SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdrago

Need help/ideas with fenced in garden area

katemartha (z5/6 nj)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

hi everyone! my husband and i have been working hard this past month to build our raised bed vegetable garden. we finally have a fence up around the space as well, and we chose to fence in a larger area than the veggie area itself (veggie area is about 25x30', we fenced in about an extra 15' of grass). Our thinking was this way, if we choose to expand the raised bed area a few years down the line we will have room to do so without having to redo the fence. For now, the grassy area can also provide us with a little area to relax and have coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening. The trouble is right now, it just looks like a sad, boring, grassy rectangle. There is also a very slight slope, it's a bit higher elevation on the right (nothing too drastic, but any furniture would probably need to be set on the left side...) Any ideas on what to add, how to create some visual interest and make it more inviting? Any special kind of outdoor furniture? We'd like to bring in some florals as well to attract pollinators - i had thought maybe some petunia baskets hanging from fence posts?

I'm also interested in any ideas on how to soften up the harsh lines of the fencing - we are considering a hedge along the outer perimeter but we are looking for something very low maintenance (we already have sooo many gardens) and perhaps something that won't get too tall, so that it won't shade any of the veggies...we're open to ideas!

some photos: (taken a few days ago, before the fence was finally complete - there is a gate now, and the post holes have been filled back in!)

overall view:

view of grassy area:

looking back toward gate:

Thanks for all your help!

Comments (5)