SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

2016 June Block Lotto

polardream
7 years ago

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

- you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

- all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5 inches with no more than 1/4" variation please. With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks.

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

- you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Blocks are to be mailed to Linda. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at linda at schultz-assoc.com

Sue/polardreams

JUNE - Hole in the Barn Door - White/WOW w/Blue floral and another blue

THERE ARE A COUPLE DIFFERENCES IN THE POSITIONING OF COLORS 1 and 2 from the directions!!!!! Note the changes below!!!!

Think SKINNY Dark inside, WIDE WHITE outside.

Color 1 - Your blue to match / coordinate with the center (When you look at the instructions on on QuiltersCache, the WHITE is next to the center and is wider than the darker color. You still cut Color 1 and Color 2 the same, we have just reversed the positioning of the colors around the center square.)

Color 2 - I used off-white but any white or ivory will give nice results. Go by your floral colors.
Center - Your 6-1/2" blue floral

Hole in the Barn Door

Comments (55)

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

These look wonderful!! I guess I'd better get on my giddyup.

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    7 years ago

June lotto block Hole in the Barn Door · More Info
    I really like the looks of this one. Gonna send off 3 after I finish the July blocks so I can send those at the same time.

• Related Discussions

2016 Block Lotto

Q

Comments (11)
    It baffles me to even think of 2016, but I was ready to put 2015 behind us by July 1. Onward to a much better time! That being said, the lotto is always fun for me, each and every time I can do the block! (saving one here at home each time is creating quite a large stash, too, I am happy to say!!). I've loved and learned alot! You ladies are awesome to give of your time to keep on making this happen! Thank you soooo much!
    ...See More

2016 Block Lotto at a Glance

Q

Comments (23)
    Thank you, Hareball. I usually don't do scrappy. I started quilting last year so I don't really have a stash. However, I did have some red and blue left over from our July block last year. And when I bought polka dots for the May block I went with red and blue to cover both lotto blocks. The solids are just Kona cotton from Hobby Lobby. My Hobby Lobby will cut 1/8 yards (or 4.5" by wof), which works well for the lotto. When I started last year, it took me awhile to figure out how to economically get my hands on fabric for the lotto - - it's all a learning process! As far as the July lotto, here's how I constructed the block: 1) make my HST's 2) complete each row by sewing squares 1 and 2 together to make a 2 patch, then sew squares 3 and 4 together, then join the two 2 patches together to complete the row. 3) once all four rows are completed, I then join the top two rows together, then the bottom two rows, and lastly the final seam across the middle. I find this method works best for me. I also press and square up (if needed) between each step. Another method would be to make 4 four patches and then join together. I'm so glad you're doing the lotto, too! Can't wait to see your July blocks!
    ...See More

2016 Block Lotto at a Glance - November block picture

Q

Comments (2)
    Nice! Now I have to go look at the rest! Thanks for all your work putting the blocks together.
    ...See More

Lotto Blocks - September 2016

Q

Comments (21)
    Nice going, Nancy. Please take a picture of the blocks after you receive them, if possible. We'd love to see them all together.
    ...See More
  • Hareball
    7 years ago

I'm new to sewing and would like to try this out. :) Are a couple of fat quarters enough fabric for a couple of these? Sorry if the answer is obvious but I'm new! lol :)

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

Welcome, hareball.

For this particular block, yes, 3 fat quarters (one for each of the 3 required fabrics) would be enough to complete three blocks.

Did you see the green link under the photo in the original post? That link will take you to detailed instructions. Please note that for this particular block there is a modification to the QC instructions. So be sure to read the original post above (and look at the examples). And, just ask, if you have any questions. Everyone here is really helpful.

Jennifer

• Hareball
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much! :)
  • Hareball
    7 years ago
    Oh do I need to wash the fabric first?
  • jlt37869
    7 years ago

Good question! I *think* the answer is no.

I believe I was told when I started that it didn't matter. Hoping that's still the case because I am a pre washer, so all my fabric is pre washed. I *think* it's understood that some are using pre washed fabrics and some are not, but, for purposes of the lotto, that's okay since we want folks to participate.

Can someone else please confirm? Thanks!

Jennifer

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

Hareball - when I asked the question last year the answer was "no, it doesn't have to be pre washed". So, as I understand it, either way is fine.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2828971/lotto-block-questions?n=2

• Hareball
    7 years ago
    Thank you :) the colors in this pattern are so pretty. It reminds me of those old pitcher and bowl sets for washing your face. :)
  • beth7happy
    7 years ago

done

• polardream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Welcome, Hareball! Prewash if you want, but it is not necessary. I am traveling, but I think your questions were answered very well by others on the forum. We are glad to have you join us! Send Linda (toolgranny) an email for her mailing address.

Sue/polardreams

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Hareball - welcome! It is a great lotto group to join! I was thinking the same thing as you. My mom had dishes that she collected that were blue and white and I thought of those when I first saw this block. Very similar to the pic of your pitcher and bowl. I usually prewash all my fabrics before starting a project and sometimes it depends upon the block! Looking forward to seeing your blocks!

• Hareball
    7 years ago
    Done :) ok so if my blocks aren't that good I have some reasons lol these are my first quilt blocks, I'm a newbie at sewing and I had a two month old kitten "helping" lol so if you have a "nice try" or "we don't want to hurt her feelings" pile feel free to add them if they don't blend in with the others haha

It was a fun project :)
  • beth7happy
    7 years ago

pretty cool, hareball! the neat thing is that we all started somewhere, sometime!! at almost 60 years later (Oh.My.God!!!!) some of us still make mistakes and royally mess up! And, as a matter of fact, 'quilting' is VERY new to me...following a pattern is a challenge - I tend to be too much of a 'free spirit' sometimes! But..that's one reason I love the lotto block so much. And this is a great group, especially for some of us who have Senior moments and ask the same questions over and over!! Hope you enjoy your flight with us!

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Thank you so much Beth. :) I tend to be a visual/hands on learner so reading a pattern can be a challenge sometimes. I just have to take it a step at a time. I am a free spirit but also a perfectionist. With stuff like this I have to sometimes ignore that perfectionist voice or I'd never make anything. lol I don't really have a table in my craft room yet just a small desk for my machine so I think this is affecting my measurements. No solid surface to cut and measure on. But I'm getting one soon. :) Sorry for my life story! lol :D

• loisflan
    7 years ago

Hareball, your blocks look great, and maybe you'll have beginner's luck and win them all.

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Thank you Lois :) If I won I'd be as giddy as a school girl haha! :D

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Hareball - love your blocks! I can't tell you how many times I've measured, cut, re-cut, sewn, ripped out, re-sewn etc. It's all a part of learning this craft, but each time I get a little better! Looking forward to seeing your little one in future pics - they are the best critics and always know which project to check out!

• Hareball
    7 years ago

Thank you Carol :) Yeah one line I pulled apart and resewed 3 times and it still didn't look right :( I think overall they came out nice, and yes practice makes perfect. I really like everyone's blocks and really like the blue and white together. :) I'll post a picture of my kitten in a bit when I get off work. She acted like I was a jungle gym while I was trying to sew :\ lol

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

Received your blocks today Evelyn/Hareball and Beth in Florida. Good job girls. They are lovely. We're up to 16 already.

• Hareball
    7 years ago

I'm so happy you got them. Thank you! :) This is going to be a beautiful quilt :)

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Mailing 3 blocks today!

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

Those don't look like the others. Are you sure that's right?

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Oh shoot - you're right tool granny - good catch! I was so happy that I switched the blue and white, but didn't cut the right size. How embarrassing - and I liked the square too!

Linda - they're in the mail to you, so when they arrive just get rid of them and have a good laugh on me! I have a blue square left so I'll try to make one and mail that to you. I'll let you know if I get it done in time.

• toolgranny
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If I can match the white, I might just do a little "repair" and make them right. It would be hard to get rid of such pretty fabrics.

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

carol, I did the EXACT same thing and luckily caught it before I mailed.

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Linda - that is going way above and beyond and so generous of you to offer. When you get the blocks let me know what you think and in the meantime I'll look through my stash and see if I can make some more blocks.

Beth - at least you caught it in time to be able to fix before sending! Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't the only one to make that mistake. It makes me feel a little better, LOL!

• crrand1
    7 years ago

I found some blue flowered fabric in my scrap basket I forgot I had. I didn't like the first one I made, but will send all four anyway. I had to use the camera on my tablet so they look darker than they actually are.

