SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Need new garbage disposal

Anglophilia
7 years ago

After disconnecting my disposal Mon am as part I'd demo, the plumber said my sneaks had dry rot and I might be able to fix it or would need to get a new one. This GE one us 13 years old do no parts available. I must have a batch feed disposal but I gave no idea what horsepower or what brand yo guy. Any suggestions? It's just me living alone and I use it very lightly - old lines to sewer do I'm careful about the disposal.

Comments (24)

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Get at least a 3/4 HP and don't get a Badger.

• weedmeister
    7 years ago

Waste King for batch feed, though I think they and Insinkerator are the same now.

• Related Discussions

garbage disposal keep old one or buy new?

Q

Comments (16)
    A dissenting viewpoint. When it does need to be replaced, will you be doing that yourself? Then keep it until it dies. But if you don't DIY, you'll pay in the remodel to have the old one installed and then when you replace it, you'll pay again for the new installation (and that will be a minimum one hour charge, if your plumber is like mine). Further, I went from a 1/2HP Insinkerator Badger to a 3/4HP Insinkerator Evolution ProCompact, and it was a huge improvement. So if it's relatively new, then keeping it makes sense, but if you may only have a couple more years, ditch it now and move up. In the past, my Insinkerators usually lasted about 10 years. Maybe I'm hard on them.
    ...See More

Do I need a new garbage disposer?

Q

Comments (4)
    Cronological age means little. Use and power feed are more important for figuring replacement issues. We had an Insinkerator in our new house for 9 years---sold the house to a fellow I worked with----who told me everything that he had to fix---never mentioned the disposer. Moved into a mobile, installed an Insinkerator that lasted 12 years----and died from having the motor damaged by low voltage problems---makes the motor over heat. The replacement was a Badger---was 15 years old when we moved. Leave it.
    ...See More

new air switch . . . do I need a new garbage disposal?

Q

Comments (2)
    No. The air switch button is connected to a plug-in unit that will plug into the existing outlet for the disposer. Then you take the disposer plug and plug it into the air switch unit. If your disposer is hard-wired, then you will need to add a plug to the end of the wire to plug it in. Any air switch should be compatible (so long as it is proper voltage).
    ...See More

To garbage disposal or not garbage disposal

Q

Comments (26)
    My husband and I were just discussing this the other day, if we had it to do over again, we wouldn't. I don't really cook the kind of meals that need a lot of "disposing" and my garbage is picked up twice a week. I don't think it is worth the sometimes smelly unpleasantness. It probably is more likely to smell if you hardly ever use it, as in our case. I only got it because I replaced the one that went on the fritz after 16 years. I should have just ditched it then and could have gotten a different kind of sink but that's a whole other story. I also don't like how much room it takes up under the sink.
    ...See More
  • friedajune
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Weedmeister - Waste King and Insinkerator are not the same company.

Anglophilia - I am with you about the batch feed style. It's the only kind I have ever had or will have, but I understand that some people like the operation of the continuous feed better. To each his own.

3/4 hp is a must. Especially with old plumbing - you want the finest grind possible, and to have that, you need 3/4 hp, no less.

The Insinkerator Cover Control with 3/4 hp will be quieter than the Waste King 9900TC. But the Waste King will have a bigger chamber and more torque, making it more powerful even with the same 3/4 hp. The Waste King cover is hard black plastic - a non-starter for some people. I have this Waste King model because I wanted the larger chamber, and its black cover is fine with me. Both Waste King and Insinkerator 3/4 hp models are good choices; it depends which of those features you like more.

If you want to go super-powerful (and I don't get that impression from your OP), you could move up to 1 hp. The Insinkerator 1 hp is under the Kitchenaid badge Model KBDS100T. Waste King also has a 1 hp model, the 9980TC. Both will need a lot of room under your sink, and your plumber should help you determine if the size will fit with your plumbing.

Anglophilia thanked friedajune
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Waste King.

• teachmkt1
    7 years ago

Moved to Waste Kings a few years ago due to ISEs conking off withing days after warranties expired and based on CR's reviews. I think ISE's may have changed their grinders, the CR video was not flattering to ISE some years back. Currently have 1HP Waste King legend and it is a beast, also was about $150 less than comparable ISE. Note Friedajune's comment on size and fit: the Waste Kings vary in size and can be too tall if you've a deep sink.

• DIY2Much2Do
    7 years ago

Another vote for Waste King. I love our 1 HP model. But it's huge, as mentioned. The plumber installed the drain line quite low to compensate for the 10" deep sink + large disposal.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, I ended up having no choice. Plumbing company owner waited until Wed late afternoon to tell me that parts are not available for my old GE so I must get a new one. I called all over town and the only batch feed anyone had in stock was a 1 hp KitchenAid which was nearly $500. Plumbing contractor had an Incinerator (1 hp) in stock for just under $400 so that is what I got. I have no doubt he dawdled around about calling me so I would not have time to go online and order one. I needed my sink back as quickly as possible. At age 72, I'm not into roughing it with only a small bathroom sink for very long. I will say that this one is much quieter than the 13 yr old GE, and the sink plug/twister to turn the disposal on, is much heavier and more handsome than what I had. I could have gotten a continuous feed for less, but the re-wiring would have cost me more than the difference in price and I think batch feed are safer anyway.

• James May
    7 years ago

I know this is old but I am going to hop. I heard people say great things about Waste King. So when I was redoing my house several years ago I put in a waste king and an Insinkerator (can't remember the model but it was top of the line residential when I got it). Not a fan of the Waste King. Very loud and there were items the Insinkerator had no issues with but the Waste King just spun them around and never disposed of them. The only thing I encountered the Insinkerator had issues with was Chicken Skin.

I have since moved and had to replace the garbage disposal. I got a 1.1HP Insinkerator. So far I love it. It is quiet and eats everything thrown at it.

• friedajune
    7 years ago

Sorry to disagree with you James May - my experience has been different from yours. Though I agree that Waste Kings are louder (not a biggie for me; they are on for 30-60 seconds at a time). I had a Waste King batch feed 3/4 hp for 13 years. It did die after 13 years of hard use, but I was fine with that. I put everything down that disposal - chicken bones, pineapple rinds (though not pineapple tops), banana peels, even corn cobs (cut in half). Never had one problem. I replaced the 13-year-old Waste King with the same model (the 9900TC), and it appears to be as good as the previous model, and I continue putting just about everything down it with no issues.

One interesting thing to note when comparing Insinkerator and Waste King is the warranties offered. Waste King's warranties are much longer than Insinkerator's for equivalent models. For example, the Insinkerator 3/4 hp batch feed disposal has a 7-year in-home warranty; the Waste King 3/4 hp batch feed disposal has a 10-year in-home warranty.

Manufacturers take on the kind of warranty risk they know their disposals can handle. BTW, the Waste King 9980TC 1 hp disposal has a lifetime warranty. Insinkerator does not offer a lifetime warranty on any model.

• James May
    7 years ago

With my wasteking which was the 1hp model had to run it at least twice as long to dispose of the same material as my insinkerator. The wasteking did fine with things like rib bones, pineapple tops, etc. Just don't try and put green onion stalks, etc down it. The insinkerator had both covered without issue.

I do not remember the warranty on either. However at my new place the the insinkerator badger 5 died at 16 years. The insinkeartor I replaced it with has a 12 year in house warranty.

• User
    7 years ago

People actually put pineapple tops and rib bones through a garbage disposal? That's nuts - those things belong in the compost or the garbage. No wonder city drain and water treatment costs are so high!

• James May
    7 years ago

Not everyone has the option to compost. Better down the garbage disposal than into the landfill.

• M Miller
    7 years ago

James May, I simply don't believe that you had a 1 hp Waste King disposal that could not grind green onion stalks, or had any problem grinding anything. That has not been my experience with 30 years of using both Waste King disposals and Insinkerators. The 1 hp Waste King is monstrously big, and very powerful. Why didn't you contact Waste King if you were having problems? Their in-home warranty would have resolved the issues you say you were having with the 1 hp disposal. Your story doesn't add up.

• User
    7 years ago

My community discourages garbage disposal use. It costs much more money to treat sewage than solid waste.

• dan1888
    7 years ago

The Insinkerator Essential is fast but quiet with zero problems. The next model up includes an additional layer of cutters(triple) to chop even more finely. Easier on septic(with additive) and, of course, sewage systems. Stainless cutters and chamber.

http://shop.insinkerator.com/p/insinkerator-evolution-essential-garbage-disposal

• James May
    7 years ago

M Miller - Why did't I contact WasteKing? Honestly it never occurred to me. The garbage disposal had consistent issues with certain classes of waste. It chewed through anything hard and solid. That is where the power of the motor comes into play. The design of a garbage disposal is muck more than simply the motor. Just like a car and pretty much every other product. You can chose to believe me or not. Really does not matter to me. I am simply relating my experience with the 1hp Wasteking, Legend Series I got from Costco.

My previous Insinkerator had its issue with raw chicken skin. I did not think to call and complain about that either. It was just a matter of using the correct tool for the job.

I am glad that Wasteking works well for you. For me it did not. I was much happier with the Insinkerator and felt it was worth the additional cost. Not everyone will agree with me. That is fine. Competition is great for any industry so I am happy there are other options out there.

aliceinwonderland_id - I have to disagree with you on the landfill. With the way Garbage is compacted many landfills have an issue with getting enough oxygen down to the organic waste to decompose it. If you run enough water in your disposal it will flush the waste all the way to the main pipes where additional water flow will keep it moving. At least that is my theory :) More and more cities are setup to handle the "solid" waste and make use of it. Not that I don't believe you but would you point me to a link discussing the issues with Garbage Disposals and pipes/Ph, etc?

• User
    7 years ago

What I have are hard copy tech reports, not internet links. When I get some time I'll see if I can find some articles for your. At the very least, please - no grease or greasy food, no bones, no meat and no absorbent materials such as rice and pasta - those things partially block pipes and cause backups and overflows in city sewer systems. More and more cities are either trying to handle the solid material or passing ordinances forbidding anything but human waste and toilet tissue from being sent to the sewer system - Raleigh, for example. New York City has terrible issues with old pipes. Seattle tried to pass an ordinance after showing that restaurant and residential disposals were causing sewer backups and overflows, but people threw a fit and the ordinance didn't pass. Your theory, if it isn't based in plumbing of pipe flow dynamics education and experience, isn't worth much.

• waterloo360t
    7 years ago

Sorry to drag this discussion up but I need a little guidance. We are redoing our kitchen and are planning on putting in a garbage disposal. I have a 16 year old, new in box, Insinkerator Pro 17 that was supposed to be installed in the kitchen when we did our first renovation. Gaskets seem good and everything is in the box. Not that $400 for a new one isn't a lot of money but when it represents about 0.25% of the budget should I just buy a new one? What are the benefits of the latest generation? Are they much quieter (something we are trying to achieve with dishwasher and external blower)? Am I just being penny wise and pound foolish?

Thanks

• plllog
    7 years ago

I was cleaning up at a relative's house the other day and was overcome by how loud the disposal was. I mean, you can hear my six year old Insinkerator Evolution Excel, but it's SO much quieter. I'm wondering if that's mostly in the drain cover, however. Mine seems to cover more, and it sounds like the dickens with it removed...

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I'd donate that one and get an Evolution. They are that much quieter. We kept our disposal when we redid our kitchen but bught a new one for the prep sink. Our old disposal is newer than the one you have in the box and the difference between it and the prep sink one is very significant.

• nerdyshopper
    7 years ago

If you are going to install it yourself, I would use the new/oldstock one. It will probably work fine. I believe many appliances have gone the route to cheaper production costs and that has cut quality. Not sure about garbage disposers. The designs are all similar and each brand has its adherents. For me, I wanted forged or cast stainless steel grinding hammers. Newer ones might have better sound insulation.

• dan1888
    7 years ago

Here's an updated link for the Essential. This has a 40oz stainless grind chamber and stainless grinding components. Same size as the Excel.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/ProductDetail.asp?Product=16867&AffiliateID=GoogleDirectFeed&gclid=COiq6fzMpc4CFZKCaQodLjQN4Q

Incinerator is replacing it with a 34.6oz XTR version(marketing- should be XSM) with a stainless grind chamber and stainless components. This unit will be available in August sometime.The Evolution Compact is the same size but uses a Composite grind chamber and stainless grinding components. I'm avoiding the composite grind chamber. If you have a waste pipe that goes horizontally into a wall behind your existing unit check that the added depth and resulting lower outlet position from the unit still allows drainage. If not wait for the XTR which is likely closer in depth to your existing disposal.

• waterloo360t
    7 years ago

Now that I have completely hijacked this thread I may as well continue - we need a batch feed (island sink w/ too many holes now), how well do the drain stoppers work on this when we want to fill the sink with water to hand wash dishes?

BTW, thanks for the help everyone! I'm leaning towards a new Evolution Cover Control Plus.