SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayleighwareham

Need help growing cacti/succulents from seeds

CasualSweater
7 years ago

Hi, I have purchased some seeds and plan on growing them. I've never grown anything like them from seeds so any tips for success on growing them or caring for them would be greatly appreciated! I have bought Hoya seeds, Crassula pyramidalis seeds, crassula capitella seeds, blue sky cactus seeds, hawthoria cooperi seeds, agave Victoriae reginae seeds and a bag of mixed cactus seeds. I also already have an aloe plant that I think I've over watered, a hawthoria zebrina, orchid, moon cactus, echinopsis, anacampseros and a Japanese asplenium nidus fern so any advice for those would be great. Thanks in advance!

Comments (43)

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I forgot I plan to grow hildewintera colademononis from seeds. As well I plan to update this thread with any additional info I come across and pictures so others can learn from me!

• Related Discussions

Growing cacti from seeds for the first time

Q

Comments (5)
    Here are some links you might want to refer to: http://www.dbg.org/system/files/51/original/Growing%20Cactus%20from%20Seed.pdf?1279065271 http://www.bcss.org.uk/seedraising.php http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article21.php Good luck!!
    ...See More

Growing cacti & succulents from seeds

Q

Comments (16)
    Rina, I think I just bought the same package of seeds. Ferry Morse. I don't even really want any prickly plants, just overcome with curiosity about seeing some of these seeds sprout. Then I'll see how I feel about keeping them or finding homes... The info in this discussion makes me feel ready to try! Did you try yours? How did it go? Anyone else? Here's exactly what it says on the package, including the punctuation. "Perennial. Interesting desert plant, requiring little moisture. Easily grown from seed for indoor potted plants or for outdoors in Zones 1 and 2. Packet will produce approximately 15 plants. Contents: Saguaro, Hedgehog, Fishhook Barrel, Dollar Prickly Pear Desert. Prickly Pear, Christmas Cholla Cane Chollia, Santa Rita Prickly Pear, Cardo'n." That can't be right about the zones... There are at least 50 seeds in there, possibly 8 different ones, not sure. Anything different or more specific about the above advice for this experimental package?
    ...See More

share seeds from succulent and cacti

Q

Comments (5)
    The fruit of the plant will swell, and gradually turn from green to tan, brown, red in some species, golden in others. When the fruit ripens it will swell and burst open, I put tape so I won't lose the crop. Some plants are self fertile, others are not and need a partner. They are pollinated by hand, insects, birds, moths, etc. If you do it by hand you may pollinate each flower with a different partner, be sure to hang a tag on that flower with the fathers name. That way you will have plants that may be worth something for trade. Karen Zimmerman puts a tag on each hybrid with all six or more parents, however many that will fit. I was selling her plants today, and noticed this ID tags, on her plants. Any of you may edit this if you wish. I will not get my nose out of joint and will appreciate it if you do. Norma
    ...See More

Need help identifying my Cacti/Succulents

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. Can someone please help me identify what Family, Genus, and Species of cacti/succulents I have growing? I have uploaded pictures of each of my plants. If my plants have a nickname could you please give me that info also? Thanks.
    ...See More
  • CasualSweater
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I definitely will! I'm sure it'll be a long process!

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A few of the seeds I intend to plant over the next little while arrived today! Where I work we have tons of little containers so I planted my seeds in those and have them in a sealed plastic baggy. Before planting I microwaved the soil like I've heard and hopefully they grow!

• rredbbeard
    7 years ago

How did these do for you? Any advice?

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's been a while but from my attempt last year I only got two plants that successfully made it uncovered and even those are still iffy. I took the soil from last year and replanted the leftover seeds last week and I've already got three little sprouts! Here's a picture of last years babies I have no idea what they are and how to best care for them so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated! I'm afraid of over watering them and under watering them and too much sunlight and not enough sunlight haha, I've never done this before!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Are they translucent:(?

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They're definitely lighter in colour than they were 2 days ago, which is when I started to worry about them

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

From what I can see they look like they may be dead. Could you take a better pic? I have had this happen to cactus seedlings. Never really investigated why. Assuming it has to do with moisture and maybe not enough light. I really don't know tbh.

Here is a pic of Ferocactus seedlings. Same environment just the ones on the left all but 2 or 3 are dead. I'm wondering if it has more to do with light. On the left side all those clear blobs are dead cactus seedlings:(. The ones on the right are healthy and robust:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think you might be right unfortunately, everything was fine until I accidentally let them get a little dry.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

They're goners:(. All a learning lesson.

A little tip that container is way too big for that little guy. That could have been your problem. When it comes time to give them their first repot what I do is weed out the smaller ones and keep the best looking ones. Then I put them all in a small container. I'm only speaking about the same species of cactus. I wouldn't do a mixed pot of cactus seedlings:).When still small I don't separate them individually, and pot them up individually. I still keep them crammed. Your little guys weren't ready to be in such a big container on their own.

Here is a little example of some Notos:).

Sowed around the beginning of July2016.

Middle of July 2016. Little green nubs.

Sept.3, 2016

Oct. 9, 2016

See how many there are:).

Around this March or April I weeded the healthiest ones out, and gave them their first repot:). I still keep a lot in one pot. Probably next spring I will be able to fit maybe 4-5 in a 3 inch container. Cactus seedlings won't grow faster in a bigger pot. They actually will do the exact opposite.

Pic taken a few days ago. Same cactus seedlings as above:).

I still keep these guys inside. Definitely not ready for outside. The 2 year mark they should be:).

When it comes to growing cactus from seeds it takes a huge amount of patience. Usually the first 4-6 months they grow pretty quickly. There are some cactus I've heard take their time to germinate. Generally people hear cactus take forever to grow from seeds. Then they get all excited:). Then at about the 6 month mark the growth rate slows down. So people just loose hope or try to move them along so they will grow quicker.

Usually the cactus seedlings die with the first transplant.

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll definitely keep it in mind for round 2 haha! Even though they're most likely dead I'm not quite ready to give up on them but it couldn't hurt to put them in the same pot and hope they make a comeback, even though I doubt they will

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Out of curiosity, why does it make a difference how many are in a pot together?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Has to do with the amount of soil and how much moisture it holds. Most succulents especially cactus have very shallow roots. Succulents do much better in containers that fit them just right. When it comes to succulents if you had to choose from two pots one that is too big or the other one that's too small. Go for the small pot:). The more crammed the better they seem to do. If there's all this soil that soil is holding on to moisture. From my experience I have found with all my succulents they don't like to swim in their soil. I'm sure there is some succulent out there that goes against this, but I have no experience with it:).

I know this woman and her potted succulents never look all that great. It's because she plants them in way too big of pots. She does water them like a crazy lady too. So she has two things that are no bueno for succulents. I tell her, but she never listens:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That makes sense, thanks so much for your help!

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So far I've been having much better luck with my second batch. How do I know when I should repot them for the first time? Should I wait for them to be a certain size or a specific amount of time? Since I planted a mixture and new things are sprouting everyday I'm not ready to replant yet but I was wondering how to know when it's time.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Normally I will sow cactus seeds in the summer, then give them their first repotting the next early spring. The new baby cactus are usually ready and strong enough.

Like these Ferocactus seedlings below I sowed in May look like they would be big enough to repot. Unless something happens where I need to give them their first repot, they will stay in this container till probably March:). I think sometimes people get excited and repot to quickly. Just wait and let them get strong roots. Plus in the winter their growth will slow down big time.

I feel like I should add since you live in a cold climate during the winter. You may want to think about getting a heat mat. I don't use one because I don't think it's necessary where I live:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much! I'll look into the heat mat! And any advice at all is very very appreciated! Right now my cactus babies mostly look like the size of the little ones in the back of your picture, so I'm nowhere near ready to repot them yet haha

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I would wait till March. Unless something out of the norm happens.

