SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acarsme

Liriope suffering crown rot....what to do

acarsme
7 years ago

I planted a row of Big Blue Liriope along the edge of a garden wall I built at the top of a hill. I had to pull one plant already because it completely died off from crown rot. A few other plants are starting to look bad too. A few of them look perfectly fine still.

After reading about crown rot, I think I in fact maybe planted them too deep, and I had been watering the area pretty frequently. I also have Christmas Ferns and dwarf mondo grass in this area that I'm trying to establish, so I've been overhead watering every few days. I know that's a no-no from what I've been reading about crown rot.....but it's been so hot and dry lately I have to keep the other plants watered.

I do notice that my variegated liriope plants I have in other areas don't really seem to be having any issues with crown rot. I also tend not to give them any supplemental water though. Is the no watering what's most likely keeping them healthier, or is variegata variety less influenced by crown rot compared to big blue variety?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting