SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennymsm

I have a question about deck fascia

pennymsm
7 years ago

I was planning on just resurfacing an existing deck, but ended up having to take the railing off. The new posts are inset versus being notched and mounted on the outside. The posts are already in and the decking is starting to go on. My question is about the perimeter of the frame. It's looking a bit beat up. I could sand it down, but there would still be quite a few old nail holes to fill in and I'm afraid it will look bad. I was hoping to keep it natural wood which I can't do if I end up using wood filler to level out the holes. Can I put another 2x8 (might be 2x10, whatever the frame is made of) up over the entire exterior, or would the unsupported weight be a bad thing? It's doubled up all the way around and is all in good shape. If I did it this way, there isn't enough overhang on the sides, so it would have to be boxed in. I'm concerned about water and stuff gathering in there. Mostly I'm wondering about the weight of adding extra boards that are just screwed on and not supported from underneath. The deck is 16' x 12'.

Comments (5)