Hand pollinating Jack-in-the-Pulpit

edlincoln(6A)

My parents have one small Jack-in-the-Pulpit. I think it is something I planted years ago and thought died. My friend has two big ones. All native species.

Could I try to pollinate them by running a Q-Tip around the flowers of his, putting the Q-tip in the fridge in a ziplock bag, then putting the Q-Tip in my parent's flower? Does that make sense? What should I know if I attempt this project? What does the male part of this flower look like? How long will pollen keep in the fridge?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Some people use a soft paintbrush, but I think a q-tip should work. There is no harm in trying.I would google the plant blossoms and then google a pint anatomical drawing and make a guess. I live in a place where jack in the pulleys fear to tread so I will keep my mouth shut. I would look for stammers and pastels , however you spell it.

Save    
docmom_gw(5)

I have heard that pollen has a very short period of viability. That means that if you try to store it in the fridge, it won't be any good for pollinating by the time you get to your parents' plant.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have heard of people freezing pollen and using it at a later date. This is how people will pollinate aloes that bloom at different times.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Let's Weed Out 4 Native Plant Myths
Plant wisely for a garden that supports pollinators and requires less work
Full Story
Edible Gardens Summer Crops: How to Grow Pumpkins
Start in spring to grow your own fall decorations and have plenty left for pies
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Wild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story
For over 20 years, we have been providing standard and custom craftsmanship in the design, fabrication and... Read More
Adaptiv is a full-service, interior/exterior design firm that provides clients with unique, customized solutions... Read More