SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

brown and green layering in lasagna bed

Mary4b
7 years ago

So, my new hostas beds are much tougher clay than I thought they'd be and I want to create some lasagna beds in order to plant my new stuff...mostly hostas, some perennials and trees this fall.

My community has free compost and free shredded mulch that looked really lovely and actually finer than I expected...definitely not fresh wood chips. Obviously, all of this comes from the community clippings, etc, so I do not know the sources. Also free, most likely I could get grass clippings, again, they might include all kinds of weed seeds, as these are just there because folks dropped it off.

I HAVE plenty of cardboard from cardboard boxes. I can remove the tape.

I HAVE quite a bit of green weeds.

I HAVE a large "compost" pile that keeps getting piled on, but never turned.

I HAVE some old bags of peat in the shed...is that green or brown?

Then, I could get the free compost and free shredded mulch.

According to http://sarasota.ifas.ufl.edu/compost-info/tutorial/can-i-compost-it.shtml tutorial, they say that wood is "brown".

So, could I technically just layer the free mulch with the free compost to create my green and brown layers...and then amend with my own weed clippings and kitchen scraps into the "green" as I get it?

Something like this, all moistened as I go:

1, bottom layer: cardboard, with no openings

2, free compost/clippings/kitchen/green weeds/coffee

3. free wood mulch shredded

4. free compost/clippings/kitchen/green weeds/coffee

5 free wood mulch shredded

6 Moisten and cover with plastic for 2-3 weeks, then uncover and let nature take over? The tutorial above recommended the plastic. I think I have some, so I wouldn't have to buy it.

Are there any easy/cheap "cheats" to make it all speed a long better...buy earthworms, buy compost starter? And what about my huge pile that I have, that's never been turned...that has apples layered from last year, leaves, weed leaves (no bad seeds included, like thistle tops,etc)

Long post, but I hope that I've conveyed that I'm not trying to buy too much, although I am not against purchasing.

Reminder question...is
Canadian Sphagam Peat green or brown?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!