mamapinky0

Whirlpool Duet

mamapinky0
7 years ago

Comments (152)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I went back down to the laundramat earlier...pulled a chair up and stood on it to take a look..out of curiosity. .actually I was passing by so we stopped..no one was there and the attendant had a sign out saying out for a walk..lol...I got a pic..omg..no wonder the washer was full of suds...look at this nast

y dispenser.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry its blurry...all that blue and white is detergents..its a real mess

• Related Discussions

Whirlpool Duet failure - advice needed

Q

Comments (11)
    Thought I'd post the conclusion to this story. I was able to schedule the A&E repair people directly. The A&E guy recognized the problem and for $250 he replaced the seal for me and agreed that we should replace the glass ourselves, since we could get it affordably and it's an easy fix. My husband could have replaced the seal, but it took the repair guy quite awhile; he had to take off several cover plates and use his specialized tools, so I was happier to have him do it (in a manner of speaking). We ordered the new glass from Sears Parts Direct and installed it easily. We also had to clean the pulverized rubber from the filter and vacuum it out from the drum (where it collected down the holes). The washer works acceptably again; the seal also appears to have been reengineered so there is much less of a space for socks etc. to collect. (I noticed that it's even tighter on the newest models.) So I guess my $649 washer was actually a $900 washer...oh well! No help in the end from Whirlpool. Each day when I called they reminded me that they had '36-48 business hours' to respond. (Took me awhile to get what '48 business hours' really meant...yes...48 hours their business is open, whatever that is. Up to about 6 business days, I guess.) A couple of days after we repaired the washer, they finally said they were ready to make a repair appointment for me. They would cover the parts and I would be responsible for labor, with a minimum charge of $200. Had I been more patient, perhaps I could have saved myself $50 ... to repair what was their design flaw!?! It's odd to me that they would have so little interest in protecting their company's good reputation, but I suppose they've done market research to support this approach. Too bad!
    ...See More

Oil burn smell from whirlpool duet front loader

Q

Comments (1)
    Call Whirlpool. There should not be any smell.
    ...See More

Don’t buy Whirlpool Duet washing machine

Q

Comments (20)
    I clean all heavy items, an example being a huge and thick comforter, at the laundromat. I did a batch today so I could put them away till winter and it cost over $50.00. The washing machines cost $7..25 a load and the dryers are even more expensive.. I needed 3 washing machines, for a total of $21.75 for them alone, not counting the dryers.
    ...See More

Whirlpool duet steam washer not cleaning clothes

Q

Comments (3)
    I have a Whirlpool Duet Steam, but they have produced many variants. The machines produced within the past 12 years do not have an adjustable water level. Do you happen to have the model number? Also, what cycle are you using?
    ...See More
  • Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

That is some nasty [filtered].

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's what is caked up inside that detergent dispenser. .gross. I'd think everyone's wash in that will be heavy on suds.

• miami mami
    7 years ago

Glad to hear about the new machine mp! Happy/excited for you!

mamapinky0 thanked miami mami
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Bet the new poolie will handle quilts. Trips to the laundomat may be over for you pinky.

mamapinky0 thanked rococogurl
  • mrb6228
    7 years ago

How about the 8hr soak? Have you tried it yet? Inquiring minds want to know...

How often does it turn over the load?

Is it cold soak only?

MRB

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Speaking of suds levels, I did a load of soft items today on Normal/warm with 1 Tb of Persil Proclean. These suds seem quite optimal to me but others may disagree.

• georgect
    7 years ago

@rococogurl...that's my level of suds that I aim for and that I think I've finally mastered.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mrb...mine only has up to 1 hour soaks..Ihaven't tried it yet but when I do I will post the info on it.

Roc..I've seen suds exactly like yours two times on my machine..all the other loads no suds at all as a matter of fact a load of darks smelled not so fresh so they needed rewashed, I do not blame my water levels as I do see drenched clothes and puddles of water...I think I'm just not using enough detergent. I always use 2T..but I am pretty sure I need to increase it.

Your suds amount look good..but Roc...what do I know lol

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Your drum is large and fits more clothing than your SQ or any of our Euro-sized machines, so I agree 2T might be too little if they are on the fuller side!

mamapinky0 thanked Alex Chicago
  • doreycrouse
    7 years ago

I have moderately hard water, and typically 3T for a normally soiled full load is enough.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm going to up my dose a bit...running a load of Chips bath towels using a Tide F&G Pod, I just started it so we will see what suds I'd like.

I've noticed something...if I run a load on towels using hot the front and side of the machine gets much hotter than it does on allergen or sanitize.

• izeve
    7 years ago

I'm assuming your machine doesn't have a combination of buttons that would display the internal temp? My LG does that and it's great to get an instant temp read at any point in the cycle.

How long into the cycle can you pause and open the door? Mine locks at a fairly low temp, so I can't stick a thermometer in.

If your door just has single glass (i.e. there is no additional flat glass or plexi over the porthole) you can use a laser gun thermometer to get approximate temperature by pointing it onto the wet clothes inside the drum.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Rococo - that's the level of suds I see on my WP95. To me, that's just enough to know I remembered to add detergent and that the washer isn't going to choke to death, no matter how dirty my garden clothes were.

izeve - the door has exterior port-hole glass and interior shaped glass (heavy-duty plexiglass or whatever material). There is no magic set of buttons to push to obtain the internal temperature. What Pinky describes as the unit being warm-to-touch is still the best method of knowing the interior is hot.

Pinky - if you're using a powder detergent, you'll find out when your dosage is too much, not by the suds, but the residue in the detergent drawer. Since we have a water softening system, I'm always wary of using too much soap and softener - hard to get the shampoo out of my hair sometimes. HE detergents have recommended dosage for load-size based on average water. You should be safe using the full recommended label instructions. Keep notes on a Post-It if one detergent dosage needs tweaking.

mamapinky0 thanked Jeannie Cochell
  • enduring
    7 years ago

To get suds like Roc's Miele, in my Miele, I have to use 2.5 - 3TB. My water is moderate hardness, I believe, at 6-7 whatevers.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

I have softened water and use slightly less than one (1) tablespoon of powder detergent to get Roc's level of suds. Different strokes. ..

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have soft city water...the last 2 loads I used 3 T Persil pearls and had suds like Roc.

Earlier I did a medium load of hubs work shirts and used 2T Persil ProClean liquid. .SUDS..my first suds scare, but the suds code did not come on. Appears Persil liquid may not be good for me. Than again it could be because it wasnt a large load and these shirts are mostly poly.

• doreycrouse
    7 years ago

I have never had the suds code on my Duet, even though I have seen the tub FULL of suds a few times. They have actually come out the back of the machine and onto the floor before. Comforters typically make this happen.

mamapinky0 thanked doreycrouse
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm sure I would freek..lol..and grab the downy. But speaking of comforters..I washed a full/ queen white down alternative comforter today..I was not expecting it..and I should have..but it came out brilliantly white and fresh smelling (no FS)...I'm very very pleaded. Wonder if washing a Queen down comforter would be pushing it...Moroseaz what do you think? Its medium weight.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Down is very heavy when it gets wet. Be careful. The problem is drying it at lower temps and making sure it's dry. Use dryer balls or clean tennis balls to distribute the down.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago

All my suds issues have been with liquid. Some have been 2x or more concentrated. However, the Perwoll black will suds up sometimes. No idea why.

The suds level in my photo above was a small load with 1 Tb. Persil Pro Clean liquid (American). We have a whole house water softener so I always need to watch the soap.

I have never used more than 2 tb of powder/perls detergent. My water is too soft.

Re adding something to the machine. I can stop mine but I never have. I just throw whatever was forgotten or fell out back into the laundry basket. These dang things are operating on controller boards and even though I can, I don't like to interrupt a cycle.

Also -- can someone tell me why the Samsung is not a preferred machine? What about Maytags? Mamapinky's saga to find the right washer for her has really piqued my interest in American washers with heaters. I didn't look at these because they were too tall to fit under a counter. And even a 4.2 capacity would be huge for us. I do such small loads plus I sort. But American machines with heaters do more or less the same thing as mine does and they cost a good deal less.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Maytag is a brand of Whirlpool since 2007, I think. Models are remarkably similar to Whirlpool. Nothing wrong with either brand, works for large segments of the laundry public. Samsung is known for many models and tries to appeal to many market segments. Construction is never quite complete, IMO, sharp edges, lots of plastic, doors that will bend if they are leaned on. Lots of shiny facades that quickly scratch, dent and look worn out. There is also a history of poor customer service whether it's unobtainable parts or no locally available service providers. Yes, Samsung offers a lot of bells and whistles for the buck, but look at the unhappy customers who can't get their appliances fixed or have them crash after only two or three years. Yeah, I know, there are lemons in every line. I've had better luck with the best local independent than I did at the BB store, better installation and fewer problems

