SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katieleabrown86

My Reveal!!!

katieleabrown86
7 years ago

I can't believe my kitchen is actually done! Like everyone else I have enjoyed this website so much and everyone's help and opinions have been invaluable.

Let me preface by saying this was a kitchen UPDATE not a complete gut job. My cabinets were 8 years old and in great shape, so I worked around those and the existing footprint. But the small changes I did make made such a difference to me!

These are the changes I made:

- Thicker crown moulding along cabinet tops and crown moulding along the ceiling

- Raised panel endcaps

- Trash pullout in the island next to the sink and a recycling pull out by the oven

- Removed over the range microwave (I hated this thing, I always bumped it when I was cooking) and replaced with a countertop microwave in the corner. This was not ideal but for me was the lesser of the two evils and I couldn't figure out a good way to get a microwave drawer anywhere because they were all too wide.

- Added a vent hood but I don't remember which one ;)

- Added cabinet doors over open shelving in the island that I never used in all 8 years of living here

- Added glass cutouts around existing plate rack

- Added air switch (used to have to open the cabinet below the sink everytime I ran the disposal. This has changed my life)

- Replaced faucet with Delta Trinsic in Chrome (LOVE)

- Replaced sink with the Kohler Whitehaven 33" (perfection)

- Added a soap dispenser (I think it's Moen, it's the cheap on)

- Replaced granite with Quartzmasters Organic White (LOVE. I really wanted marble, and if I could have afforded Calacatta Gold I probably would have gone for it, but with 124 sq feet of counter there was no way that was happening. I must say, it is so so nice to have maintenance free countertops)

- Painted cabinetry BM White Dove

- Painted island color match of Farrow and Ball Downpipe (The island color is really fun, and mostly reads a lovely shade of blue gray but changes throughout the day and night)

- Walls BM Revere Pewter

- Replaced backsplash with matte 2x8 subway tile in a herringbone pattern that my friend who installed will never forgive me for. It took FOREVER to make all those cuts, especially with the windows, but he did a fantastic job (tile from discountglasstilestore.com, Metro White) Grout is Platinum from Home Depot

- Added hardware (Restoration Hardware Duluth knobs and pulls in Chrome)

- Barstools from Crate and Barrel (Origin Backless)

- Pendants from Horchow (Regina Andrew Camden 5 light lantern)

Well, here it is, I keep waiting for the light to be better but I give up. Just know the island is a brighter blue gray ;):

In a perfect world I would have remembered to close the deck box outside and put something pretty in the basket! Planning to get a more brightly colored rug. Styling isn't my strong point.
Microwave situation is not ideal, but I have countertop to spare so it's really not an issue having it out and it's actually much easier for my kids to get to.

Comments (94)

• jchristie24
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen katieleabrown86! We are using a ton of the same colors. I'm curious - you mentioned in one of your posts that you were checking out Neolith in person. I am trying to decide between Quartermasters Statuario and Neolith Estaturio. But I haven't seen Neolith in person in an actual kitchen - I'm wondering what you thought. Thanks so much and enjoy your new kitchen!

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jchristie24, thanks! I never saw the Neolith in an actual kitchen, but I did see the slabs in person. They were absolutely gorgeous! I spoke to several fabricators on the phone and found one that seemed really good, but the numbers he was giving me over the phone we're getting pretty astronomical because my kitchen was so large and I wanted a mitered edge (I didn't want it just the thickness of the slab). So combined with that and my fear of the polished finish showing scratches I just kind of gave up on it. I didn't like the texture of the silk finish enough alone to justify the price. I think they have some new finishes though and it is a gorgeous product. If you search Neolith on Instagram you can find a lot more pictures of kitchens. Good luck!!

• Related Discussions

my reveal

Q

Comments (41)
    sstrazisar - we're in Pittsburgh too! Nice to see another local...most of the other PA people that have been on here have been on the eastern side of the state! Love your kitchen. It looks very functional and well thought out. I enjoyed hearing your breakdown of costs as well as why your appliances didn't wind up being a higher cost than they were - from how you describe your lifestyle, you spent your money wisely (not that you need approval from us)...as an area to gather and do some light cooking. We wound up with our MW a little higher than yours, but we did a barrister style opening (the door retracts back...although it sticks out some). Although the MW isn't in it's place yet, in opening the door, I've found that there is shadowing from the door into that area. While I was at IKEA, I found an LED bar light that I'm planning on installing - it plugs in (same outlet as for the MW) and it's motion activated - I can't tell how much room you have between teh MW and the top of the cabinet, but it might work for you...if you have interest in checking into that, here's the link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40163844/#/90163846 - it comes in 3 different lengths ($20, $25, or $30), although I only remember seeing the one in our store. You need to get the $5 Ansulta power supply also. Here is a link that might be useful: Light for in the MW cabinet
    ...See More

My Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (26)
    Thank-you everyone for the encouraging words! This Christmas (even though it wasn't completely finished) was the first year I felt at ease. It was the fact that we had the space to move! The space for people to enjoy without getting in my way! Whistle - the clock I picked up from Pier One Imports kam76- the height from floor to top of the moulding is 109" and ceiling in the kitchen I believe is 13-14' at the flat peak. Spaklingwater- the thassos shows very white, no pink at all and very steady colour. the carrera is where we see the variation with even some gold brown to almost black pieces. Luckily we did the backsplash ourselves so I plucked out some really off pieces and exchanged them for others left over. I don't know where the knife block came from... DH bought for me for a Xmas gift... It screamed ME! lol. Here is a close up shot of the "back splurge" without grout, The grout color we chose was silverado, very blendable. Again thank-you everyone, and to everyone's posts over the couple of years that helped with some decisions. This forum was a big help! even with the constructive criticism.
    ...See More

Finally, my reveal

Q

Comments (38)
    Thank you everyone. The six weeks it took really seem like no big deal in hindsight. To anyone who thinks it seems undoable--- just plan plan plan. I set up a nice second kitchen in the basement ("nice " is most definitely a relative term---washing dishes in my concrete disgusting laundry tub was not "nice," but it was worth it). It all seems like a very short dream now and the old kitchen seems like a horrible mistake... Which is an accurate description, actually.
    ...See More

my reveal

Q

Comments (55)
    Just organizing delivery and installation for the LG induction model LSE4616 which looks just like the one in your reveal... I'm wondering about the installation, and in particular the gap between the counter and the appliance. Since it doesn't have an overlap, do you have anything to prevent spillage in the (very small) gap between the counter and the stovetop?
    ...See More
  • jchristie24
    7 years ago

Thanks katieleabrown86! That's exactly what I'm nervous about scratches on the polished Neolith (don't like the other finished enough either :)) over the course of time. It's definitely beautiful but the scratches would bug me. They say you can cut on it (which I would never do anyhow) but with polished sample I'm seeing scratches. Would love to get in touch with somebody who has had Neolith on kitchen counter and can attest to durability. Thanks so much again!!

• enjoymoore
    7 years ago

Katie, Beautiful Kitchen! Thank you so much for sharing. I am driving myself crazy being, as you called it "countertop obsessed" :) But I think I have narrowed it down to the Quartermaster Calcutta Grey or Organic White. Did you consider the grey? Just curious what made your final decision? I, like everyone else, want marble but not the upkeep. I have marble in my bathroom and it is horrible and so etched. I've read on here, especially when talking about the silestone that some of the colors have a "grainy" look, which to me is a dead give away for fake marble. (does that make sense?) I didn't notice that when I was looking at the quartzmasters slabs but now I'm nervous about it. I need to make my final decision this week. Thanks again for sharing so many pictures!!

katieleabrown86 thanked enjoymoore
  • katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Enjoymoore, glad to know I'm not the only crazy one obsessed with counters! I do think the Quartzmasters has far less to zero "graininess" which also bothered me about a lot about the other quartzes when I was looking. I picked the organic white because it had the linear pattern and I don't rmember the Calcutta grey having that, so that's what swayed me in that direction. But that's just a personal preference! Good luck!

ps- I always hear so many stories of people defending their marble so it's nice to sometimes hear that it is a nightmare to maintain ;) makes me feel more validated in my choice of Quartz!

• divotdiva2
    7 years ago

We priced Neolith here, it was astronomical. The edge of the counter will also have a line with no color when they build the edge to make it look thicker.

I wish we had Quartzmasters!!! Beautiful kitchen, great choices!

katieleabrown86 thanked divotdiva2
  • Kristi
    7 years ago

Gorgeous!

katieleabrown86 thanked Kristi
  • Shelley Graham
    7 years ago

Beautiful transformation!!

katieleabrown86 thanked Shelley Graham
  • PRO
    Design OCD
    7 years ago

Love your choices. Looks great.

katieleabrown86 thanked Design OCD
  • L Illian
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely amazing and we have very similar taste! I have narrowed my countertop choice down to QM organic white and London Sky. I have two questions for you. Did you consider London Sky? Did you go to see it and choose this countertop over it? I often hear them discussed as very similar. Also, how do you like your Kohler Whitehaven sink? I am very set on getting the same exact sink but am worried about its maintenance. Please tell me exactly what you like/don't like about it. Thank you so much!! You did a fantastic job.

katieleabrown86 thanked L Illian
  • katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lana, I wasn't able to find any dealers with London Sky when I was looking so I have never compared them in person. From the internet they look nearly identical to me. I would go based on which is available to you and which one is cheaper if there is a price difference. I love my kohler whitehaven sink! so far maintenance is easy. if it starts to look yellowish/dirty (about once a week), I squirt a little bit of liquid barkeepers friend in the sink and rub it around with a paper towel and voila! it sparkles again. Good luck with your choices!

• Troy Farwell
    7 years ago

Looks great. I like the gray a lot.

• candacelill
    7 years ago

Hi katieleabrown86. Your kitchen is beautiful! I really appreciate all
    the info
    you post and after reading the listing about Organic White vs London
    Grey, they
    are now my top contenders for my Kitchen island. I emailed Thomas and he
    said the closest place with slabs is Dallas. I also live in Austin and
    wondered if you would mind if I came to see your slab.
    candace.lill@hotmail.com. Thanks!

• L Illian
    7 years ago

Hi KatieLeaBrown86, just curious what drew you to the matte subway tile and how happy you are with it, now that you have been living with it for a little while.

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Lana, I originally wanted a calacatta gold subway tile, but so many people on here made comments about mixing real marble with marble look Quartz so I chickened out. Now that it's all done I'm not convinced that it would have looked bad. I do love my backsplash but sometimes I do think it's a bit on the stark side and wished I had just done the marble or maybe this other hex marble and mother of pearl backsplash I liked just for a little more sparkle and dimension. I also went again my instinct to do a glossy white subway tile and did a matte because a few people I asked felt that glossy was more for bathrooms and matte for kitchens. But I don't think that's necessarily true and am sure I probably would have been happy with glossy also. So with all that I am neutral about my backsplash. I think it's really pretty but the cheaper subway tile didn't save me any money in the end because the labor to have it set in a herringbone pattern, especially around the Windows, set me back a bunch and it took forever for my friend to put in. Not sure it was worth the hassle, I think there are a few options I could have been happy with, but I do still love how it turned out.

• L Illian
    7 years ago

Thanks Katie. It's so hard to know what will go with the quartz! Thanks for the info!

• Taw Gilbert
    7 years ago

Love!!! What's the overhang for the counters?

katieleabrown86 thanked Taw Gilbert
  • cfmomof3
    7 years ago

Hi Katie! Your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm planning an update too, very similar to what you've done. Thinking organic white quartz on island and maybe leathered steel gray granite on perimeter (or maybe quartz everywhere, haven't decided!). I love your backsplash. Can you tell me what color grout you used? Looks like it's gray? Thanks!

katieleabrown86 thanked cfmomof3
  • Julie L.
    7 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen remodel!! Perfection! Gives me lots of inspiration in transforming my kitchen.

katieleabrown86 thanked Julie L.
  • katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Taw, the island counter hangs approximately 12 inches from the cabinets. I'm assuming that's what you mean by overhang? All the others stick out about an inch and a quarter.

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aafetchko, yes it's a light grey from Home Depot called Platinum.

• Barbara Clark
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Stunning kitchen! Do you mind sharing the name of your fabricator/installer, are the seams visible, also who painted your cabinets? I am also in the Austin area.

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! We used j&h granite in Hutto. They did a great job

• Kristi
    7 years ago

Just beautiful!

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Barbara just saw the rest of your questions. I think he seams looks very good! Barely visible. I used Joe Galvan for painting the cabinets. He did a fantastic job. Very happy with the quality of his work. If you want his contact info I can email it to you.

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Katie I know you posted this a year ago, but I wanted to push it to the top because somewhere I bumped into a thread about your Organic White countertops and now I'm obsessed with them lol. Especially love the contrast with your island.

I was back to the stone warehouse today basically asking them if I could have what you have for Quartz countertops showing them pictures of yours. The warehouse has some Quartz Masters slabs but not Organic white, therefore, I would kinda be ordering site unseen ...only through pics they are sending me from NJ yikes. They pics of the slabs they sent me have very quiet veining and I wasn't really going for that quiet :/ honestly I didn't think there would be that much variation between slabs now I'm kinda concerned :(

btw your kitchen is gorgeous!

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! The counters are difficult to photograph. I remember not being able to tell much from the pictures the NJ warehouse sent me either. They are more quiet than some of the quartzes, but definitely still have the marble look and feel. I saw a slab 3 hours from where I live and then by the time I was ready to order they were backordered for six weeks and I had to have them shipped sight unseen which was very nervewrecking and I guess slightly risky in hindsight since I didn't get to view my exact slabs. But I had seen a slab in person before so I knew I liked it and I had to keep trusting my memory. I don't know how much variation there is from slab to slab. I ordered 3 slabs and was just told if they all came from the same lot they would match. If your stone warehouse carries Quartzmasters already then maybe they will be getting some organic white soon and you can hold off ordering or maybe they can order slabs for you but not make you purchase until you see in person. I don't know, it's such a huge decision and everyone's opinion on what makes a countertop beautiful is so different so no one wants to be responsible for someone else's decision ;). I have been very satisfied with the quality of the counter so far tho. Clean up is a breeze and zero stains and or chips. Good luck!

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh I wanted to add there are sections of the counter with more "white space" than others. I.e. The pattern is busier in places than others. I think this makes it look a little less fake but does add to the quieter feel.

• User
    6 years ago

I still LOVE the herringbone and windows. I really would love to incorporate windows like that one day!

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Oh I'm so glad you responded :)

I actually feel a little better knowing you were in the same situation. My warehouse will not be getting any in soon ...only for me if I decide a go and it is my understanding it will be mine regardless. We have waited 3 weeks for the 3 cm to come in and now that it is here or I should say I'm NJ I need to decide pretty quickly as it seems it's in demand.

My sample is different from the new samples I saw in the warehouse and I understand that if it is taken from a different section of the slab but I did not know that the slab had a lot of variation From slab to slab. I do love the subtlety of this Quartz. Very nice. I am really thinking of going with a natural polished marble backsplash ...that I k is is a no no on here but as you said we all think different things are beautiful :) I'm glad to hear your happy with your Quartz :) it turned out great!

The girl I'm working with at the warehouse is so sweet she suggested we send an email asking if we could see pics of 3 slabs and then tag ones I like and have them shipped. She also suggested we send them your pics of what I like. Would that be ok?

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Oh I hear you on the white spaces making look more real...I agree the more random the better!

I'll put up the picture I got from the warehouse and you can tell me what you think.

Oh did you get 2cm or 3cm wonder if that makes a difference?

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I got 3 cm. I kind of wish I had done a marble backsplash. I think the small marble looks really good with it. In fact I had 3x6 calacatta marble tiles I really wanted to use but chickened out. Sometimes I think the white perimeter cabinets with the white backsplash and the white backsplash is too stark. You can use my pics ;)

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Here is a pic of the slab they sent me

And a close up

Thoughts?

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Thank you for letting me use your pics!

: *

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

I had white cabinets up until demo day a couple weeks ago lol... and white tile floor so I hear you on feeling stark.

I remember someone coming in a saying wow that's a really white kitchen so I thought I'd tone it down a bit now by doing dark cabinets this time but keep the floor for now and go with light counter and backsplash. I think your turned out beautiful! You have nice color contrast with floor, island, wall paint, and texture of the herringbone tile. Very nice!

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The veining patterns look similar to what mine looks like. I think the camera can't pick up on the details. It looks like what I remember the slab pictures looking like but I can't promise anything ;). Good luck!

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Thanks Katie I hope your right about the camera not picking up details, either way I'm request pics of 2-3 more slabs hopefully I can tag and set aside. I appreciate your help :)

another question for you...

what are the dimensions of your island and what is the distance from pendant to pendant or should i say between the to glass lanterns? It looks like nice spacing and I like the scale to the island.

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Island is approximately 56"x82". Distance between pendants around 45"...

• lorir55
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Katie. Your kitchen is beautiful! Is your white haven sink tall apron or short. Also is it fireclay or enameled cast iron? Thanks!

• MaWizz
    6 years ago

Thanks Katie I'm glad I asked... I was thinking distance between the pendants was around 36". Again, everything looks really nice :)

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi lorir55, sorry to take so long to get back to you. I had to look up the order from Amazon. It's the tall apron. We had to build new base cabinet doors to fit it. I think it's cast iron but I don't know for sure.

• Alexandra pro
    6 years ago

Hi Lana, I'm also deciding between Organic white and London sky. What did you end up using?

• L Illian
    6 years ago
    I ended up going with Vermont Danby marble which has proven much easier to care for than I thought.
  • michellew9
    5 years ago

katieleabrown86, your kitchen is beautiful! Your posts inspired me to seek out a slab of the Organic White in my area. Now that you've had it installed for awhile, do you still love it? Any issues with maintenance or anything?

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, still great. No chipping or staining. Zero problems.

• tanyamcw
    5 years ago
    Love the style and colors....(I am late to the show) ...Beautiful. I may have to change my island color and perimeter countertop based on your gorgeous reveal. Where did you, or did you, stop the BM Revere Pewter wall color in your open floorplan? And what color is your fam/living room wall color?
  • katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! because everything is so open I did the entire thing in revere pewter

• Home4Here
    5 years ago
    Simply marvelous! I love the light fixtures too and the fact they are contrasting.
  • psaag
    5 years ago

Hi katieleabrown86! Your kitchen is fab! You mention it feeling stark and that is what I am worried about in my remodel (also considering Organic White and painting cabinets white.) I don't have an island like you to add color, all cabinets will be the same color. What would you suggest for making it look less stark? I still haven't picked out a backsplash, so maybe that would be it?

• katieleabrown86
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think my kitchen’s huge size contributed to that feeling but i think that styling can definitely help (adding in wood elements on the counters or baskets or things with texture). I also think brass helps. I love my pendants and wonder if I had done brass hardware if that would have been a good idea for adding more warmth or if it would have been too much brass and too trendy. Definitely backsplash could change things up too. I hesitated to use real marble in the backsplash worrying that it would make the quartz look too fake. But I have since seen many people pair marble with quartz and i think it looks great. I think using smaller scale marble pieces can help also. Part of what made it feel stark was just getting used to it being white too since it used to all be dark. Good luck!