SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Observations on white pants

dedtired
7 years ago

I took my mother to the doctor today and while sitting in the waiting room, I noticed several women wearing white pants. My observations:

1. If you are pear shaped, white pants make your bottom half look enormous.

2. Cellulite shows through white pants.

3. If you do wear white pants, pay attention to whether your underwear shows through. Get some flesh colored undies and don't wear your granny panties.

FYI, I no longer wear white pants, mostly because of 1 and 2.

Comments (46)

• chispa
    7 years ago

Remember when pants used to be lined, specially white ones?

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I was walking to my workplace parking garage yesterday, and down the block I spotted a woman that I swore - for a split second - was completely nude down below. White pants may have their issues, but lemme tell ya - nobody should wear flesh-colored pants. Nobody.

• Related Discussions

White pants, modern cut, don't wrinkle or stretch

Q

Comments (4)
    Chicos has white, wrinkle-free jeans on sale right now that are very nice. Jones New York makes a dressier style of non wrinkle, washable slacks that you might find at Ross Dress For Less, if you have one.
    ...See More

White pants, what color undergarments?

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, they do "breathe," at least a lot more than the other shapewear I've tried. I am hot natured and haven't found them to be too hot, either, under most circumstances. What I like about them is you just forget you're wearing them and you don't worry about bumps, lumps, or what might be showing. Here is a link to the ones I'm referring to; they are a little pricey, but I wear them several times a week, wash by hand or on delicate cycle and hang to dry and they are holding up just great. Spanx
    ...See More

is it acceptable to pant exterior bathroom doors black interior white?

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes, it's done often. Matter of fact, my son's bedroom door has an off-white/ivory color on the public side and it's painted black on the bedroom side. While there are always exceptions, the edges of the door usually get painted the same color as the face of the door in the room that the door swings in to. Example, my son's door swings in to his bedroom. The face of the door in his bedroom is black. So the door edges got painted black. Had it swung out into the hallway, the door edges would have been painted the lighter color.
    ...See More

White linen pants with grass stains.

Q

Comments (6)
    So I had already put these in the wash by the time I got any responses. I washed them on delicate with a spray of pre wash. I also had a pair of khaki pants that had blueberry juice stains. The first wash got about 90% of the grass and mud stains out of the linen and significantly faded the blueberry out of the khaks. So I treated both with the fels naptha and added some tri-zyme pre treat and did a 20 minute pre-soak. Both came out like brand spanking new! Y’all rock!
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, I've seen the nude thing, too, top and bottom. Another thing I think women should consider carefully are the brightly patterned leggings that are popular now. Not many behinds look good in leggings, but at least black conceals some flaws. Man, a fat butt looks gigantic in those neon patterns. For pete's sake, look at your self from the back! And joggers, all I can say is a bouncy neon striped butt is not a pretty sight.

I can't remember the last time I came across a pair of lined pants. Too bad.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Uhoh, just got some white wide-leg linen pants that I love. Better try them on again and take a long hard look. Don't have to worry about #1 or 2, but I hope they are thick enough. I think they are, but will check more carefully and have someone other than DH look. To him, everything looks great. Sigh. Nice, but not always true!

dedtired thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • deegw
    7 years ago

I will wear white jeans but I have never found a pair of white pants that were flattering. The jeans work for me because they are thick and have some structure. Plus I usually wear them with a hip length brightly colored tunic so hopefully I have issues 1,2 and 3 covered :)

dedtired thanked deegw
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

I wear loose white linen crops all summer - Land's End had great ones but no longer. I treasure them! Have also bought from j jill. They are not see through. I live in linen in the summertime.

dedtired thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • User
    7 years ago

I never wear white pants and your post is so funny. :c)

dedtired thanked User
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

I often like the look of a decent pair of white pants on other people. It's so summery and relaxed and beachy and devil-may-care.

