SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coleyt31

Monstera propagation

coleyt31
7 years ago

Hi,

I have a variegated Monstera Deliciosa houseplant which has outgrown itself, which I plan to take cuttings from and start again, in a more managed way. The plan is to take several cuttings and plant them in the same pot, around a stake. At the same time, friends have expressed an interest in getting cuttings as well, as the variegated variety seems fairly unusual.

All the research I've done online about propagation involves removing the growing tip, which will root easily and continue to grow. I've done this before and it's easy enough.
However, there are only 2 growing tips on the plant.

Are there other ways to propagate it? For example, could I take an intermediate section of main stem, with leaves attached, and root this in the same way as a section with a growing tip? Or, will sections of the main stem root either vertically or horizontally in compost, in the way that apparently can be done with certain other houseplants such as Draceana?

Thanks,
Tom

Comments (28)

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

You'll get new shoots from the leaf nodes along the stem. So, potentially, you could get as many plants as you have nodes. But cutting the stem too close to the node could let rot set in so you need to be careful. Some people do lots of 3 nodes so there's less chance of problems.

coleyt31 thanked tropicbreezent
  • coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the advice - will give it a go! Would you root these cuttings (intermediate stem sections with nodes) in water or compost? Any other tips to increase liklihood of success?

• Related Discussions

Monstera propagation fail?

Q

Comments (2)
    Those look like nice healthy ground roots to me! I think you are on your way to a healthy new plant.
    ...See More

Variegated monstera propagation

Q

Comments (1)
    They typically brown over the cut area as they callus. Hard to tell from the photo if that is normal or not.......but you should be able to feel it. If it is soft and squishy it is rot, if it is reasonably firm probably just normal callus. IF it is soft......cut it back further up, past the brown soft tissue. Why root in water?? I find these guys root fast in high humidity and warmth. Fill a pot with a nice loose open soil mix and lightly moisten. Plant your cutting. Put the whole thing in a very large clear bag. Put it in bright but indirect light (not sun.........you don't want to cook it inside the bag). after about two weeks it will have nice roots, gradually open the bag more and more. That is a nice big/fat cutting, can we see a photo of the parent plant for fun?
    ...See More

Monstera Albo Propagation Help

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, My Monstera Albo was almost died. I gave it to my friend who restored it water only and gave me back. Now the problem is after few months three leaves grow but they are small and not even variegated. Any idea what should I do next. Transferred it in Leca fertilizer soil? I will appreciate your help. Picture is attached.
    ...See More

Help, my monstera has no roots?

Q

Comments (4)
    propagating in water, however these stems are nearly 2-3 foot long! ==>>> imo ... you will never grow enough roots to succeed with cuttings of that size ... especially long term.. in water ... watch a few of these vids ... and take note of the size they are using ... and how to do it in media... rather than water ... and then take at least one of the huge cuttings and cut it up and do it ... this plant should be pretty easy to succeed with.. if you do it the right way ... ken almost forgot the link: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=monstera+propagation&t=ffcm&iax=videos&ia=videos
    ...See More
  • oldmangroot
    7 years ago

Hi Tom,

from everything I've read these propagate very easily. Make sure each section has a node or two above and below the soil line. I would use soil, but I've never had any luck propagating in water. Ultimately though it depends on your environment. I'm in south Florida, so it's warm and humid, which seems to make soil propagation much easier, but rot in water much faster.

would you be interested in a trade? I've been looking for this plant for a while.

coleyt31 thanked oldmangroot
  • coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Yes I am in the (wet and cold) UK, so we're certainly talking about indoor cultivation here!

oldmangroot - I would be interested in a trade if we were in the same part of the world!

Russ - it's the white variegated one. Here's a picture of part of the plant below. It's a nice looking form of variegation. I've never had a problem with growth reverting to solid green, although I have noticed the white areas are annoyingly susceptible to browning. As far as I can tell, I think its the smaller borsiginia type. The leaf in the picture is only about 10 inches long, even though the plant is well established. Other (non-variegated) monsteras I've seen have leaves significantly larger than this. I've never seen the yellow variegeted one, although (at least in the UK) the white variegated variety seems unusual, even though 'normal' swiss cheese plants are really popular.

Anyway, I'll give the stem section cuttings a go based on this advice. I've got a heated propagator, would be an advantage to rooting the cuttings, or detrimental to them?

Tom

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    7 years ago

Tom, definitely use the heat, it will speed things up a lot.

That's a beautiful plant you have there, At 10 inches for the leaf and obvious lengthy distance between leaves, it is the Borsigiana variety. But this is a great clone, the variegation is spread well throughout the leaf. I think 50/50 white to green is a perfect balance for variegation, and yours seems to be just that. I don't think any of mine are that good.

The yellow variegation isn't as impressive as the white, although much more rare. Yellow doesn't contrast with the green like white does, so not as noticeable.

Let us know how the propagation project goes.

Russ

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

If you use a heated propagator that you can keep the relative humidity inside at a constantly high level then just lay the cuttings on top of the soil.

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just planted 4 cuttings and placed them into the propagator. They are sections of the main stem / vine with 3 nodes each. I'm trying 2 vertical and 2 horizontal - we'll see how they do!