Or just ask if unsure:).

• LH CO/FL
    6 years ago

Kara, do you move the entire array of seedlings in to a single bigger pot all as one piece?

I start mine in shallow plastic takeout containers and usually have to move them because they're hitting the top of the plastic lid or the soil has gotten hard and caked. So, they usually go a few into a small 2" pot. But I like your idea of keeping them together longer.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

They basically are like a seedling cactus carpet:). Some parts of the cactus carpet if I can't separate I leave together. I don't want to rip them apart. Since they're so little. So it's like a mixture of entangled seedlings and loners in the container above. Not the Ferocactus container. Next spring I will seperate them all. Probably put around 4-5 in the same type 3 inch container.

All depends on the type cactus of course. The older ones above came from the Noto below. So it's a small clumping cactus. But I'm sure if you were growing Trichocereus pachanoi seedlings the babies would be bigger in the first year. You would probably be able to separate the cactus carpet, and grow a few in a 3 inch container by their first spring. I've found the closer they are together the better they do. As long as they're not squeezing each other of course:).

• Pagan
    6 years ago

Two years indoors?! I wish I'd known that before I moved my 8-month old seedlings last month. They're sheltered and in the shade but outside in the heat---should I move them back in, Kara? I've never had cacti seedlings survive this long. They look kind of sad, though. Also, they are ariocarpus seedlings and way slower than your notos.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I'd bring em back in. Especially since they're only 8 months. It just all depends on the species, but since Arios are so slow I would think they would do better inside. Are they turning shades of red?

• LH CO/FL
    6 years ago

I put my 5-month-old Cereus Peruvianus babies outside. Some got sunburned and struggled but a few are going strong - 4-inches tall. I started a second batch that I'll keep indoors for a while longer this round. If they all survive, I'll have about 30 to share. :)

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

It all depends on the genus:).

I would guess Cereus seedlings would grow big fairly fast. It's a big fast growing cactus:). Like my Ferocactus rectispinus above probably won't need to be inside for 2 years. I should be able to pot up 2-3 in one 2" pot next spring, and put outside somewhere protected. They're a medium/large sized cactus.

When the seedlings are small you gotta be careful. Like Ariocarpus are slow growers and stay pretty small when mature. Even the bigger species are still fairly small. So their seedlings are slow growers and small. Plus in the winter all this growing slows down. Which is totally annoying:(.

Here's what I mean:).

This little Pilocereus is probably 2 years old give or take some:). He's roughly 4" tall and 3/4 of an inch at his widest part.

This Ariocarpus I'm gonna guess is about 6 years old. He's about an 1 1/2" across and 1/2" tall. Way smaller, but way older:).

This is why mixed bags of cactus seeds are not good because they're all different:).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Ok guys I decided to sow the seeds I've been meaning to do:). They are freshly sown and I took pics. Maybe it will help somebody:).

I microwaved about a cup to a cup and a half of just cactus mix in a microwave safe container. Very important using a microwave safe container. I almost started a fire when I tried to microwave the cactus mix in the plastic container. Whoops:). When it cools down I put it in Ziplock containers. I put two different seeds in one container and make a line with some toothpicks. It's probably best to use one container for each type of seed, but I don't have that many Ziplock containers right now.

The cactus seeds I used are about the size of poppy seeds so I don't even bother to bury. No need when that small. I also tape labels to the bottom with the name and date sowed. Thanks Alaine for the Noto roseoluteus:). The other one I know is a Noto, but couldn't remember which one. It'll be a nice surprise:).

Just spray down real good and cover. I use plastic wrap and a rubber band. I don't use the tops because they're blue and make it harder to see the baby cactus:).

Then I just set in my guest bathroom because it gets a little afternoon sun not much. Just enough. Plus the window is frosted so the sun can't get to crazy even if wanted too;).

