SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Detergent recommendations for FL'ers

mamapinky0
7 years ago

I thought this would be a fun thread. Im interested in hearing what detergents all of you Front Load users use. And if there is any perticular HE brand that is just to sudsy. I do have soft city water. I use powders the majority of the time however there are a few liquids that I adore. Such as Tide with Bleach alternative, Mich's ALL pods, Tide F&G pods Persil ProCaps. But as much as I love these liquids they are for occasional use for me. So please I'd love to hear what you use in your FL machine.

Comments (35)

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Recommend you stay away from Cheer powder even if it says He. Suds with as little as 1Tbl. Arm & Hammer He Powder OK. Can't use Tide so others can help there. All Free and Clear Liquid and Powder is OK with careful dosing. You will figure what works with your water and your machine.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • georgect
    7 years ago

I'm having good luck with just about everything except Persil. That's my Achilles heel. I have to dose on the low side or suds-o-rama.

mamapinky0 thanked georgect
  • Related Discussions

Recommend detergent for itching?

Q

Comments (15)
    I had many skin issues (rash, hives, itch, swelling, redness) that turned out to be caused by detergents and softeners ( I used Tide and All for many years with downy fabric softener). Now I only use Bi-o-kleen as my detergent and use vinegar in both the wash and rinse cycles, and an extra rinse at the end of washing also helps. You could skip the vinegar all together and just do the extra rinse since biokleen does rinse quite clear. I do not suffer from any skin irritation with my new method.
    ...See More

7 Times More Detergent Than Recommended

Q

Comments (24)
    johnmarie...therein lies the problem, I don't wash anything in a sink full of water, instead I take the lazy route and squirt the detergent directly onto the dirty knife or pot. I do fill up skillets & pots with hot water and detergent to let them soak, again squirting in any ole amount, I don't even know how much. Come to think of it I do the same thing when I wash the dog! Squirting that dog shampoo all over his back when I'm sure a lot less would do if I only took the time to fill up a bucket of water to dip a wash cloth into. So I'm wasting a lot of shampoo there as well. This week I measured the amount of laundry detergent I have been using and it came to 2 Tbsp, that is the lower line in the cup. So to use only 1 T I will have to cut that in half. Seems so little though. Which brings me to the next question... Concentrated detergent is really viscous, the stuff barely pours out of the cup, who know how much of it actually lands in the dispenser and how much is left in the cup! Worse when it's cold like yesterday when I went out to the garage to do a load of laundry and the stuff poured out of the bottle like ketchup. By the time it oozed out of the cup into the dispenser I bet half of it was still stuck to the sides of the cup. How's a person supposed to get an accurate measure when most of it doesn't make it out of the cup?
    ...See More

Need Help - Detergent Recommendations (Denim / All Clothes)

Q

Comments (3)
    I feel your pain! Since I went back to an old school washer, which by the way, out cleans the Bosch by leaps and bounds,Speed Queen. I have tried several detergents, all he and they still suds too much for me, Tide Total Care he was one of the worst and it didn't clean very good, was hard to rinse out, same with some others. What I have found that works really well is Cheer powder, Cleans great and very low sudsing. There is no OBA's in it so it's great for colors. I do like Tide with Bleach he for my light colors and whites that I don't bleach.
    ...See More

What detergent is recommended for top load?

Q

Comments (13)
    I read my manual again..it does say use HE branded detergent in the SQ TL washer so when I called my dealer about service I ask him if he understood this, he said most people use 1 detergent and that it was easier for Speed Queen to say HE than to go into detail that you need HE for the ECO cycle but could use non HE for other cycles. He also said that most americans would be confused if they were told to use more than one detergent. I don't completely agree with Speed Queen on this issue because people may not realize they need to use more HE detergent on the regular cycle which is using a lot more water for washing and a lot less for rinsing...and less on the Eco cycle. I also doubt most people buy a Speed Queen TL for the Eco cycle. I use Regular and HE detergent just depends what detergents I'm in the mood to use..I also don't use the Eco wash cycle but have used the Eco rinse cycle a few times if I think I need a bit more rinsing.
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    7 years ago

Sears powder is completely non-sudsing in my limited experience with it but it's not all that great of a detergent IMO.

Many HE-labeled products will oversuds if overdosed for the load size and/or soil level.

Dosing of the uber-concentrated liquids is tricky. Can be a "fine line" between enough and too much.

Liquids especially may suddenly suds-up when running a Sanitary cycle and the temp gets raised toward the high end of the scale. This isn't necessarily an indication of overdosing, it's just a phenomenon of liquids in very hot water.

I have not tried the Tide Turbo Clean products which supposedly are formulated to dissipates sudsing quickly when rinsing gets started but I have heard remarks from others that Turbo Clean does work nicely.

Dosage measuring lines on product caps are notorious for being difficult/impossible to see. I've found that those 1- and 2-tablespoon cups from Pepto Bismol and such work nicely for measuring liquids and provide much better granularity than wresting with the much larger detergent products caps.

mamapinky0 thanked dadoes
  • poppy214
    7 years ago

2 Tbl coffee measure is my perfect measuring device. My favorite is metal and has a long handle. It goes right in the dishwasher at the end of the day.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • sandy1616
    7 years ago

The powders I have used have all been fine. Liquids are trickier. Green Works, Vaska way too sudsy. Dosage is the key. Start at 2 Tbsp per load and go from there.

mamapinky0 thanked sandy1616
  • sspeer9
    7 years ago

Too many to choose :)

I agree with poppy. I keep a 2 Tbsp coffee spoon for powders. I think it's even more important to watch dosing on the newer FLs since they use even less water than before.

I also agree with dadoes. Liquids are trickier and the hotter the water, the more suds. I found the previous Tide formula to be sudsier than Iike. I have a new turbo rinse that i haven't tested out yet.

US Persil, non turbo Tide, and Vaska are my biggest suds bombs. I don't have problems with Cheer HE. My water is moderate hardness.

I'm starting to re-like Mrs Meyers, especially after finding the Rosemary scent, which doesn't have artificial fragrance. I also tried the Basil scent and while it does have some artificial fragrance, it's pretty light..I would recommend that one for anyone wanting a more old school laundry detergent scent. I think the lavender was the only other one I saw that had all natural fragrances

I'm going to list my favs judging by availability:

Easy: Tide w/bleach powder, Cheer he powder

A little searching around town: Mrs Meyers, 7th Gen Ultra power liquid

Online: Euro Persil powders, Miele powders, Charlie's, Ecover liquid/powder

mamapinky0 thanked sspeer9
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Again, when going from a top loader to a front loader the wise move is to do anything not previously washed in a front loader without any detergent whatsoever for the first time.

No idea whether whirlpool has an oversudsing feature -- IIRC it turns off or something. Don't want to sound like a party pooper because I'm very excited for you. OTOH, with soft water care and restraint is needed for the first few weeks at least.

Also, with soft water and a front loader it's best to forget anything that is concentrated. 2x concentrated does not work in my machine and 4x concentrated is a nightmare.

When you see how much soap will come out of sheets and towels during that first no-detergent wash I fear you will be very surprised. Just do one or two first loads until you know where it all stands. Any time I brought stuff that had been done in our apartment top loaders to the house with the FL, the first wash without detergent looked like it had detergent in there. Those were Speed Queens btw,

mamapinky0 thanked rococogurl
  • Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Okie dokie - Rococogurl & oversudsing in the WP95. The manual says "When excessive suds are detected, a special suds routine automatically starts to remove extra suds and ensure proper rinsing of your garments. This routine will add time to the original cycle." Now I don't have any idea if I have oversudsing or not because the washer is already watching out for me. I use three liquid detergents, no powders or pods; Tide HE, Percil Proclean 2-in-1 and Mrs Meyers Everyday in lavender. The caps are useless for measuring. I have a water softening system so I can't dose the recommended amount anyway. I also use a teaspoon or so of fabric softener (Mrs Meyers lavender) most of the time. Rarely use bleach, color-safe or chlorine but have both on hand. I pretreat with Resolve Gold or Whip-It when needed. As for not using powder detergent - there isn't much on the market anymore in my area and I got tired of the mess long ago.

mamapinky0 thanked Jeannie Cochell
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Roc, I will do my first load without detergent, but I will be shocked if there's residue..I am strict about rinsing and many times do a second deep rinse..so this will be interesting. Yes Roc..no detergents at first to be on the safe side..you have my word.

Moroseaz..I hope I also have this special suds routine. Lol..how kool is that.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

I'd be surprised if any frontloader nowdays doesn't have an automatic oversuds routine. I expect it's standard programming, whether or not it's mentioned in the feature details.

mamapinky0 thanked dadoes
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do have quite a lot of HE detergent. .way more than any TL user should have lol once I get all this detergents packed up behind closed doors I'll list what I have.

Larsi you have great cleaning and low suds with our Mich's ALL Pods, am I correct? I have a 72 load tub of them that's new and I like them.

You know what I should do...I have hundreds of pounds of detergent. ..I should bag it up in ziplocks like so many loads, label them all, and take them to my local flea market..they will sell like hot cakes. Heck just my Ariel with phosphates I probably have 500 pounds...and the huge boxes of Tide Mountain Spring scent. .I have 6 of them...the list goes on and on..now some things get saved for my collection..but I can part with a lot. I have other things I could sell also..but this is something I think I could do one weekend...LOL

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

MamaP...both Alex Chicago and I have great results using ONE of Mich's all pods. Low(ish) sudsing, amazing cleaning, great scent and clean rinsing!

You should for sure sell or donate 90% of all your detergents. Almost anything not "he" could be too sudsy, most liquids will be too sudsy and most powders you will use 1-2 TBS for each load.

Get ready to the world of front loaders. So many detergents out there, but since a box will last you MONTHS and MONTHS....start getting rid of your stash!! :)

mamapinky0 thanked larsi_gw
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Sears Ultra Plus. Gets clothes clean, rinses clean and even the scented versions don't reek. Would never use pods. I prefer to adjust the amount of detergent to the load. With a front loader very little is needed.

Clorox regular liquid for some things.

Hot water. Sani/allergy cycle for bedding and towels.

It's laundry, not rocket science.

• boba1
    7 years ago

My favorite for lights & whites is Tide He with Bleach alternative and Gain for colors. Both powders, no liquids at my house!!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Larsi..I will get rid of a ton of detergent but some will remain..remember I like collecting small boxes not to use but as a hobby of sorts.

Glad to hear the ALL Pods are ok for you..hopefully will be for me also. They are a gentle detergent and not harsh.

Is the Tide PurClean HE...not that I'm buying it..I'm not but I have 5 sample bags and the sample bags don't say..LOL Walmart was giving these samples out and even though I don't know the lady running the booth I see her there often and she's always been a friendly person so she gave me 5 of these.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

MamaP...Tide purclean is for both he and non-he machines. It did not earn Tide's new "he turbo". From what I have read and heard, this detergent is SUDSY. Save it for filling a sink and hand washing, or for travel.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Larsi...I took it because that free pricetag couldn't be beat..but I wont use it in my LAR..good idea for hand washing ..thanks Larsi.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Glad to hear the Whirlpool handles an oversuds incident. It makes perfect sense.

@mamapinky - I would definitely bag up and do a cute label for those detergents. Those could be sizes to take to the laundromat so they don't need to shlep the big boxes. Bet you'd do super well with that and it would make space. Brilliant! Would finance a whole different list.

Miele doesn't handle suds. It gives gives demerits -- literally. The first thing service looks up is the oversuds list -- and they do blame the owner if there are many of those. Turns out I have 600 hours on my machine in the first year and only 1 oversuds ding. Worst culprits are cleaning cloths since those have sudsy stuff in them but they also need detergent.

I have only HE. Euro Persil, Euro Persil for colors, the Persil 2 in 1 liquid, Woolite for Everyday (useless but OK for wool) -- Alex I will send you some for K's sox if you like. Also have Perwoll Sport which I use for yoga clothes and lingerie (good fresh fragrance), Perwoll delicate and Perwoll black. Usually I use 1/2 tablespoon of the liquids. I buy detergent less than once a year.

Additionally, I have the LeBlanc for sheets and Vaska tabs for towels. Forever New is hanging around. Plus I have the Miele Ultra White Larsi so kindly sent me and the Tide Pro mamapinky sent me which I'm using right now for the cleaning clothes (but it's a bit sudsy).

Mitch sent me some white pods that cleaned whites really well and didn't have a horrid fragrance. They were solid white. Not a fan of the blue liquid All Mighty fresh scent pods but it's to do with the fragrance.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Thanks, Roc. I had never before heard the advice to use no soap on the first loads through the new front loader. But I can assure you that is a great idea based on my experience of not doing that!

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

In mamapinky's case it will be fascinating since she relies on the sttp and the TL rinses to remove the soap. May be her first loads won't be like mine were. OTOH, it may be a big surprise. But that's the fun part, right? Always different for everyone. Water is so fickle.

• vetwife1998
    7 years ago

In my Whirlpool front loader I use the following detergents --

Cheer "he" powder

Cheer "he" liquid

Dreft "he" powder

Fairy powder

Powders measured with metal (holds 2 Tbsp) coffee scoop, using 1-3 Tbsp total, depending on load size.

• vetwife1998
    7 years ago

BTW, will someone post a picture of the "all stainlifter pods" you use? I know I've asked before, but I inevitably get distracted at store, and can never remember which one is the general favorite. !!

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

vetwife, the all pacs are amazing. NOT the new Powercore pacs, they are total rubbish!!! These are just sooooooo good:

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Uh, I had to lock up those all pods in a plastic container to contain the fragrance. Ones I have are "fresh scent".

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

Really Roc?

Myself, Alex, Mama and Mich...we all find the scent to be so light and clean (I mean like wonderful). They clean amazingly well too!!!

• Kathy W.
    7 years ago

When I had a WP FL my favorite detergent was Tide HE powder. A little went a long way. I also had better luck with powders VS liquids in my FL. Many HE liquids would oversuds so easily for me. But that was 5 years ago and HE detergents may have changed since then..

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Have them in jail. When I take them out I can smell them through the ziploc. When I used one my laundry room smelled like the pod for days. Cannot even describe the smell but I'd rather be in an elevator with Youth Dew.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

I wonder if it's because they are "fresh scent?" I don't think mine say that. I just sent a few to @LittleGreeny and he liked them as well. I know your sniffer is damn near canine, though, Roc.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

I really like the scent of the All pacs Alex shared with me but the scent remaining on my laundry is just a little bit strong though. Maybe it depends on how well your washer rinses? On my Frigidaire TL, when I set it to fabric softener "on" it does not spin between the wash and rinse. I don't know why it's programmed that way but I hate it. And when it's set to off I worry the spray rinses just aren't enough, even though it spins between each spray rinse. Sometimes I have it do a spray rinse and then do a rinse and spin cycle with the fabric softener "on" to get a deep rinse.

• boba1
    7 years ago

"it does not spin between the wash and rinse." I think it is probably another Energy Star "idea" to conserve more water in the disguise of a traditional looking top loader. I vaguely recall a mention or two on one of the FLer threads that some of the newest models are attaining that highest energy/water conservation level by eliminating interim spins between washes and rinses on additional cycles (other than delicate & hand wash)--ones that are traditionally thought to be more "regular" such as normal, heavy duty, .... I think Towels cycles may be one of the few that has not been messed with traditional rinse & spin sequences inn cycles. It's getting to the point I want to see all this insane conservation stuff abolished. The usual unsuspecting people who just throw the wash in and come back when its finish with their new washer and they begin itching due to poorly rinsed fabrics. and unfortunately the machine is going to be blamed and perceived as a piece of junk. Or they figure out what the issue is and begin doing multiple added rinses or simply starts a quick wash at the end of the previous cycle to get better rinsing. Kind of akin to when phosphates were removed from dishwasher detergents and cleaning results tanked and people were blaming the machine and replacing with new models that still yielded poor results. (And my next oldest sister was one of those with the dishwasher ""issue". She put up with it for almost a year and then commented to me her "problem". I told her about the reformulated detergents. Her solution, she began washing all her dishes and stuff by hand. So much for water conservation.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Boba1 - When I got my first FL, me and my family all spent a looooong time watching the laundry. None of us could believe we were going to get clean clothes out of there or that the machine wasn't going to leak or 101 other fictional problems we expected. At one point, I had people taking turns watching that washer for 20 minutes at a time. We finally determined, after about the 10th load, that the FL knew exactly what it was doing and the rest of us were just wasting time watching it. Now I have a Tier II WP95, covered with lip prints, and walk away. I don't ask it what it's doing nor why it does what it does. Dirty in/clean out/job done. Should all employees work so well, IMHO.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

Some cycles on some machines are specifically programmed NOT to do intermediate spins between wash and rinses. It's really to limit the amount of mechanical action for less than durable fabrics. You will usually see this on Woolmark and Delicate cycles. The caveat is more rinses are needed for complete rinsing. For durable fabrics eliminating spins is counter productive even from an energy star perspective. You would essentially have to add several rinses eliminating any potential water savings. The other benefit it provides is a much shortened cycle time, which is advantageous for some garments.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

What's strange is my washer drains for about 6-7 minutes just spinning super super slow between the wash and rinse cycles when the fabric softener is set to "on". I don't understand why it can't just ramp up to a regular spin.