Can anyone I'd this wildflower?

wmshay6

Just finished blooming along roadsides in MD & VA. 24-30" tall, What is it?

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Hesperis matronalis-Dame's Rocket. Considered invasive....for me it's second or third tier invasive, in other words, not a top priority. I say this simply because wherever I've ever seen it growing, what would otherwise be growing in that location would be burdock, reed canary grass, Canada thistle, or some other less-than-desirable species. Plus, it has pretty flowers. I'm weird that way. Some practitioners go after this one with gusto.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Yep, not a native wildflower, it is native to Eurasia. But it has naturalized pretty much everywhere in the temperate world :-) As tom mentioned it is seldom considered a 'true' invasive as it does not really crowd out native plant growth but it does self seed with abandon and many consider it more of a weed than a valuable garden plant. But it IS sold for that purpose :-) Lunaria annua (money plant, honesty) and Centranthus ruber (Jupiter's beard or red valeran) are very similar in this regard - often planted intentionally but just as frequently seen popping up along roadsides or in untended spaces.

Save    
jnavarro31(6a)

Here in Michigan, Dame's Rocket is highly invasive, along with its cousin garlic mustard. Both are responsible for crowding out native woodland plants. I must admit that it is quite pretty when you drive by and see large swaths of pinks, purples, and whites along the wooded roadsides, but nevertheless it is bad stuff here. My neighbors apparently didn't get the message, because they planted some in their garden. My other neighbor planted goutweed. I wish garden centers would stop selling such invasive plants.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

I'd surely never plant dame's rocket, but as a shade-intolerant plant, I disagree that it has anywhere near the invasive potential of garlic mustard. The two could not be more different in that regard. Let garlic mustard invade a patch of woods and even such shade-tolerant native tree types as maples can no longer germinate and grow on the forest floor. Dame's has no such ability, being confined to reasonably sunny spots. Apples and pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Save    
wmshay6

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll admit, it is pretty growing along the roadsides. But I'll plant something else instead. Maybe some tropical milkweed- a flower with a different controversy!! But thanks again- now I at least know what it is and some history.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
Home Offices The Cure for Houzz Envy: Home Office Touches Anyone Can Do
Borrow these modest design moves to make your workspace more inviting, organized and personal
Full Story
Mudrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story
T.J. Gilbride Architects, Inc. is a full-service architectural design firm specializing in high quality custom... Read More
Fleur Interiors is a full service, residential Kitchen & Bath remodeler with over 30 years of experience. Our... Read More