SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andy6382

Geothermal Tax Credits

Andy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We're building a house that will have a geothermal heat pump. It's my understanding that the tax credit ends in 2016. Also, the IRS says "For purposes of the residential energy efficient property credit only, costs connected with the construction of a home are treated as being paid when your original use of the constructed home begins".

So, does this mean that unless Congress extends the rebate, I need a certificate of occupancy issued in 2016 in order to qualify for the credit?

Comments (31)

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The only thing I can find is this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2665425-our-house-was-started-in-2014-and-will-be-finished-this-year-when-can-we-take-the-tax-credits

I'm hoping that if they decide to end it this year rather than extend it, they will allow some amount of flexibility for people who are just about finished.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

I had to contend with the NY State tax office regarding a GSHP rebate my contractor steered me towards. My recommendation would be to speak with a tax professional or accountant.

• Related Discussions

Friendly reminder to finalize any tax credit material for 2013

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you. We're not building now, but we have to prepay our property taxes before year end...and of course make sure we make all our contributions....and take our capital losses to offset any gains we may have taken... This time of year, I'm always reminded of a friend whose wife was delivering their daughter on New Year's Eve....the doc asked him if he wanted the first baby of the new year or the tax deduction...he immediately opted for the tax deduction!
    ...See More

Tax credit for geo thermal now 30% !!!

Q

Comments (6)
    If that is the case Sunny I could have a geothermal pit DX system for $7,800.00 and not turn a tap between my utilities rebates and the 30% govt. Original quote was $14,500.00 to do a manual J and fix any other existing duct issues along with insulate my ductwork. I didn't get a quote for air to air but at this rate I am not sure if I should even bother. I am thinking about a refi and was considering upgrading the system with air to air cause the 14k for GT seemed out of reach. What would you do?
    ...See More

Geothermal - Cheaper than traditional HVAC with tax credits?

Q

Comments (13)
    geo is best in a colder climate where the hp can be used year round vs a air to air hp that dropped the output and shuts down at low temps. In mild climates you need to crunch the math to see if it really works, and what the pay off will be. The numbers to include are extra financing (you still need to front the initial bill!), electric costs, maintaining it (typically more then a hp/furnace), etc. However in my area, installing a 2 ton geo system in my new home would be cheaper then a gas furnace after credits. The 2 ton (waterfurnace) price is around $20k with vertical wells and duct work. A Lennox HP and furnace backup is about 13k with the same as above. However with the assumed tax credit and also a 3650 credit from the local power company, it puts geo below the price of the air to air hp, just over 10k to be exact.
    ...See More

Does Geothermal make sense?

Q

Comments (12)
    75 kWh/day is total electrical usage during the single coldest month of the year, but let's say baseline (ignoring greater lighting usage in winter, most of our lights are CFLs) is 34kWh/day in spring when neither heat nor AC required, the heating system requires 20-41 kWh/day during the winter and maybe 10kWh/day for AC when very hot, but most of the time our monthly electrical usage (with 2 kids and an electric dryer doing average of 7 loads of laundry a week, 1 load of dishes a day) is in the 30's. Total electrical usage (not just HVAC) for past 12 months was 17,943 kWh - rates have varied but total paid was $2709.20, or average of 225.77/mo. Our current budget plan monthly payment is set at $236 - in August we will get a credit if we have paid too much since last August. I believe well drilling cost $9000 for 3 wells - but you may pay more than $3000 for 1 well, I don't know if we paid more because one well is 500ft deep and they had to frack, or if we got a "discount" since the rig was here and all 3 were drilled the same day. Prices also could have changed in 7 years. We didn't pay for trenching since my dad did it. You have to ask if prices include excavation/drilling. Estimates we got in 2007 included 4 ton Envision with 80 gal hot water heater app. $35,750 ), 4.5 ton unit (no specs) ranged from $27,500 - $32,500 (I'm looking at my notes), we went with 4 ton Climatemaster and the 2 80-gal hot water tanks, it was quoted at $27,773, I'd have to look at checks to see what we actually paid since that did not include grouting, etc. done by the well drillers. None of the quotes included well drilling or trenching, or electrical work. There was a $2000 rebate from CL&P at the time - federal tax credit was $500 according to quote - I think that was the max available, I'd have to check the 1040 for that year to see if that was what we got or if it was something different. Rebates/credits only figured on cost of equipment, not labor. Not sure what the credits are now.
    ...See More
  • mike_home
    7 years ago

Here are the instructions for Form 5695. It says what you stated in your post about when the use begins. The new law on energy tax credits has already been passed. It is unlikely the geothermal tax credit will be extended, but it is always possible an extension can be tacked on to another bill in Congress. Not sure what you mean about flexibility. I never heard of the IRS being flexible about anything.

Be aware that only the geothermal equipment and installation costs qualify for the tax credit. The duct work, dehumidifers, humidifiers, ERV, etc. are not considered part of the geothermal system. The IRS issued a ruling on that topic a few years ago.

Have you spoken directly to the geothermal installation company? Do you think they will be able to stay in business after the tax credit ends? I would be concerned about a company who relies heavily on residential geothermal systems. It is something to think about.

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

+1 for mike_home

Verify that your geothermal
    installer is an authorized installer for the brand geothermal heat pump being
    installed. That way even if the installer goes out of business you will still receive
    support.

SR

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't spoken with the HVAC sub, but they've been in business for 25 years, and on their website state they're authorized dealers for Trane, Ducane, Lennox, Climatemaster and Goodman. Our system is going to be a Climatemaster.

Our builder has basically confirmed that we need an occupancy permit in 2016, if Congress does not extend the credit.

My gut feeling is that congress will extend the credit, but not until after the election in the lame duck session. So, plan A is to be finished this year, if that doesn't happen hopefully congress extends the credit in a similar way that they extended solar.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

Will natural gas be available to your house? What is your location? If gas is not available have you considered an inverter type heat pump like the Carrier Greenspeed?

There is little political incentive to extend the geothermal tax credit. Heating with natural gas, which is a domestic fuel, is cheaper then using geothermal in most parts of the country. Inverter type air sourced heat pumps are nearly as efficient as ground sourced where natural gas is not available.

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No natural gas unfortunately. We have that in our current home, but our new home isn't in a development.

I'm really liking the idea of no condensing unit outside, making noise, needing service.

As for political incentive, I would think the Democrats are pretty insistent on getting this renewed. They'll likely implement the same decreasing scale they implemented for solar, and treat it like it was inadvertently left off the language, which is what the Democrats insist is the case in the first place. Hope it gets done.

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

To the OP, how many square feet will this house be? What’s
    your electrical rate per kWh? Are you planning for any in-floor radiant?

My first choice for a geothermal HP would be the
    Waterfurnace Series 7, COP 5.3, 41 EER. Nothing comes even close – not even
    Greenspeed!

IMPO

SR

Waterfurnace Series 7

• mike_home
    7 years ago

fsq4cw,

Can you explain the COP values for the Waterfurnace Series 7. What do the COP values for full load at 32 degrees and part load at 41 degrees mean? How does one compare the Waterfurnace COP values to an air sourced heat pump which makes no mention of loads and are quoted at different air temperatures (47 and 17 degrees).

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

Hi Mike I,

If you were looking at page
    6 of the Waterfurnace Series 7 Specification Manual, as I suspect you are, the
    data presented could be a little clearer but it doesn’t matter. It’s basically
    all there.

You’re looking at the far
    left column for ‘Ground Loop Heat Pump’, meaning a closed loop, probably vertical
    loop. ‘Full Load 32˚F’ means COP at worst operating conditions in heating mode,
    HP operating at full capacity with an Entering Water Temperature (EWT) of 32˚F.
    This temperature is rather unlikely as even where I am in Canada, the average
    ground temperature during the winter is about 42˚F. However, the fluid
    temperature in the loop might drop to
    32˚F (EWT) if during a prolonged cold
    snap with the HP running for days on end, with a Leaving Water Temperature
    (LWT) of ~26˚F the ground can’t warm the returning (EWT) beyond 32˚F on its
    return to the HP. This scenario would produce a COP of 3.5 or about 350%
    efficiency compared to that of a high efficiency gas furnace of 98%. BTW: The
    ground loops better have antifreeze protection into the very low 20s˚F as we
    are already talking about temperatures well below freezing!

On the other hand, this same
    HP under partial load, still under about worst case ground conditions of 41˚F
    will produce a COP of about 5.3 or 530% (with inverter controlled variable
    speed compressor in this case) compared to a high efficiency gas furnace of about 98%.

To compare apples to apples,
    you would have to calculate the Btu of 1-therm, times 98% for a high efficiency
    gas furnace, then convert that to kW, or about 28.72kW/Therm @98% efficiency. For
    the geothermal heat pump, you multiply 1kW (of input energy) times the COP. This heat pump
    running at partial load with a COP of 5.3 would produce 5.3kW output of heat
    into the envelope for every 1kW of electricity consumed.

The price per Therm (at 98%
    efficiency) is divided by 28.72 (kW of heat per Therm) and the price per kWh is
    divided by 5.3 (COP) for geothermal HP to arrive at a final figure of cost per kW of heat
    delivered into the envelope, which is still not final because you still have
    air-conditioning and DHW to contend with. A geothermal heat pump does both
    heating and cooling at about the same efficiency and produces DHW at a much-reduced
    cost during heating season and essential free during the summer when
    air-conditioning because the heat extracted from the air is put into the DHW instead of being exhausted uselessly into the outdoor air.

IMPO

SR

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

Hi Mike II,

Note that I am being very
    generous with the efficiency of a gas furnace at 98%.

The COP of an air-source
    heat pump will vary with the outdoor ambient temperature. Again, when comparing
    efficiencies of air-source heat pumps to that of geothermal heat pumps we must
    convert to a common measure of efficiency such as, COP or EER at a specific
    outdoor or ground temperature taking into account all the energy used to
    produce the heat or cooling. COP is easiest because then it is simple to just
    multiply 1kW by COP to arrive at the number of kW of heat (or cooling)
    delivered into the envelope and to divide the unit cost per kW of electricity
    by the COP to determine the cost per kW of heat (or cooling) delivered into the
    envelope.

Again note that while
    the ambient temperature for an air-source HP varies greatly, the ground
    temperature for the geothermal HP remains rather constant. In fact, the minor seasonal
    changes in ground temperature lags by about a season so the ground is in fact warmer
    when we need it warm and cooler when we need it cooler.

Was that simple?

Make sense to me after
    several rereads.

IMPO

SR

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I thought COP was mostly a heat pump concept, the ratio of heat produced divided by energy consumed, and that the comparison was to 1.0, the COP of electric resistance heating? Comparing the efficiency of a heat pump to a gas furnace is really a meaningless exercise.

Heat choice alternatives are compared by calculating relative costs for the projected needs. BTUs are the common measurement in the US, but whether that or kW is used, it's the same. Whatever the efficiency of the equipment is, is inherent in those cost comparisons that look at the cost of the input to produce a given output.

The "advantage" a heat pump has, whether ground source or air source, is that it moves heat rather than produces it. Even with that, it's often a very expensive way to go but, admittedly, is sometimes chosen for houses without natural gas whose owners (because of personal preferences or other reasons) don't want to use other alternatives.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

fsq4cw,

Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I asked the question in order to compare the efficiencies of air and ground sourced heat pumps. Comparing it to a gas furnace makes no sense for those who do not have access to natural gas.

For the heating side the Carrier Greenspeed has COP values of about 4.5 and 2.5 for outdoor temperatures of 47 and 17 degrees respectively. In comparison the Waterfurnace Series 7 lists COP values of 5.3 and 3.5 for water temperatures of 41 and 35 degrees respectively. This is comparing a 3 ton heat pump. Both systems require back up heat strips.

On the cooling side the geothermal efficiency is significantly better. The Greenspeed EER is about 13.5 compared to the Series 7 which ranges from 22 to 37 for the 3 ton size.

So with this information the potential buyer has to calculate the estimated energy savings of the geothermal heat pump versus a air sourced heat pump. There is no simple formula because their are so many variables and unknowns. Locations where the summers are very hot the savings with the geothermal would be very good. Locations where winters are very cold the savings would be smaller based on the spec numbers.

In summary geothermal heat pumps will cost less to operate than an air sourced heat pump but the amount saved is difficult to calculate. When the federal tax credits end on December 31 homeowners should have to think carefully if the higher investment in a geothermal system makes financial sense.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

"When the federal tax credits end on December 31 homeowners should have to think carefully if the higher investment in a geothermal system makes financial sense."

What do you predict for the future of GSHPs if the credit expires? Obviously residential installations will suffer, but I've heard about many commercial/institutional installations as well( I believe the latter don't qualify for the credit). Would geothermal be mostly relegated to non-residential?

• mike_home
    7 years ago

In my opinion geothermal makes sense for a commercial installations which have big heating and cooling loads. It is not nearly as attractive to heat and cool a 2000 sq. foot house that is well insulated if there is no tax credit incentive. This is especially true in the north east where natural gas is widely available and digging a well is very expensive.

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

Mike:

I think there might be things
    you’re overlooking. Comparing outdoor temperatures and ground temperatures to
    arrive at COP is misleading. While it's true that ambient outdoor temperatures
    correspond directly to COP with air-source HPs, it is not so with ground
    source. When the outdoor temperature is not +17˚F but -17˚F the Waterfurnace
    Series 7 is still running at a COP of 3.5 to 5.3, depending on the heat loss of
    the envelope and stage the HP is running at. With the higher ground temperature
    as compared to the outdoor air temperature, the geothermal HP is far more
    efficient than even Greenspeed. Geothermal has no defrost cycles. Backup is
    only used to assist the geo when the
    envelope heat loss is greater than the capacity of the HP or when the
    compressor is in lockout. The two work together till the set temp has been
    satisfied (except in lockout). The geo is never producing cold air and working
    against the backup, as an air-source HP system does in defrost.

While Greenspeed is very efficient, I personally would not
    own a home, other than perhaps a condo that does not have geothermal. I would
    not even look at anything else. Fortunately, my wife agrees. It’s a personal
    choice. It goes beyond money, there are other factors. After living with
    geothermal for over a dozen years, being professionally involved with
    geothermal, and almost every other technology as well, we can’t be convinced of
    anything otherwise.

I’ve often said and do
    believe that in the end everyone does what they perceive is best for them.

Regarding calculations for
    comparison, there is always a way. Once estimates are calculated for any
    particular form of energy, they can be converted into another unit of measure
    that’s easy to understand and work with, such as kW.

IMPO

SR

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I personally would not own a home, other than perhaps a condo that does not have geothermal. I would not even look at anything else. Fortunately, my wife agrees. It’s a personal choice. It goes beyond money, there are other factors.

Can you elaborate on this? To me, it's almost worth it just to not have a condensing unit. We're building on 8 acres of forest of very tall oak trees, you can't see or hear the neighbors most of the year, so it would be a shame to disturb that peace with a condensing unit running all the time. But beyond any potential savings on your energy bills, I'm curious what other intangible benefits you've discovered in the twelve years of ownership.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

fsq4cw,

You are probably correct that I am over simplifying the comparison of the efficiency of water sourced and air sourced heat pumps. You are far more of an expert than I will ever be.

Most homeowners would be willing to spend more money upfront on a geothermal heat pump if they there is a return on their additional investment. Unfortunately it is very difficult to calculate. But I suppose there are those like yourself that would be be willing to pay more for the other advantages a geothermal system provides. There is nothing wrong with making that choice provided the buyer understands the costs and benefits.

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

Re: Andy I

“But beyond any potential
    savings on your energy bills, I'm curious what other intangible benefits you've
    discovered in the twelve years of ownership.”

While it’s true that a
    condensing unit outdoors does disturb the peace, the ‘noise’ will be moved
    inside, hopefully somewhere where it will not be heard or much of a bother.

These are some of the
    reasons why I want geothermal.

We condition our homes to
    protect us from the extremes of the weather, when we have machinery operating
    in those same extremes they cannot last as long as machinery operating within
    the conditioned envelope.

I know that when we are on
    vacation we don’t have to worry about our heating anywhere near as much as with
    any other form of heating. Nor do we have
    to worry about vandalism or even theft of our unit. Our HP has not needed a
    repair or service call since the day it was installed almost 13-years ago. That
    would be very unusual for an air-source HP, gas or oil furnace. We do not have
    a service contract, this alone I’m sure has saved well over a thousand dollars.
    Changing the air filter and every year or so cleaning the evaporator coil is
    something I can easily do myself, as well as replacing a fan belt. A gas
    furnace would have to be serviced at least annually. Regarding gas, I would not like to pay for
    yet another utility hookup particularly during the many months when it would
    not even be used!

Geothermal consumes no hydrocarbons,
    requires no chimneys, chimney liners, annual cleanings to prevent fires, side
    vents, CO or gas detectors, fuel storage tanks, gas or fuel lines or liability
    issues with insurance companies.

IMPO

SR

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

Re: AndyII

When this geothermal HP
    needs replacement, it will cost at most what a high-end air-source HP system
    will cost. The ground loops will probably outlast the building, possibly by
    hundreds of years. Right now the HP is at most only half way through its life
    cycle. The HP looks exactly as it did
    the day it was installed. I know what a 13-year old air-source HP looks like;
    I’ve replaced many of them for other people.

My experience with
    geothermal heat pumps is that most seem to be built like commercial refrigeration
    equipment and less like residential heat pumps or air-conditioners. When
    properly designed and installed they’re like the old rotary telephone – ultra
    reliable, set it and forget it.

As for your new home Andy,
    you may have space on your property to install a horizontal ground loop or perhaps
    a pond loop that may be less expensive than a vertical loop. If you travel and
    are away from home often, nothing else offers the efficiency and peace of mind
    that geothermal does.

Research it and see if it’s
    for you. It certainly is for us!

IMPO

SR

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

While it’s true that a condensing unit outdoors does disturb the peace, the ‘noise’ will be moved inside, hopefully somewhere where it will not be heard or much of a bother.

Huh? Why would the noise be moved inside? Instead of a fan forcing air over a condensing coil, you have pipes buried in the ground. There should be no noise moved inside. The noise inside would be the same with either system, a fan forcing air through ductwork. In light of your seemingly expert comments I'm totally baffled right now. Either I completely misunderstand how GSHPs work (and the noise they generate), or I completely am misunderstanding your comment...what's the deal here?

That said, I appreciate your comment and think I agree with you overall.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

There is no condenser fan, but you will have some noise from the compressor. Nothing that a closed mechanical room door can (almost) completely obscure. Noise level depends on the size of the compressor, I imagine.

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I see. Yeah I can't imagine the compressor is going to be louder than the compressor on a refrigerator...but maybe that's where I'm wrong. Is it pretty loud fsq4?

• stickman42
    7 years ago

I hear my compressor kick on and then the noise kind of subsides. It's not louder than the oil burner I used to have. The air handler in the attic is not audible except for duct noise. And non-pressurized flow center I have is completely silent.

• mike_home
    7 years ago

You also have noise from the two waters pumps. There are three motors running at the same time. I would think pump moving the water anti-freeze mixture has to be large enough to move thousands of gallons up a vertical well.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I think fsq4 is a salesman for or otherwise involved with geothermal products, maybe he can clarify if that's the case. If so, that needs to be considered along with his suggestions.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

You also have noise from the two waters pumps. There are three motors running at the same time.

Not in my case. My flow center has a single Grundfos UPS26-99 pump for the loop. There are no other pumps (besides the desuperheater circulator, which is inside the the heat pump cabinet). Other installs have different pump configs based on the amount of pumping power required.

I would think pump moving the water anti-freeze mixture has to be large enough to move thousands of gallons up a vertical well.

The pump must be large enough to do the job, but the job may not be a large as you portray it. I have 4 vertical bores of 200 feet deep each, so 1600 feet of 3/4" ID HDPE plus the 1.25" run to and from the house. Using an online pipe volume calculator, 2000' of 3/4" ID pipe holds less than 50 gallons. I do have approx. 23% propylene glycol as antifreeze, so my loop fluid is heavier than straight H2O, but the 26-99 at 1/6 horsepower has been handling the task for 3 years running. If it's an open loop, then, yes, you will be moving more water. I admit that I do not have any experience with this type of loop, but the pumping requirements probably will vary. The OP hasn't yet specified which type of loop is being considered.

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

1 of 2

Andy:

Yes, when the compressor is
    moved indoors so is the noise. It is a compressor that is much larger and more
    powerful than that of a fridge compressor, usually about 4-HP for a 3-ton HP. However,
    these heat pumps are usually built to a very high standard with lots of sound
    insulation so it should not be a major factor. HP should be placed on a sound
    absorbing pad and plenums with about 6-feet of main duct connected to the
    plenum should have sound absorbing insulation on its inside. There should also
    be a vibration-absorbing break between the HP & plenum. I often watch television,
    which is in a family room adjacent to the mechanical room with the door of the
    mechanical room left open and it usually doesn’t bother me enough to close the
    door – even with the compressor running. All other pumps, such as for flow
    center and desuperheater should be almost silent unless you are right beside
    them. These should not be an issue.

The number of pumps is
    determined by the type of HP, generally up to a 3-ton HP will have flow centers
    with 1-pump. 4 & 5-ton HP will have flow centers with 2-pumps (circulators).
    These would be all for closed loop ground loops, vertical or horizontal, as
    well as for closed pond loops. Opened loop (different from non-pressurized flow
    centers) are a different animal. There you would likely have the pump at the
    bottom of a well, which would not be heard.

Stickman:

Sounds like you have a
    Phoenix QT1-EA Flow Center with a 4-ton HP. If this is correct and each
    borehole is 200ft deep, connected in parallel, then I would imagine you have a very
    well designed and efficient ground loop & HP system! I hope I’m right for
    your sake.

1-circulator for a 4-ton
    system seems under sized…

Are the headers in the mechanical
    room or buried, assuming parallel, not series configuration?

SR

• fsq4cw
    7 years ago

2 of 2

Regarding my ‘job title’, I
    consider myself an independent consultant but what I am is directly dependent
    on who is paying me. Sometimes I am a salesman when an HVAC company wants me to
    represent them with a specific client. At times I’m a consultant for a
    geothermal driller that wants me to visit on-site to evaluate, ‘How the Hell (or
    worse…) are we going to drill here’! Other times I’m called in by a home owner
    that will tell me that their geothermal system has never worked properly and they don’t believe what their installer
    or anyone else is telling them; they’re at their wits end and don’t know what to
    do. At other times a homeowner would like to convert to geothermal and would
    like an independent opinion, education and advice on what geothermal is and
    what it does, will have me consult with them. I’ve also been hired to just over
    see a project to be sure everything is done ‘right’ because either the
    homeowner or building contractor doesn’t have the knowledge base to understand
    everything that goes into a proper installation.

So who am I? That depends on
    who is writing the cheque! I always do my utmost to be truthful but I must also
    be mindful of whose interests I’m really representing on any given project and
    who hands me the pay envelope.

Who am I to me? At this
    point I’m retired and am a ‘Home Barista’ having a lot of fun working with
    completely different types of ‘boilers’ and rotary pumps. ‘Retired’ doesn’t mean
    that I ‘never’ work. It just means that it costs a whole lot more to take me
    away from my ‘Latté Art’!

My favorite thing now is to do ‘Coffee Interventions’ where I’ll visit
    someone whose grinder or espresso machine is all messed up and they can’t seem
    to pull a good shot no matter what they do.

Full disclosure; I always
    have a look at their heating & cooling systems too. Can’t help it, it’s in
    the blood – that and caffeine!

SR

• Andy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for that explanation, the very specific suggestions on how to minimize noise will help when it comes time for me to speak intelligently to the HVAC contractor.

• stickman42
    7 years ago

fsq4cw

My flow center is a non-pressurized one pump B & D QT model. The four loops are in parallel and headered outside. With the one pump I am on the low side of the required amount of flow (2.25 gpm/ton instead of 3 gpm/ton), but it's within spec and my heat of extraction / heat of rejection numbers are good.