In FLs, I've had a whirlpool, a GE, and the current LG. The most flexible is the 2 year old LG. The Whirlpool did a few things well. But couldn't do things like super delicate or very large. I liked it for being a steady worker. The GE was a nightmare from the beginning to the end. All had heaters which I used. When I shopped for the last machine, I watched a family looking at the FL washers. One of the kids maybe 10 or 11 opened the door on successive Samsungs and swung on them. Then he called to his mother to come close the machines because the door wouldn't fit any longer. Not too sturdy on the hinges. No 10 yr olds shouldn't swing on the FL door, but I can see one doing just that.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Mamap, I have washed medium sized down quilt in my Miele without an issue. I used the Down liquid detergent that Miele sells. I cant remember the cycle, if I used "pillows", or "wrinkle free". My "pillows" cycle does a dry pre spin, I assume to check the balance. Anyway I would think you could do a queen quilt.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had one tiny problem..I had a vintage muslin sheet soaking in the soup pot..I dumped it into the tub, actually I had my son Matt dump it last night...I wanted to run it thru a sanitize cycle but since it was full of soaking detergent I rinsed and rinsed it first in the tub..I wrung it out by hand as best I could until no water was dripping when I carried it to the laundry room. .I chose the drain and spin first..but it would not level itself to spin...the clock went from 14 to 12 than stayed there..I ended the cycle. So apparently I would have issues washing one sheet. I really don't want to wash this with my other sheets as its not quite ready to join the fully restored sheets that we use. Any suggestions?

Also I've noticed my sheets and pillowcases emerging from the washer much more wrinkled than my TL did...I think this has to do with spin speed, am I correct? I should not spin sheets at 1400...which spin speed do you suggest? TIA

• georgect
    7 years ago

Yeah Mama...it's tough for a front loader to spin just one item. It needs a bunch of things so it can distribute more evenly around the drum. You'll have to throw something else in with it.

Yes they will wrinkle more on higher spin speeds. You can take the spin speed down a notch or two.

mamapinky0 thanked georgect
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you George...guess I will have to add a few cotton/poly blend sheets to this muslin, I was going to donate the poly blend sheets anyway.

I will take the spin speed down for sheets...thank you George.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

mamapinky, how long did the clock stay at 12 before you ended the cycle?

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

@ MamaP....ALL front loaders do not like to wash & spin a single item. It is just in there (un)balancing nature ;)

I always, always spin my sheets at 1400rpm spin. Yes, they look wrinkled when the spin cycle is complete, but they are SPUN and little moisture is left.

Before you put them in the dryer of hang up for air dry....you just shake them, like I do to every clothing item before placing in the dryer. They come out perfect, wrinkles gone. When you take clothes from the washer, do you just throw them in the dryer? I individually shake and kind of fluff each piece before putting in the dryer. I have always done this, and I rarely, rarely have to iron any clothing!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Suburbanmd...about 10 minutes, do you think I should have waited longer?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Larsi, yes I always shake each piece out before going in the dryer or line..but the sheets are comming out of the washer so wrinkled its difficult to shake em out well..I do however iron all the sheets so it really isn't a biggie. Thank You Larsi.

• boba1
    7 years ago

It may have eventually spun out the sheet, but it has to get a lot of the water out through multiple balance routines. But rule #1 is never wash one single item such as one sheet, it just won't balance4 easily or at all. The machine will eventually time out and stop if it cannot balance for the final spin. For blankets, I wash one at a time on delicate with extra rinse. No interim spins until after the final rinse and it only has to balance one spin and saves a lot of time. That's a queen or larger blanket. If double or twin, wash two together. It will take some time to get used to. But also try to thing logically and ponder on the physics involved.

mamapinky0 thanked boba1
  • suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Yep, it may eventually spin the sheet, so I say you should let it go longer, even if just to see if it gives up on its own.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Boba...I hear and obey LOL..joking aside..I understand now and will follow your good advice.

This was strange...my cousin gave me some poly blend sheets that I'm going to donate..but I put them in the tub first to rinse them as she has a new Kenmore TL and its not rinsing well..I didn't want a suds overload in my machine..the tub was loaded in detergent. I rinsed until clear and hubs wrung them out good but of course they were still wet 4 twin flats and 4 pillowcases...I put them in the washer, wet, chose Allergen, no detergent to play it safe..omg the water level was way to high..it was splashing all over the place. It actually scared me..this is the only time this has happened so I'm assuming it had to do with a wet load weighing more...I don't know but the entire time it washed I was nervous..rinse was normal for allergen.

• boba1
    7 years ago

I personally would have put them in wet and either done a rinse & spin or spin only.

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

My Duet will extend the spin by up to 15 minutes if it can't balance. After that, it will automatically lower the spin speed (without indicating it on the control panel). I've found that lowering the spin speee manually will make the machine less fuzzy during balancing.

Here's an older video of me washing a door mat. Skip to 9:00 minutes for the final spin. On mine, there are to spins: a slow pre-spin and a max final spin. For the pre-spin, the washer spun without issues - for the fast final spin, it took about 20 minutes of balancing before it lowered the speed to low. You can also see the amount of suds the mat kicked up (mainly because I expected to Duet to do an automatic prewash, according to the manual part of the Outdoor cycle, which then didn't happen and I got a double-dose of detergent in the main wash).

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Pinky, you're getting lots of good advice and I'm learning stuff, too. But, yeah, pausing the machine too much and too often isn't something I do.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

I'm sure the occasional pause of the washer or dryer is fine, and will not cause any problems at all. I just remember years and years ago, the Service Mgr. for Miele was adjusting my first W48xx series washer, and he said unless it is an "emergency" it is best NOT interrupt a washing or drying cycle....I do not remember his exact reason, but something with the control board/ecu/fuzzy logic..... So unless I must, I let all wash and dry cycles complete on their own!

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

Interrupting a Miele washer's cycle after the load sensing phase, deletes all gathered information about load size and forces the washer to perform a "full load cycle", even if you are washing just a single item.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

THANK YOU Alex (Whirlpool). I totally remember Miele saying this, maybe this is what he was talking about..fuzzy logic, programming info, etc....

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

IDon't believe I've paused the machine too much or too often...a few time I have for sure, not realizing the add a garment was not to be used. This is not something I have been doing with every load. I have tried very hard to follow everyone's advice and the manual..I hope you understand this is all new to me and I am still learning..I'm confused as to why a option like add a garment is even on the machine if it shouldn't ever be used. Very confusing.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Add a garment is just another feature piled on to sell the machine. It's a FL version of an accommodation to top loader sensibility. Unfortunately, it's not a great feature since it messes up the computer.

It's tough to learn to trust the machine but the washer is fairly smart -- so you don't need to work so hard.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Ask your nice dealer what the time range is for using add a garment. That will give you the window to check clothing and temps.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

The Add-a-Garment procedure is intended to be -- press Pause, open the door, add an item, close the door, press Start. Leaving the door open longer than that would reasonably take and/or moving the items to expose the water level, jostling the tub, etc. is probably what's causing the erratic behavior.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't mind staying out of the washer, think I've paused it five times now..mainly testing water for slippery ness..making sure I added enough detergent. .but think I know what I'm doing with dosing now. Tha ks everyone

• nerdyshopper
    7 years ago

I'm just an occasional visiter here and I really enjoyed this thread. I have a 7-8 year old Samsung fl and it needs to be wiped thoroughly to prevent mold. We use an old towel to wipe the door and all sides of the rubber gasket, especially at the bottom where water collects. We don't wipe the interior; and we leave the door open between washings. I don't have a suds problem even though I only use the Tide powder scoop filled to about half of the first line. I also fill the machine with enough clothes to come up 3/4 full when dry. They compress a lot when wet.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Pinky, I didn't say I NEVER use the add-a-garment. I just don't use it for any other reason than to add more than 1-2 items. Sticking a thermometer in there or feeling the clothes isn't part of my routine. I did watch that Add-a-Garment light and would've sworn that once it went off, it stayed off, but I was running a HD load and noticed the light does come back on. I told it if it's still hungry, it could go change the bed. Next time I looked the bed wasn't changed and the AAG light was off.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol...ok yes I felt the water for slipperiness and took the temp twice..I think it was just part of my learning curve...I don't open it every load..and don't plan to..I'm trying to take good care of this machine, and don't want to deliberty do anything that could possiably harm it. Now that I know using the add a garment could cause problems I won't use it unless its urgent..I had no idea doing this was harmful..I still say it shouldn't even be an option but I haven't used it excessivly. And don't plan to again...I found out my main question. .which was whether I added enough detergent. .I also know I can actually judge it by suds level..no bubbles at all..not even a few tiny ones and the water feels clear unconditioned..a few tiny bubbles and the water is slippery...now its figuring out the proper amount for each load with each detergent. .which will take time and is more of a judgement call...I've learned Miele whitecan be used with a full load of whites using hot water..but can't be used in a full load of sheets that are washed every three days but US or Euro Pearls can be. Towels can also be done in hot using 1&1/2 T Pearls but even 1T. Miele is too sudsy. Tide Turbo powder works great at 3T on colors, it will suds up a bit close to the end of the wash cycle but appears to disappear quickly. Tide F&G pods should only be used in a FULLload and Mich's ALL Stainlifter pods do great all the time. I'm taking notes lol.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

MamaP...You are learning VERY quickly!! I am proud of you! I really agree on all your findings regarding Tide, Persil, Euro Persil, F&G pods and Mich's all stainlifter pods!

Miele UltraWhite works very well!, but works best of BIG loads or loads that actually need to be cleaned...if not, it can get very sudsy!

I find almost everything is too sudsy on towels, LOL. Liquids, and anything Miele is very sudsy with bath towels. Tide "he" powder is the lowest sudsing on towels.

My FAV for towels is Rosalie's Zero Suds or about 1 TBS. of Bubble Bandit. Little sudsing (none with Rosalie's) and both give nice clear rinses!

Mama...you still need to post some videos of your wash and rinses!!

P.S. Don't use the Add a Garment and Don't end the cycles early. Press Start and let the computers do the rest ;)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol..end cycles early...only a nut would do that...why would anyone end a cycle early.that's crazy.