Now I wait and wait and wait:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm interested to see how they turn out!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I will keep you guys updated of course:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So far I have at least 15 little babies (much better than my last batch of 2) and even though I'll probably have to wait for years to figure out what they are I'm very curious!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

It's a fun suprise! Just be patient with them:). No need to rush anything. I would say if everything goes right next spring you can kinda weed them apart a little and put them in tiny little pots:).

I've had this happen when I have a bunch off seeds and the seedlings are really crowded. Once I seperate a little there will be new babies in between the bigger ones. The tiny ones were getting trapped by the big guys:). So when you seperate a little it gives those smaller ones a chance:).

Im gonna do one more batch today. I found seeds lastnite on my Gymnocalycium schuetzianum:). I'm assuming it's self fertile sometimes. It was blooming the same time as my G. baldianum and they're right next to each other, so maybe they cross pollinated. It was a total surprise tho. This Gymnocalycium has had a few blooms all summer, but this time I got two seed pods. Interesting very interesting:).

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Since I planted more seeds in my soil from last year with the old seeds still in it I have no idea what anything is so I'm sure it'll be a fun little game figuring it out and watching them grow!

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Just repotted some Parodia scopa ssp rudibuenekeri seedlings. They were too low in the container and not buried enough. I separated these ones they're big enough. Just used regular cactus mix:).

The water is to rinse the soil off the itty bitty roots. I like planting bare root even this small;).

Sometimes it's hard to bury these little guys like how I normally would. So I lay the container on the side and plant them on levels.

I will water them tomorrow morning:).

• LH CO/FL
    6 years ago

How cute! And how smart not to use those covers. I left 4 containers of seeds starting while I was away for 4 weeks. I just got home but with the blue covers, I have no idea if any have sprouted. :(

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I bet some have:).

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    6 years ago

Sharing, keep the lid cover.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Very nice:). What are they?

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    6 years ago

There r free gift Cactus mixed seeds when bought online.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Oh man it's gonna take years to figure out what they are:)!

• Cactus Zach
    6 years ago

Hey CasualSweater. I've been growing plants since I was a kid, 25+ years. But I've only recently gotten into Cacti and Succulents, for the past 5 years or so. My interest has quickly turned into obsession in those years. Most of what I've learned has come from forums such as this one on houzz and others like www.CactiGuide.com and www.SucculentGuide.com. As well as watching tons of videos on YouTube. There are a hundreds of great videos about growing cacti and succulents from seeds and I highly recommend you do some searches and watch.

I've created a Cacti Propagation playlist that might be a good place to start.

Cacti and Succulent Plant Propagation Videos

I hope this helps you! Happy Growing :)

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the help, I have a few more questions, now that my little babies have started to germinate. What should my watering schedule look like or what conditions should I maintain? What about air flow/ when should I begin to uncover them? And how much, if any, sunlight should they be getting?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

If you have no mold than there's no need to uncover yet. By about 2-3 month mark is when I uncover. It honestly just depends on what's going on in the container. My Ferocactus are uncovered now. Along with a couple other containers that had mold growing. As soon as I uncover the mold stops. I just have to remember to keep moist everyday. Instead of having them covered and not having to worry about them as much. I still have three covered. I will uncover those last three in a month or so. I don't like to keep them covered longer than three months because I feel like they start to need air circulation. Everybody does it different I'm sure. Whatever works:). As long as you keep them moist with some filtered light, they should be fine.

All my seedlings are in a north west frosted bathroom window. This would never be enough light for most mature cactus, but the seedlings don't need direct sun. You can see the window in the above pic. That's how much light they get till about 3:30-4:00pm then as the sun is going down they get some sun.

I don't know if you've seen this YouTube video, but this guy is germinating Astro seeds. I get the vibe he doesn't keep them covered long at all, but you can see he keeps them very moist because once you uncover the water evaporates pretty quickly:).

Video:)

• CasualSweater
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great! When I do uncover them, would you recommend I leave the container in some water to keep them moist then allow to dry a little before refilling the water? Or just use a spray bottle on them frequently?

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

I just use a spray bottle once or twice a day:).

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery