SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelina_kennedy

Training American wisteria with Mandevila on tree

Angelina Carper
7 years ago

I recently planted an "amethyst falls" American wisteria and a "tango twirl" mandevilla vine intending to train them together to grow up an oak tree. I have never had either of these varieties and was hoping to get some advice/thoughts on how to do this successfully and potential problems I could run into. I live in Virginia just outside of DC and they are planted in part shade and watered regularly.

The Mandevilla is growing incredibly after I only planted it 3 days ago - there was only one bud when I planted not they're everywhere.

I'm not sure what to look for with the wisteria as far as where it will bloom and it is not twining nearly as much as the mandevilla. I purchased the wisteria from my local garden center which grows everything from seed and only native plants. Before I put the wisteria in (yesterday) I had read a lot in different forums that restraining a wisteria's roots will result in more blooms, so I cut the container it came in in half and removed the bottom placing then placed it in the hole before planting in an attempt to restrain the roots. I have never heard of this being done, but was curious on any thoughts about this method or if I need to take the altered container out of the ground immediately.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor