I can't believe my kitchen is actually done! Like everyone else I have enjoyed this website so much and everyone's help and opinions have been invaluable.
Let me preface by saying this was a kitchen UPDATE not a complete gut job. My cabinets were 8 years old and in great shape, so I worked around those and the existing footprint. But the small changes I did make made such a difference to me!
These are the changes I made:
- Thicker crown moulding along cabinet tops and crown moulding along the ceiling
- Raised panel endcaps
- Trash pullout in the island next to the sink and a recycling pull out by the oven
- Removed over the range microwave (I hated this thing, I always bumped it when I was cooking) and replaced with a countertop microwave in the corner. This was not ideal but for me was the lesser of the two evils and I couldn't figure out a good way to get a microwave drawer anywhere because they were all too wide.
- Added a vent hood but I don't remember which one ;)
- Added cabinet doors over open shelving in the island that I never used in all 8 years of living here
- Added glass cutouts around existing plate rack
- Added air switch (used to have to open the cabinet below the sink everytime I ran the disposal. This has changed my life)
- Replaced faucet with Delta Trinsic in Chrome (LOVE)
- Replaced sink with the Kohler Whitehaven 33" (perfection)
- Added a soap dispenser (I think it's Moen, it's the cheap on)
- Replaced granite with Quartzmasters Organic White (LOVE. I really wanted marble, and if I could have afforded Calacatta Gold I probably would have gone for it, but with 124 sq feet of counter there was no way that was happening. I must say, it is so so nice to have maintenance free countertops)
- Painted cabinetry BM White Dove
- Painted island color match of Farrow and Ball Downpipe (The island color is really fun, and mostly reads a lovely shade of blue gray but changes throughout the day and night)
- Walls BM Revere Pewter
- Replaced backsplash with matte 2x8 subway tile in a herringbone pattern that my friend who installed will never forgive me for. It took FOREVER to make all those cuts, especially with the windows, but he did a fantastic job (tile from discountglasstilestore.com, Metro White) Grout is Platinum from Home Depot
- Added hardware (Restoration Hardware Duluth knobs and pulls in Chrome)
- Barstools from Crate and Barrel (Origin Backless)
- Pendants from Horchow (Regina Andrew Camden 5 light lantern)
Well, here it is, I keep waiting for the light to be better but I give up. Just know the island is a brighter blue gray ;):