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    7 years ago

Linda - I will be putting a package with blocks in it in the morning. It will have some extras with the June blocks.

• Hareball
    7 years ago

This is going to be such a pretty quilt! :)

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

I received Carol's and Patty's blocks today.

• carolnv
    7 years ago

I had enough blue floral and white to make one block, the correct way! It'll be mailed tomorrow.

• Hareball
    7 years ago

carolnv gorgeous! :)

• toolgranny
    7 years ago

Lots of blocks in the mail today. I laughed when I saw the extras with Linda's (Texas) June blocks. She has the whole year covered and extra for postage. Thanks Linda. I also have Chris' June blocks and Beth's July. We're up to 29 for this pile so far.

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    7 years ago

Glad they arrived. I hope the November ones end up done the right way. There is no picture attached to our list of directions - so I just took a stab at what I thought it should be. If not - I'll redo them further on down the line. Have a wonderful day and thanks for all you do for this group.

• polardream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a link to the November block Lotto for this year. For some reason when I did the "at a glance" information, it wouldn't let me post the November pictures. Hopefully this will help!

Sue

2016 November Block lotto

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    7 years ago
    I just glanced at it and I think I guesstimate correctly! Thanks.
  • toolgranny
    7 years ago

Well, the end of the month has come. I had hubby draw the number and our winner is ................. Patty in Florida. I'll send these off to you in the morning Patty. You will have quite a pile. We ended up with 30 and that will make a nice quilt. Enjoy.

• jlt37869
    7 years ago

Congrats, Patty! :-)

• nannykins
    7 years ago

Lucky Patty! Have fun with them.

Theresa

• carolnv
    7 years ago

Congrats Patty! I look forward to seeing the finished quilt. It's going to be beautiful!

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

Wow, Patty!!! Congrats!!! Those are some beautiful blocks!!

• polardream
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Congrats, Patty!

• pattyh060
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone I am excited to get blocks with hope of helping flood victims. I am a winner again!! Marvelous !!

• ibquiltn4fun LindaH
    7 years ago

That will be a wonderful donation for someone to receive. Congrats!

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

Here's an update on the June Lotto blocks! My sister, Pattyh060 won the blocks. I have a wonderful friend in W. Va. (he's not only a husband, dad, grandpa, dentist, but also a special missinoary! -has given countless hours of time and much $$ to start a dental clinic in Haiti,) The floods recently wiped out his business of 30 years as well as their beautiful home on the river in Clendenin. This quilt that you all helped to create will be going to them when it's finished. Right now -today, Patty and one of my other sisters are in Vermont busily getting the quilt onto the stretchers and readying it for finishing! It would be nice to have all of your names to send along when the quilt is finished.

• jlt37869
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Wait. So, you and Patty are sisters? And all three of you sisters quilt? That's so fun! I have three older brothers, no sisters. So when I spend time with my siblings, it usually involves sports, power tools, poker, beer, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's loss. So very thoughtful of you all to give him the quilt. It's such a nice quilt, I would have been tempted to keep it. Please post a photo when it's completed.

I didn't put my name on my blocks, but I did post a photo of them above. Feel free, in whatever manner, to add my name, Jennifer Turbett (from Georgia). In the future I will include this information with my blocks. Since it was optional, I just skipped that step. However, after winning a batch of blocks I now realize how awesome it is to have everyone's name/info.

Good job, sisters!

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

Yes, j - patty and I are sisters! and actually, we have another sister and a brother (but he doesn't sew that much!). All of us sew - my sisters (and brother!) are all multi-talented. Perhaps is comes from growing up 'poor' and learning to live, laugh and love with what you have! Our parents taught us to 'use it all' - things were not thrown away back then. Mom sewed all of our clothes (yes, you can hear me sing just like Dolly!! LOL). I still remember a snowsuit that I HATED, tho...because, of course, my school friends all had 'store bought' clothes! But we learned. and now we cherish those memories!

• Hareball
    7 years ago

beth7happy that's so neat! Please post more pictures if/when you can. So exciting! :)

• beth7happy
    7 years ago

Hareball, look at the thread "Hole in Barn Door * June 2016 Lotto Block"

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County