SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

2016 Wandering Stitchers Retreat at Holston Center

grammyp
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Here it is, time to plan our retreat for this year. We have reserved the Guenther Lodge at Holston Presbytery Camp and Retreat Center http://www.holstoncenter.org/. Here are the details:

Dates: Wed, Oct 12 thru Sun Oct 16 (we must be out by 10am for another group)

Price: Each room $78 per night ($312 for the 4 nights). If you share the room, you split the price. These rooms have a private bath with 2 double beds. There are smaller rooms with 2 twin beds and shared hall baths and I have inquired for a price on those.

Meals: Last year we prepared our own meals, but the kitchen is very small and we (hopefully) will have more people this year. We opted to snack and/or have light breakfasts and lunch, then have them prepare dinners for us this year. Dinner will be $11/day, so an additional $44

Total cost will be $356 if you have an unshared private room.

Deposit will be $50 and balance when we check in. I will pay Holston, so please make your checks payable to me. If you would like more information or need my mailing address, please send me a message.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again, and possible seeing new faces.

Beverly

Comments (34)

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

You've probably told us this, but can you restate what time we can be in on Wednesday, Oct. 12th.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are the Wandering Stitchers. You can go straight to the Guenther Lodge, I'll do the paperwork when I get there. Hopefully I'll get there early.

• loisflan
    7 years ago

Well, I brought my small machine home from Hawaii this spring in anticipation of going to retreat. Then my sister signed up for a trip to Cuba and asked me to go with her. I've always wanted to see Cuba, so I said yes. The dates, wouldn't you know, are October 8-15. So I will be heading south this October, but to Havana, not North Carolina. Maybe next year. I hope you have a great turnout. I'll be watching for photos.

• msmeow
    7 years ago

Lois, are you cruising to Cuba? Our church is doing a cruise to Cuba through EO (Educational Opportunities) around the same time...maybe it's the same trip?

Donna

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lois, we would have loved to had you with us. Please send lots of pictures of Cuba, I would love to go.

• loisflan
    7 years ago

Donna, we're going with The Nation magazine on a charter flight. It's a "cultural exchange," so we'll be meeting with people from all walks of life while we're there. If you are interested, here is the itinerary. I'll be sure to take pictures, Beverly, but we are told we may not have internet connection while we are there, and, of course, our cell phones won't work. You can't use American credit cards and there's a surcharge when you exchange American dollars for Cuban currency. It will really be strange to be so out of touch for a week.Cuba itinerary

• jennifer_in_va
    7 years ago

I'll be there! I'm hoping to drive Wednesday afternoon, so I can have 3 full days of sewing! Might have to dust off the sewing machine by then, but I'm sure to get a lot done. Deposit going in the mail asap.

• jackier123
    7 years ago

Yay Jennifer. I hope you can come on Wednesday!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

For some reason I cannot edit my original post. I did hear back from Lisa at Holston and the price is the same for all rooms. They do have plans to improve the smaller rooms and give them private baths, but as with most of us, the budget is stretched right now. I'm still planning on using one of the smaller rooms.

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Can someone tell me more about this? :)

• Hareball
    7 years ago
    That sounds like fun :) I'll have to look into it. Do you have to be part of the group to go or are we allowed to invite someone as long as we ask and everyone in the group has had a chance first?
  • grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hareball, we do have a great time and our snack table is legendary. Everyone is invited to bring items for show and tell, but that is not required. Some of us stay up most of the night sewing and from time to time we have "classes" or demonstration of a techniques. Saturday we usually hang up our quilts for a show, but there isn't really a nice place at Guenther Lodge for that. If my husband comes this year I may have him work on that for us. We have only 9 rooms with private baths and 2 double beds, and 5 rooms with 2 twin beds and 2 shared hall baths. Traditionally we have had only members of the forum attend. As long as forum members have first opportunity and there is room, guests are allowed.

Here are links to last years pictures

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So far I have deposits from:

Jennifer

Jackie

Teresa

Linda

There is still plenty of time. If you are interested in coming, please let me know. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. We would love to have you join us.

If you need my address send me a note and I'll see you get it.

• polardream
    7 years ago

Did you get my deposit???

Sue

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did, that should be Sue, not Jennifer. Sorry.

b

• jennifer_in_va
    7 years ago

That's okay. If Sue wants to pay for me, who am I to complain?!?

• polardream
    7 years ago

I love you Jennifer, but not sure I can do it this time.. :)

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There is still room available. If you are interested, please let me know.

• jackier123
    7 years ago

I am already thinking about what I want to bring and it is still 3 months away! Come on girls! Who all are coming?

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I already have some packed up ready to go. You know, all the UFOs that have been hiding.

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

I'm half packed already. Better get my projects out.

• littlehelen_gw
    7 years ago

I so want to come, but don't have the leave time. Also, it's a really long car trip for me...perhaps when I'm not working full time in a few years. If I win powerball in the meantime, count me in :-)!! Valarie

• jackier123
    7 years ago

Awww Val we will miss you!

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

And, we'll talk about you since you aren't there!!

• littlehelen_gw
    7 years ago

Hmmm......oh wow...do let me know the juicy stuff .... It's got to be more exciting than my real life!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Val, you will be missed. And talked about.

• jackier123
    7 years ago

Dang, you guys are brutal...I was actually the nice one this time :)

• polardream
    7 years ago

For anyone who has never been to the retreat I would encourage you to consider coming. It is a lot of fun getting to actually put faces with the names you see here on the forum, as well as having 3 full sewing days with like-minded people! The first time I went, I was a little aprehensive, but found that everyone is super-nice and helpful. Lots of encouragement for projects, great suggestions, fun games, and good food. If you haven't signed up yet - GET ON THE STICK AND JUST DO IT!!!!

polardreams/Sue

• jackier123
    7 years ago

I agree with Sue, I was very apprehensive my first year. I decided that I was going to try it though, since I badly needed that time away from work and the other day to day responsibilities of life. Now I look forward to it as MY vacation for the year. I feel like I have made some lifelong friends at retreat. I look forward to seeing everyone and am sad when some do not get to come. I love that I can sit and piece quilt tops without being bothered by other things. I get a lot done at retreat. Come on and join us this year! And for those of you that already know me, I HAVE A HUGE SURPRISE THIS YEAR. (no I am not pregnant LOL)

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jackie, do we have to wait?

The first year Tim would not let me come alone because you never know the kind of ppl you meet on line. Now he likes to come cause he likes to come and visit with everyone. It is so nice to be able to do nothing but sew, share, and eat for 4 days.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    7 years ago

I've only been twice but certainly enjoyed both times and meeting, not only the gals, but the DH's that were there, was a special treat, too. I know whoever can attend will have fun.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It would be nice to have you come again.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are still looking for participants for the retreat. If you have any questions I'm sure any previous attendees will be willing to answer them for you.