SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
privatejapanesemaplesanctuary

Japanese Maple Seedlings.Picture updates.GARDENGAL - HOUZI - MIKE -ALL

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Japanese Maple Forum

Here are a few pictures of my Japanese Maple seedlings.Some i'm sure are not Maples but at least 70% are.Its my 1st year trying this guys.Hopefully the efforts will be fruitful.

Approximately 80 have been planted into individual pots and around 50 are still in Cells.

Around 20 have only just got their 2nd set of leaves peeping out and sprouting

Would the Forum suggest these are taking a while to get going or is this gradual development natural

Mike if you do read this the Seedlings in the seed trays are yours.Some of yours have also been planted into individual pots.You may notice a letter "M" on a few of the Plant Tags.

Gardengal has suggested a diluted liquid fertilizer when the seedlings have 2 sets of established leaves.

What will be the best watering Process for these little fellas

I suppose its natural to be concerned at overwatering and equally natural to be concerned at underwatering

Any advice or observations would be hugely appreciated

Thanks for your time guys to read my latest post on the Forum

Happy Gardening

Stephen,Cheshire.UK

Comments (15)

• Maplesthebest
    7 years ago

Very cool. Love the genetic variation.

What are you planning on doing with them? I have about 30seedlings to be used as rootstock for grafting in the a year.

• privatejapanesemaplesanctuary
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the Comments Mike

Around 40 of these Seedlings are Youngsters from you there in Maple Valley !

• Huggorm
    7 years ago

Are those with the wide leaves, especially in the first picture, also japanese maples? They may be from the Macrantha subgenus, snakebark maples, but it's hard to tell this early

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    7 years ago

Love all your questions and enthusiasm, Stephen. I don't have to ask questions a lot of times, because you've already asked them! Hope those seedlings keep on growing!

All the best

Kyle

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary thanked Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for those pleasant Compliments Kyle

I have noticed you have been asking plenty of interesting questions about JMs that have been very helpful & beneficial to myself also.

You like me appear well hooked on the Whole Japanese Maple scene

Happy Gardening

Stephen,Cheshire.UK

• Leslie Tarly Z 5a
    7 years ago

...I'm 39. This post made me think I'd missed the mark on propogating multiple generations of Japanese maples. Will older-me will regret missed opportunities? I love Japanese maples so much.

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary thanked Leslie Tarly Z 5a
  • Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

I'm 72 and still doing it.

• Leslie Tarly Z 5a
    7 years ago

Holy $#*+! That tree is off the hook!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Leslie

I am sure you haven't missed the Mark in Growing Japanese Maples for Future Generations.

This is my 1st year and I have only started growing these from Seedlings the past 8 months or so.The Seeds were gathered in the month of October 2015 and then carefully planted into Seed trays shortly after

There has been so much Guidance and advice from Forum Members,particularly Gardengal - Houzi & Miketann.

A Few members will surely Chime in to your posts whatever the Enquiry

Happy Gardening

Stephen in the United Kingdom

Original Author
    7 years ago

Mike

Just messaging to ask whether that Lovely Red Leaf Japanese Maple has been grown from seed ?

Regards

Stephen

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

Yes, it has. I have very few named varieties. It's a matter of economics and being busy with all the seedlings I've been raising over the years.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Botann/library/Winter%202012-13

Mike

Original Author
    7 years ago

Mike,

When you look at a JM Seed in the Palm of the Hand then look at what it can potentially become as with yours here its nothing short of Mindblowing !

Incidentally Mike can you give an approximate age of this Tree.It looks around 25 ~ 30 Years Old

Happy Gardening

Stephen,Cheshire.UK

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

Closer to 30 than 25 years.

I've been watering my seedlings almost every day and most are putting on a lot of new growth now. That's always fun to watch.

Mike

privatejapanesemaplesanctuary thanked Mike McGarvey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mike

Like your good self I have now started watering the seedlings regularly.

This has been my 1st year with the seedlings and has really turned out and proved to be an experimental Journey.

I am considerably more prepared for the challenges of my 2nd year.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner