SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

About H. imperialis, when grown indoors under lights...

greentoe357
7 years ago

Hi all! I used to hang out here a lot, but then somehow stopped reading and posting. Popping in here because Doug Chamberlain (Hi, Doug!) is not on facebook, where I just posted this primarily.

I've grown H. imperialis IML 0245 for more than 2 years now. It's grown A LOT, and it started budding non-stop many months ago - and every single time, those buds dropped when still very young - on at least 3 peduncles. This pic shows that that particular peduncle budded about 7 times:

Then, a year ago, I got another clone of H. imperialis (this one: http://vermonthoyas.com/2016/01/14/the-story-of-where-my-famous-hoya-imperialis-came-from/) from Doug. I got it solely because this was his best, easiest, most prolific blooming imperialis he had ever grown.

So, I got myself a small rooted plant from Doug a year ago. It has maybe doubled in size. (The other clone, IML 0245, multiplied MANY times over, I mean it's insane.)
Then about a week ago, I find buds on Doug's clone! They were already bigger and meatier at the time than IML 0245 buds ever got for me before, and now they've grown even more:

And they are nice green and juicy, with no sight of bud blast, totally unlike IML 0245.

Another thing is, Doug's clone has budded with a manageable number of buds - five this time. The other one would create these umbels packed with tiny buds, and then they would all blast, every time. Doug's plant seems way "smarter" this way - it seemingly only initiated the number of buds it has a chance of taking to maturity! (For those who are not familiar with the species - the individual flowers are HUGE, so it's not realistic at all to expect that a young plant would bloom with like a dozen flowers per umbel - WHY is the plant creating all those buds then???)

So, I am posting this even before it blooms (and of course they can still blast) - but already it is very obvious which is a better... if not bloomer then at least a budder. (Is that a word? I guess it is now lol.)

Comments (13)

Sponsored