I have one pair, not see through, not tight enough to show VPL, and I might wear them once a year. I probably put them on 5 times a year bit only actually leave the bedroom once. I always talk myself out of it.

My problem is I'm long waisted with short legs. Tunics length tops emphasize the short legs so I avoid them. That limits the usefulness of white pants.

dedtired thanked hhireno
  • User
    7 years ago

Love white capris. My cotton ones are heavy enough not to be see through, but not so much the linen pair I wear around the house. That's why they're relegated to at-home wear.

dedtired thanked User
  • Bonnie
    7 years ago

I like white in summer: capris, shorts, skirts and boyfriend jeans. The key is fit and, yes proper undergarments are a must!

dedtired thanked Bonnie
  • User
    7 years ago

Funny post. You really have to be careful when buying white pants and check how see through they are!

I tend to only buy those make of white denim.

I think by and large, white pants look chic.

dedtired thanked User
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I tried some on yesterday and saw my flesh colored panties through them so I bought aqua, lol, funny post.

dedtired thanked Yayagal
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm like hhireno: I try them on, look in the mirror and take them off. I'll wear white shorts, but long white pants make me feel like the ice cream man. I also do not like myself in capris. Ankle pants and almost to the knee shorts are my summer staples.

dedtired thanked User
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

I don't wear white pants or white shorts because of exactly what the OP said.

(as she sits here in her brightly patterned cropped running tights that she just wore to yoga and then for coffee with a friend.) I actually think that the black ones look atrocious on most people and most people shouldn't wear them anyway.

dedtired thanked blfenton
  • zippity1
    7 years ago

i'm careful when purchasing my white pants, but i have more of them than any other color i may even have 10 pair between shorts capris and longer styles

my biggest problem with them is discoloration by well water ugh......

dedtired thanked zippity1
  • User
    7 years ago

I have never seen a person in white pants and thought to myself "That looks good." I've never owned a pair.

dedtired thanked User
  • gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I had a nice pair of white Dockers capris that I wore until they fell apart. They were a thicker material but I either wore a thong or else I buy the ladies Jockey no-line in nude. Those are really great-- no VPL.

dedtired thanked gsciencechick
  • satine_gw
    7 years ago

vpl??

dedtired thanked satine_gw
  • User
    7 years ago

visible panty line

• amck2
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I pretty much wear black bottoms or dark wash jeans through winter so I like adding white in summer. Buying pants is always a challenge for me to get the fit and proportions right as I'm petite & have short legs. When I find a good fit & fabric I often buy multiples.

White denim is good for structure and coverage. I've had luck in the past with NYDJ.

One thing I don't like with white is when the outline of pockets shows through. That's a deal breaker for me.

I love the combination of black and white or navy and white for summer. Looks classic, clean and fresh, IMO.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

The ice cream man! LOL!

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I love white pants! I have several pairs. One pair I wear alot are white denim fabric, but not styled like a jean. Skinny and ankle length. Can be cuffed (rolled). Look great with wedges and best with longer tops. Have another pair of cropped white pants that are a bit wider leg. Have some white linen pants. White knee length shorts. I almost always wear nude or black undies (nude with light colors, black with darks) - actually do that with bras and cami's (if needed) too.

dedtired thanked tinam61
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I have a nice pair of white pants I got from Christopher & Banks. Comfy, fairly thick, slightly stretchy, and fit well. But now you've got me wondering if I need to do an honest exam for #2.

dedtired thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I never wear white pant. I love how they look...so sharp and refreshing. While the points above are certainly valid, the reason I don't wear them is I put them on and suddenly I'm a stain magnet...a drop of ketchup or a mud splatter or a drip from the bottom of a tea cup is bound to find it's way to those pants almost immediately.

As an aside, I was in AT Loft yesterday and decided, if they make the fabric on those blouses any thinner, you'd be better off wrapping in toilet tissue!

dedtired thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Faron79
    7 years ago

I had to chuckle....and I'm STILL laughing!! I've known what "vpl" meant for a loooong time! And I'm the Guy here! ;-)

Have a smirk on my face for another reason too now. A while back, I was in a "polarizing" thread here about leggings. I've read responses here that parallel what I got "fried" for by some. I'M NOT trying to bring back a hornet's nest!!!! Just stating a subtle observation....

In 2012, DW & I were in St. Paul, MN, for a Van Halen concert. I was wearing new white shorts. Went out for supper....pizza. Deluxe of course. 1st slice...I take a bite. A round piece of sausage promptly rolls off & onto my shorts...plop. &($&&^)#_$*$^@^-it!!!

Faron

dedtired thanked Faron79
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Faron, you wore white to a Van Halen concert? What were you thinking!

i used to wear white pants all summer before 1 and 2 became a problem. Now they don't make tunic tops long enough to cover the problems. Sigh.

• Faron79
    7 years ago

LOL Ded!!!

Well....I think I wore my NDSU-Bison polo with them! I just like wearing Bison stuff down in "Gopher-land"......

(tee-hee!!!) ;-)

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Great observations dedtired, very productive use of your wait time!

Faron - I was thinking the same thing as I read through the replies. It reminded me of the leggings thread and the comments made there.

I don't wear white pants or shorts because of # 1 and # 2 and # 4 (Annie's stain magnet and Faron's pizza plop).

Once a month for 20 years I've gone out to lunch with 4 other girlfriends - and all 4 of them frequently wear white pants or capris in the summer and I think they all look attractive. Two of them have places 'down the shore' and in the summer we'll meet there and then spend the day walking along the beach and browsing the little shops.

That would be the perfect occasion for a pair of white pants combined with a navy print top or a sailer stripe boatneck T. However I can't seem to find a pair that I like on me and then I end up wearing a pair of khakis.

Oh well - maybe in my next life.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I live in white denim in the summer but have known since fourth grade, standing in line in the cafeteria lunch line, to not wear flowered purple underwear with white pants. All 500 kids turned and looked as it was pointed out to me.

• sas95
    7 years ago

White pants are like most other things in fashion. You need to pick a style and cut that are flattering. You need to check before you buy them whether they are see-through, and make sure you wear underwear that doesn't show through. Not everyone looks good in white pants. There are few, if any, clothes that everyone looks good in.

I wear white jeans all summer. It is hard these days to find white jeans that aren't made of horribly thin fabric. I hate when you can see the pockets through the jeans-- it looks so cheap to me. While I can wear skinny jeans in darker wash, white skinny jeans make me look huge (and I am slender). I look for ones that have a slightly more relaxed fit. I love non-denim white pants, too, but haven't bought any in a long time due to the cheap, flimsy fabric they all seem to be made of.

• 2pups4me
    7 years ago

I am at an overseas conference this week. Two days ago I witnessed a woman wearing white jeans and was happy to see that, since you always read that Europeans don't wear white jeans and I packed mine for this trip. The woman stood to ask a question of the presenter and my eyes immediately went to her backside - she was wearing multicolored polka dot panties. True story.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I love white pants in summer. I have a couple of pair of white pants (Eileen Fisher) that I like and that don't show off anything I don't want to show. And a couple of pair of capris. I do tend to wear tunic tops more often now so don't have to worry about anything around the butt line much. The pants I wear are more semi-fitted. And I'm tall and rather thin & have a small waist so I don't think white makes me look big.

I get what you're saying though. The flimsy fabric, or not paying attention to what you wear underneath is just wrong! And some of those voluminous white linen pants look worse than what the wearer thinks they are hiding.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

Well, you all know by now that I love white. I love decorating with it and wearing it. I do wear white shorts, capris, jeans and leggings. I don't care for wide leg slacks on me, so mine are all slim fit. I always, always wear nude undies with them. The kind designed not to show . But, even though I have slender legs, hips and bottom (although my waist, sadly, no longer qualifies for that catergory) , I wear tops that cover my bottom, just in case. I've seen too many OMG-bottoms to take chances (lol)!

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I have recently been looking at some white denim - capris or long shorts. Nothing fit right so I don't have any yet. I think the heavier fabric can eliminate a few of the concerns mentioned above but my bigger concern is same as Annie's. I will slop something, sit in something or rub up against something within minutes of putting them on. I like the look though in summer - without the aforementioned problems.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I wear a lot of white in the summer. I don't have cellulite and I am far from pear shaped, barrel shaped is more like it. I always wear a nude colored panty with white or off white pants. My favorite is white jean capris that currently have a raspberry stain on them and a dressy pair of white capris that have been soaking in oxyclean for two weeks because DD dropped a spoonful of baby food on them. I definitely become one big old stain magnet when I wear white but I still do it. Both of the white pants I mentioned were worn no more than twice so white is an expensive habit.

• OllieJane
    7 years ago

I always wear a nude panty under white also-I don't understand why you wouldn't-it is the least visible-on me anyway. My bras are nude under white shirts also. I do have some linen white pants, but I mostly wear skinny white jeans or white jean capris that have some substance.

I love white! Like Holly-Kay mentioned though, white is an expensive habit for me too. One stain and out they go! Unless I can get the stain out-50/50 chance are about my odds.

• deegw
    7 years ago

I will say I'd rather see a panty line than bare skin. I am shocked by how many people wear a fitted pant with thin fabric and a thong. Even if you are thin, IMO, the view from behind is too revealing.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

"I probably put them on 5 times a year bit only actually leave the bedroom once."

---LOL, that is true of a lot of things in my closet!

I love white jeans. On other women. I can't possible imagine even trying on a pair of white jeans without screaming in horror. I have already discussed my thigh issues in the shorts discussion... I pretty much only wear blue denim or black pants.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Love my Loft relaxed skinny white jeans. When not in shorts I'm in these. They are cut a little lower for my shorter torso so fit perfect. They also have a bit of stretch and are so comfy.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree that a heavier fabric is somewhat more flattering, but I generally find it too hot for summer. Anyone who does not have a problem with 1 and 2, and remembers 3, should look great in white pants. Sadly, that is not me.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

I love white pants, shorts and capris and live in them in the summer. I always wear nude panties and longer tops, though.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I once got some white pants. Nice tunic top to go with, got a lot of compliments that day. Was a risky move for me because I am a spiller, but I was careful. Then, later in the afternoon, my boss said, "I don't want you to think I'm staring at your behind, but it looks like you have ketchup on the back of your pants." Yes, my entire life I have managed not to sit in ketchup, except for the day I wore white pants to work. And I'm not even sure how I sat in ketchup other than I ate my lunch at one of the tables in the student lounge and one of the chairs must have had ketchup on it. And ketchup is not an easy stain to remove! So now, my rule of white pants is: "If you wear white pants, you WILL sit in ketchup."

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I love white linen. I prefer not to wear white pants that are close fitting. My worst white pants experience was when I was in 8th grade, I borrowed my friend's wrap a round cotton pants after staying overnight at her house. I didn't notice my pink panties showing through until the break between second and third period. I changed into my gym shorts and got stared at all day. I still remember wrap a round pants. They were fun at the beach where it didn't matter if your bathing suit showed through. I'm surprised they didn't return with the hippy girl maxi dresses recently.

• User
    7 years ago

The tunic is always a safe, and chic, bet.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

'I will say I'd rather see a panty line than bare skin. I am shocked by how many people wear a fitted pant with thin fabric and a thong. Even if you are thin, IMO, the view from behind is too revealing.'

Wow, I just saw this today from behind. Thin white cotton pants with a thong. I wonder if she knows how much she was exposing her buttocks. I found it rather vulgar, really, unless she was unaware of course. Maybe this is the new braless. I'm sure people back then were just as shocked although I don't see it anymore today.