SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

KAW- Greek Chicken Sausage

mushcreek
7 years ago

Chicken sausage always seems so 'blah', but this one is one of our favorites! I call it 'Greek' because of the seasonings, but in Greece, they don't seem to ever make chicken sausage. I use chicken thighs as they have more flavor, more fat, and can sometimes be found for a steal. These were only $.58 a lb.!

I started with about 8 lbs. of bone-in thighs, and got a little over 5 lbs. of meat. Save the bones for stock!

I cut the meat into small enough pieces for the KA meat grinder, and put it in the freezer until it is a little frozen. Meanwhile, put the chopped, frozen spinach in a colander to thaw and drain. I squeeze the excess water out pretty good.

I grind the spinach and feta cheese along with the meat, as the cheapo spinach I bought has a lot of stems, and the feta has some big clumps. I use the small plate on my KA meat grinder attachment.

And ground:

Lots of spices in sausage-

I mix the spices in by hand, very thoroughly. I'm always afraid that all of the cayenne will end up in one patty if I don't mix it enough! Once mixed in, the paprika gives it a nice color so it looks like 'real' sausage. I refrigerate the mixture overnight to let the flavors meld, and always cook up a small sample to see if the spices need adjusting. As-is, this sausage has no heat, so I generally bump up the cayenne a bit. Depends upon who I'm serving it to.

Sometimes I stuff them into casings, but I didn't have any, so I just made patties. I made 4 oz. patties, getting 24 from this batch. A 4 oz. patty is plenty, as they don't shrink, and they have so much flavor. We like them cooked up with some peppers and onions and a slice of cheese on a nice roll. I put the patties on parchment, then froze them over night. The next day, they go in freezer bags. When cooking ground poultry, you need a little oil in the pan so they don't stick. On the grille, I spray both sides with cooking spray, and you have to be very careful not to flip them too soon, as they are soft and sticky until they get a good crust on them.

No, they're not as pretty as pattisue72's wonderful creations, but they're easy and somewhat healthy! People are sometimes intimidated by the idea of making sausage, but it's just ground meat and spices.

Greek Chicken Sausage

5 lbs. boneless chicken thighs (about 7-1/2 lbs. bone-in)

(2) 10 oz. packages of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 cup crumbled Feta cheese

1/2 cup dry milk powder

2 TBL dried marjoram

2 TBL ground black pepper

2 TBL minced garlic

2 TBL paprika

1 TBL salt

1 TBL onion powder

1/2 tsp. ground cayenne

5 tsp. white wine (or water)

At the same time as I was making sausage, my wife was making a cobbler from local peaches and our own wild blackberries. It sure is nice having a roomy, well-thought-out kitchen!

Comments (9)