SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajs317

Planting new tree in established pachysandra bed

ajs317
7 years ago

I have an established bed of pachysandra in the middle of which I would like to plant a new redbud tree. Is this asking for failure or can the tree be gotten established before the pachy takes back over?

I have already bought the young tree. It's probably only 5 feet tall, less than an inch in trunk diameter and potted in a 12-inch nursery pot. My plan was to dig out a circle in the bed with a diameter well in excess of the current root ball, remove all the pachy roots from the soil in that circle, fill back in and mulch the bare dirt. It is in a spot that I can provide as much drip irrigation as needed.

Based on my past experience with pachysandra, I know that mulch will not keep it at bay forever but I'm hoping that the tree will get established in time. My area was planted with pachysandra back in the day like it was going out of style, so I see established stands surrounding trees of all kinds around, but I've never tried to plant in the middle of it before. Based on what you know of redbuds, is this a sound plan?

Comments (3)