ago

No dresser but one wall is entirely covered by ikea pax wardrobes and some of them have drawers.

shari13 thanked practigal
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

Another who doesn't "need" a dresser but we have one. It's antique with a beautiful carved piece above the mirror. It's kind of for odds and ends and I use the top two smaller drawers for accessories. The room is plenty large for it and a vintage armoire, that houses the tv, pillows and linens. We do have drawers and a cabinet at the end of our walk-in closet. The dresser is also a nice filler - it's between the doors to the walk-in and master bath.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I have a dresser and am not going to let it go. First, I found it refurbished on Craigslist, and it has a funny story of making it to my house)) (A bit scary too)

Second, it's roomy, and I keep lots of clothes there.

Third, it's another surface I can create a mess on. I keep there some books, and art, and a gift from my brother-a crystal bell of bohemian glass..and a painted glass tray with pens and papers and such. And I keep there my everyday bag. And it has a big vintage window over it, instead of a painting, and I like looking at all of it together:)

Truth is we also don't have organizers in our closet...I made it look and feel like it's organized, but no drawers there. Drawers are important..

shari13 thanked aprilneverends
  • rockybird
    7 years ago

I have no dresser in the bedroom, but it's in the walk in closet area. The less the better in the bedroom for me. When I get the master addition finished, I plan to only have a bed and two nightstands. Nothing else.

shari13 thanked rockybird
  • sas95
    7 years ago

We have two in our bedroom. Our bedroom is fairly large, and without furniture it would look barren. Plus, I really like the look of these pieces.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

My current bedroom has an armoire on one wall (for the tv) and a dresser on the other. The walk in closet has Elfa drawer units below the hanging space. The dresser in the bedroom serves no purpose other than filling in a blank wall and collecting clutter. The new house won't have room for two big pieces so I'm ditching the dresser. I'll probably move it to the guest room as I do like the piece.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Small house, small closets = need dresser. But I would love a walk-in which would not be do-able without an addition. Our BR's are not that big, but my dresser is a beautiful piece, though it's large. Since it's white distressed it's definitely "out" of style now, but I have no desire to get rid of it.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    7 years ago

Small house here, so YMMV. My DH and I each have a highboy because our room is very small with a shallow closet along one wall. So nope, cannot get by w/o a dresser.

However, my children do not have dressers. They share a room and each have twin captains beds. Each bed has four drawers and a middle cabinet. They store jammies, socks, undies in the drawers toward the foot of the bed and books/small toys in the drawers toward the front of the bed. All their clothes go into the closet, but I have to rotate the clothes 2x/year because there isn't enough room for a full year of clothes for both.

If you have enough closet space that you don't need a dresser, go for it. My kids don't even have space in their room for a dresser, but even if they did I prefer their current set-up.

• Houseofsticks
    7 years ago

We keep everything in walk-in closet. Socks/underwear are in open baskets on shelves. Don't miss it for clothing. We have a dresser (antique) we keep pictures and extra blankets & quilts in it. I think I'd miss the top of it more than the drawers for lamps & jewelry boxes.

• sloedjinn
    7 years ago

No dresser but we do have a storage bed with drawers and nice size reach in closets. Plus I kon-maried my wardrobe so it more than fits in the space I have.

shari13 thanked sloedjinn
  • laughablemoments
    7 years ago

I use an antique primitive pine cupboard, which was probably originally for home canned food. It's 6' tall, so too high to collect clutter on top , 36" wide, and about 12" deep. I keep small baskets/boxes on some of the shelves inside for socks and undies. It works well, and I can see everything at once by swinging the doors open. No need to rifle through drawers.

• joyce_6333
    7 years ago

We have two dressers back to back in the middle of our master closet. Love it!! Takes a big closet to do that, but it's so convenient. I like the bedroom without dressers.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I have two dressers in my bedroom. Although it's a relatively small bedroom, the dressers fit and there's no room in the closet for them. Even if I could move them, I really don't see what I would gain with the extra space. I'm afraid I need flat surfaces on which to put my stuff.

• designsaavy
    7 years ago

I actually have a China buffet with drawers in my bedroom that works as a dresser for my things. We have a small walk in closet . So, we bought some heavy duty, vented plastic drawers that are stackable and placed them underneath dh's hanging clothes for him. We usually store away seasonal items until needed .

shari13 thanked designsaavy
Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus