SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nataneko

Help to ID what animal eats my tomatoes

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It's been a little over a week this creature gets into my garden, in TN... I can't figure out what it is. The animal eats 1/2 to a whole tomato, several fruit a day!!! And picks the largest!!! Sometimes it doesn't hesitate leftovers (if I leave 1/2 on the vine), and finishes what was started earlier. It comes, I think, in the early morning and during the day (I put simple mice traps around the garden. I check them in the morning and the animal triggers the traps, but the creature is too large to actually be affected by traps. I have put a live cage trap - useless, there is so much more food around!). It pushes grass-clippings mulch off the mounds, turns some soil like it was trying to get comfortable stamping around tomato plants. The edges of the eaten fruit are quite smooth, like a human bite (seems like no sharp teeth). It's not birds, I know their "beak prints". I don't really think it is rabbits (but who knows). Please help, if I know what it is I can learn how to deal with it. This is one pic, will post more (I bet i would have more of those!)

Comment (1)