SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stelmoqn

New Build Venting

stelmoqn
7 years ago

Retirement home construction is well underway, but not without problems (is any new construction without issues?) I know everyone says wait until drywall is up to make judgements on size of house, but I can already tell the house is too small. My DH took my favorite floorplan and had the architect cut off ~200 sq.ft. to "save money", but it is coming back to bite us at every turn - I've had to rework the kitchen island, recess the frig into the utility room which cut down the size of the pantry, and now with the change of the kitchen island, the dining room space is going to be too narrow. Some changes could be made fairly easily but hubby is resistant to doing any knockdowns at this point, saying it will weaken the structural integrity of the house. The dining room issue could also be solved by getting rid of the existing dining room table and chairs, and getting new furniture which fits the room, but he wants to hang on to the dinosaur.

We can't agree on light fixtures and every suggestion I make is met with a scowl and the statement "You watch too much HGTV". I'm already lost interest in the new house and want nothing more to do with it. How in the world am I going to survive the next few months - the new construction is 5 hours away and I have been trying to pack at our city house to get ready for new carpet and hardwood refinishing, but I'm constantly being harassed for not being at the construction site (despite being chastised for every single suggestion I make)....

I honestly don't see the big deal about making changes to the new construction as issues come up because I don't want to live with regret for NOT fixing them when we had the chance, but my husband won't let me. URGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Comments (9)