SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Are all floor warranties a sham or just D&M Flooring?

uscpsycho
7 years ago

I'm buying a floor from D&M Flooring that comes with a 25 year warranty, which I thought was a great thing. The warranty states "D&M warrants to the original purchaser for residential installation that, under normal residential conditions and with proper maintenance, its surface finish will not wear through 25 years from the date of purchase."

GREAT!

But then the warranty goes on to say "Buyer’s exclusive remedy and D&M’s sole liability on any claim shall be limited to the repair or replacement of the visible defective

products or refund of the purchase price only, at our option." So if there is a problem they have the option to just replace the section of the floor with a visible defect and then I've got to deal with the expense of the actual repair. And if they don't have the floor anymore they'll just throw a few bucks my way to cover the price I paid for the area that is visibly damaged. And then I'll have to live with the damage or replace the entire floor.

Then to add insult to injury under the exclusions it says "Scratches, indentations or damage caused by accidents, negligence, everyday wear, abnormal wear and abuse including heavy or concentrated foot traffic, spiked heel shoes, house pets, sand, grit, abrasive substances and heavy objects or furniture rolled or dragged across the surface."

I understand that they won't cover damage due to misuse. But if they exclude damage caused by ordinary use, then what in the hell is covered? I mean, are you not supposed to use the floor after it is installed? According to the warranty the buyer is required to look for and identify factory defects before installation. They will replace anything with a factory defect right out of the box. But once the floor is installed I can't think of a single thing that is covered by this 25 year warranty other than spontaneous combustion. And then all they will do is replace the combusted section or reimburse the price.

Isn't the point of a warranty to cover problems that occur with regular, everyday use of a product?

Here is a link to the full text of the warranty if anyone wants to read it - http://dm-flooring.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/DM-FlooringResidentialWarranties2012.pdf Can anyone think of a single thing this warranty covers after the floor has been installed?

Comments (17)