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Good luck, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting 4 new plants out of them.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    7 years ago

Coleyt31, don't forget, once you get a plant from a stem cutting and it has enough roots of it's own other than those on the piece of stem, you can cut the plant away and plant on it's own. Then put the old stem piece(s) back down to try and get plants to break from the other 2 nodes. I doubt you can get all 12 nodes to produce plants, but you might get a 2nd round of several more. Especially if the first plant comes from one of the end nodes and not the middle one, which leaves a bigger 2 node piece rather than 2 pieces with 1 node each. Bigger stem piece, more energy to produce a plant.

Russ

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well guys, my cuttings seem to be rooting nicely in the heated propagator, and there are the beginnings of new shoots starting to grow at the leaf nodes!

At what point would you recommend taking them out of the propagator? Or opening the vents?

Russ - thanks for the advice in your last post. As predicted, there's only one node beginning to grow on each plant, so I'll certainly try that.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you're just now seeing new growth, I'd wait awhile longer to open vents. Maybe another week, then a week or two after that give them a slight tug to see if they feel firmly rooted. Leave them alone if they only feel slightly rooted. If they're firm I'd prop the top open to let more outside air in so they can fully adjust, maybe a few days to a week. Then I think it'd be safe to pot them on their own.

If the plant has good roots of it's own, it's a simple matter to cut it from the parent stem and propagate that stem again to try and get the next node to produce a plant. If you have to plant the parent piece of stem with the cutting for lack of quite enough roots, you can probably get the parent piece next time you repot the cutting and try it again. Those nodes on the stem piece will remain viable for an indefinite time.

Russ

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the advice once again. Thought you may be interested to see some photos of how the project is going.

The vertically planted cuttings are beginning to show new growth at the upper most leaf nodes.

No growth on the horizontal cuttings yet, but they seem to be rooting nicely, as can be seen here -

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    7 years ago

Thanks for the pics Coley. I don't see the nodes in the lower pic, so they must be on the bottom of the cutting. They might be enlarging but obviously no growth can be seen yet. Should see some soon though.

Russ

• Stacey Evans
    7 years ago

Hi coleyt31, do you have any cuttings still available or know where I could find one? Thanks, Stacey

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Stacey, are you in the UK?

• Alyssa (Zone 6)
    7 years ago

coleyt31, gorgeous variegation. I've taken a few cuttings from my monstera. tried rooting in water and ended up moving them to soil as it just wasn't working. one is now in a hydroponic system with a local grower as part of a trade and loving it, while the other is here with me in a small pot with compost. yours seem to be doing exceptionally well, wish I was in the U.K.!

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Alyssa, I would definitely recommend (from my limited experience) getting an electric propagator for this sort of thing. The batch of cuttings in my photo above have done really well, even though they're a bit slow to start

• Cara Schroeder
    7 years ago

Hi coleyt31, do you have any updated pics of your cuttings? Did the horizontal cuttings ever sprout? I want to try this with my own monstera.

• coleyt31
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Cara, yes they did! Here's a photo of them after potting on. In the one nearest the camera you can still see the horizontal section of stem at the surface of the pot.

Based on my experience I would say get an electric propagator and go for it! Let me know if you'd like any more advice.

Tom

• Cara Schroeder
    7 years ago

Thank you! I'm excited to try this.

• regina phalange
    6 years ago

Hey coleyt31, do you still have any monstera baby plants? I m in uk and I m looking for some

• jay
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is a non variegated young one at a nursery but when I looked at the base it appeared to have almost a dozen shoots coming out of the ground. It almost looked as if a V-shaped cutting was set horizontally under the soil. I went back the next day to get a closer pic of the base but it was gone:

I'm new to these but this looked like a more than exemplary specimen. It's very tempting at $19 but I'm holding out for a variegated one due to space limitations. Here's a pic of it next to a Hope Philo (right side) unless that's not the correct name:

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

My guess is that the Monstera was tissue cultured, which can produce many multiple plants from the soil line. This type of plant is a good source of cuttings for propagation. $19 seems a bit pricey but I can't tell how big it is.

Philo Hope is a nice, relatively new meconostigma type that has a more delicate looking leaf than bipinnatifidum, and I think it's a smaller grower.

Russ

• jay
    5 years ago

I went back to the nursery again and they had new one with fenestrations and I bought it. I also got a closeup of the bases. At the bottom of the pot some roots are growing through the drain holes.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

This is definitely tissue-cultured, so will be disease free and healthy for quite awhile. Young plants are faster growing than large adults and I'm assuming it's the full-size species rather than Borsigiana. Get it into a bigger pot and stand back... potentially massive by end of summer if you have warm temps and feed regularly. Climbing support for the big species needs to be strong, the Bosigiana not so much.

Russ

• jay
    5 years ago

Thanks for the info. A possible project for me will be setting up a pot/stake system that will accommodate the future growth. Maybe an aluminum L-base at the bottom of the soil that can easily move to bigger pots. It would be attached to a segmented stake so I can add to it as the plant grows.

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    5 years ago

I once had a green and yellow pothos on a 3 foot bark-slab which it quickly topped out. I screwed another slab to the top of it and when the pothos topped that out it had developed leaves over 2 ft long with cut edges and holes. It was beautiful and quite a sight. Good luck with your project.

Pics!

Russ

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH