SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
davisl435

How do you save recipes you find online?

LisaD82
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've found a series of really easy, good weeknight dinners by following the NYT on Twitter...Mtn's last-minute-lunch thread has links to at least 3 recipes I want to try...An email last week had a link to an appetizer I want to make for the 4th...

How do you keep track of recipes when they're a link? Do you bookmark the link, print the recipe, note the URL?

Overall, how do you keep track of recipes in general? I used to have my beloved cookbooks, a few clippings from the newspaper, and recipe cards handed down from grandmothers. I still have all of those, but now the Internet and social media come into play... links, videos, links to links, forwards of links, text messages with links, FB posts of videos, and the list goes on.

Comments (44)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Don't save the link. It's amazing how many of those that you think will always be around suddenly just disappear--look at the BBC's recent decision to take down all their recipes.

Before there were any of the newer recipe programs I began saving recipes by copying/pasting them into a document in Apple's Pages program, but I can't really recommend that, since after a couple of hundred recipes it becomes rather cumbersome to navigate, even with the search function.

LisaD82 thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • ghostlyvision
    5 years ago

Some I just save the link to but most I copy and save in an e-mail draft so always know where to find them.

LisaD82 thanked ghostlyvision
  • Related Discussions

Saving and Finding Recipes; Clipping Posts to read later on.

Q

Comments (5)
    I am just as BAD clipping on the GW as I am with written snippits of recipes all over the house, lol. I blame it on my daughter being born now, almost 17 years ago, because I look at all the typed recipes in binders arranged in order in plastic sleeves from our catering and food manufacturing business that I typed before she was born and wonder what happened to me!
    ...See More

Saving threads so you can find them later or so you have them (an

Q

Comments (5)
    For those on an iPad, you can also take a screen capture, or picture of what is currently displaying in your screen, by pressing the Home and Power buttons briefly at the same time. You will hear a sound like a camera taking a picture, and your screen image will appear in your Photos.
    ...See More

How do you keep track of online coupons?

Q

Comments (1)
    I use currentcodes.com to keep track of online coupons for me!
    ...See More

Do you ever find just the right picture online?

Q

Comments (17)
    Jakabedy, "I kinda used to live in that house. I loved that little house." Now honey, just what is "kinda used to" mean? Did you go home every afternoon after school with a friend who lived there? It is a charmer alright. Love the garden too. When I was in grammar school, I'd go out of my way walking home in order to dawdle in front of this huge vacant old mansion on Old Government St. in Mobile. It sat vacant for almost 20 years, some problem settling an estate. I dreamed about that house. It was in town, but it had a barn behind it. Lovely place. But these days, I am in love with a little New England cape built by the king of Cape builders from Boston, and I'd even give up Alabama to live in it, winter snow and ice and cold alike. Another story book house. But yes, Lav, I did find just the right picture online. It is MY KITCHEN, to perfection. It felt just right when I saw it. Down to the rug in front of the sink, and the hardwood floors instead of tile. Awesome.
    ...See More
  • miniscule
    5 years ago

I save the link, but those I really like I print out. I have a big stack in a large folder handy for those most used. Not sophisticated, but it works for me.

LisaD82 thanked miniscule
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    5 years ago

Pinterest. I have a recipe board

LisaD82 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

If it's pinnable/pinable...is that a word LOL I'll pin it to Pinterest otherwise I copy and paste it to word and save it under recipes and I also print it just to have. If something ever happens to me at work and they have to look in my saved stuff in word they'll probably find more recipes that work related items :-0

LisaD82 thanked always1stepbehind
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

I print mine and I have them all in a 9"x11" box on the kitchen counter - kind a like an old-fashioned in/out box that you would find on an office desk. If I make a recipe and don't like it I am ruthless about throwing it away. That keeps my box manageable.

I tend to combine recipes that I find so having a hard copy allows me to make scribble notes on it, or if I like the recipe but it needs a tweak I can make a scribble note.

LisaD82 thanked blfenton
  • lukkiirish
    5 years ago

I utilize pinterest alot and have a variety of boards to help with keeping them categorized. If I find a recipe elsewhere on line, I will hunt for it in pinterest or even pin it into pinterest. Sometimes, especially if it's one I want to share or for the convenience I'll just quickly print it out. I keep all my printed copies in a semi organized folder and store it in the cabinet with my cookbooks. One day when I'm feeling ambitous, I'm going to type up a list of the recipes in the folder so I can track what's in there better.

LisaD82 thanked lukkiirish
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

I use http://www.pepperplate.com/

It's pretty basic, but it allows you to import the recipe from recognized sites (allrecipes, epicurious, etc). If it can't import it, you can enter it manually pretty easily by cutting and pasting or typing. You can categorize your recipes and then search on them.

It also has menu planning and a shopping list. And the recipes are scalable, which I like because there are just two of us.

LisaD82 thanked aok27502
  • lukkiirish
    5 years ago

Oh yes!. I use the app for AllReceipes.com, like the one aok27502 mentions, the free portion is pretty basic but sometimes there are some really good recipes there and I like the concept of their recipebox.

LisaD82 thanked lukkiirish
  • LisaD82
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Lukkiirish and Aok27502, thank you for those app links. I didn't know such existed, although I'm not at all surprised.

I have a Pinterest board. I don't find it particularly manageable, though. I find you have to start off organized on Pinterest from the get-go and that was not me when I initially joined.

I still print quite a few but find that I'm looking up recipes on my phone and computer more and more.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

I copy and paste the recipe to Google documents. Easy peasy. That way I have them no matter where we are.

LisaD82 thanked maddielee
  • LisaD82
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maddielee, how do you organize and retrieve within Google docs? I've played around with that before, and it seems a bit like Tumblr where, once you have a sizable amount in there, it may be difficult to retrieve specific recipes.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Oh, I'm not organized at all...but it's easy to search when I need a recipe for something. Searching one word like 'shrimp' brings up all my shrimp recipes.

• LisaD82
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Maddielee--appreciate your follow-up.

• 2katz4me
    5 years ago

Pinterest or I send to myself in email. I have a recipe folder in email and multiple recipe boards in Pinterest

LisaD82 thanked 2katz4me
  • gail618
    5 years ago

Many sites like Epicurious, Food Network, NYT have a recipe box so that's where I file those recipes. I think maybe you have to subscribe to NYT to use theirs? Otherwise, I pin them. If they can't be pinned I bookmark them, but then I usually forget that I have them bookmarked.

LisaD82 thanked gail618
  • hhireno
    5 years ago

I don't like my recipes too organized. Having to flip through paper (print outs, magazine clippings, recipes from others) or my email folder reminds me of other things I should make. I always find what I was originally looking for and get another recipe to make in the next few days, "oh yeah, I forget about this!" When I first tear a recipe from a magazine, I clip it to my cookbook holder until I try it. If I like it, it's placed in a folder. If I don't like it, it gets tossed. This prevents me from stockpiling clippings that I never get around to making.

LisaD82 thanked hhireno
  • CindyMac
    5 years ago

I download and keep copies in plastic sleeves in binders. Started doing that years ago on the Cooking forum. Periodically I go through the binders and toss anything I still haven't made that no longer appeals. I have a folder with saved recipes in Bookmarks and never use it. Much prefer the binder approach.

LisaD82 thanked CindyMac
  • Oakley
    5 years ago

I keep my old tried and true recipes in the recipe box. For the past few years I've been printing recipes and they're in a binder folder ready to be sorted.

Cindy, I admire your patience in putting those together! I'm not the cook you are, so one binder is enough for me.

However, the binder rings don't close properly and the pages will come out if I'm not careful. Is there a trick to fixing it so I don't have to buy a new one?

LisaD82 thanked Oakley
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

I am going to try Google Docs as Maddielee suggests. Right now I have them bookmarked on my apple.

LisaD82 thanked happy2b…gw
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

I haven't tried it yet but I keep meaning to give NYT's Cooking site's box a try. It lets you save recipes from other sites (which most do not).

I have private pinterest boards where I save the recipes I want to try.

LisaD82 thanked Funkyart
  • CindyMac
    5 years ago

Oakley, do you think the binder is too full? If not, maybe you just need a better quality binder.

LisaD82 thanked CindyMac
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

For all you folks who put your trust in pinterest: you do know that when the original post goes away your pin just becomes a dead link, don't you? I don't have a pinterest account but I'm always clicking things that take me there and I've had several experiences of getting a 404 when I click the link in the pin or try to get there by typing in the url.

LisaD82 thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Bunny
    5 years ago

I didn't read all the responses. :-/

I print them to PDF and save them to a folder on my Desktop called "Recipes."

I've found that I don't always follow up on recipes that seemed good at the time. This provides an easier way to store them without having to cut and trim and put in a binder.

I do try to always save the photo that invariably is included with the recipe. Sometimes it's how it looks that captures me, and I need that to remind me why something called "Chickpea Curry" was so compelling in the first place. Not the best example since I love curry and chickpeas any old way.

LisaD82 thanked Bunny
  • blubird
    5 years ago

I make them into a PDF or jpg file and store them on Dropbox. While Dropbox is a cloud service and accessible to me from almost anywhere, the original set of files actually exists on one of my computers, synced regularly.

LisaD82 thanked blubird
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

I pin them and also print them. My binder of favourite recipes that I had printed or torn out of mags, was lost in the fire and it seems like at least once a week I go to find a recipe in it before I remember it's gone. Hence the saving them in two places now.

LisaD82 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • H B
    5 years ago

If you join the NYT recipe thing, there's an app and you can "save" any recipe found online to it as well (but I do think it uses a link method to do so)....I also take screenshots of online recipes and put them in a photo folder called "recipes." Its not great for finding things but at least I have a copy.

LisaD82 thanked H B
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I will also copy and paste into an email if I like a recipe. Then I can just search for it there.

I used to have a lot stored on Weight Watchers, but then when they upgraded their site, some of my favorites got lost.

LisaD82 thanked gsciencechick
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

I also copy and paste into an email to myself.

LisaD82 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • romy718
    5 years ago

Like H B, I take screen shots of recipes. I have different albums in my Photos, ie, "Dessets", "Vegetables", etc.

LisaD82 thanked romy718
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

Yes, anything you save online can disappear if the site goes down. Doesn't matter if it is pinterest, a browser bookmark or site that saves recipe links. It hasn't really been a problem for me but I tend to go to the same sources for recipes.

I played with it a little and I like the nyt site because it's very simple.. and it includes photos (even if you save a link from another site). It's not much different than saving to a pinterest board but you can make your own collections--and it will automatically categorize the recipes from NYT Cooking.

LisaD82 thanked Funkyart
  • 2katz4me
    5 years ago

I usually print a hard copy if I'm actually going to make a recipe I've saved online. If it's worth making again I save the paper copy in my hanging files for recipes. If it's one of the many I've pinned and it's no longer available at some point so be it. There are thousands more where that came from. I also have some that I've cut and pasted into Word docs on my computer at home but since we have two places it's nice to have recipes available online though I do have a hard copy file in a bag I carry back and forth with me.

LisaD82 thanked 2katz4me
  • DYH
    5 years ago

I have far too many bookmarked!

It is only after I use one of the recipes and like it, that I print it out and put it in my favorites binder.

LisaD82 thanked DYH
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

The nice thing about using Google documents is that you have the recipe wherever you go. Easy to check for needed ingredients while at the store on your phone, easy to use the recipe in the kitchen on a tablet, easy to share a requested recipe by email. I have not printed a recipe in years. (And you can edit, if necessary).

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

I copy and paste into a Word document then place in an appropriate folder. I have a recipe folder and within that folder have folders for Appetizers, Breads, Breakfast, etc. And, occasionally, within those folder have other folders; for example, in the Beverage folder there are additional folders, one for Alcoholic and one for Non-Alcoholic. In the Vegetable folder, there are folder for Legumes with additional folders, Root Vegetables with additional folders. You get the idea. These are saved in an external drive. And are very easy to locate.

Forgot to say that the folders are on the computer, not actual paper folders. I don't print a recipe until I am ready to use it. Also just remembered to say that I keep these in a master folder called "Recipes to Try." If we don't like the finished product, the recipe is deleted. If we do like the finished product, the recipe is moved to another folder called "My Favorite Recipes." I make notes on these as to when I made it and who was present to eat it and favored it.

LisaD82 thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • ghostlyvision
    5 years ago

I used to love Recipezaar, zillions of recipes to add to your own cookbook and you could post your own recipes as well, their message boards were okay too but they changed the name, redesigned it into a graphics nightmare and then did away with the boards altogether. Now if I'm googling to find a particular type of recipe and one comes up from there I rarely even open it, takes forever to load and not really worth the bother.

LisaD82 thanked ghostlyvision
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I don't print until I'm about to use one (& sometimes not even then; I often just copy it out longhand). I control+click (R click on Windows) the page or use the site's 'print' button to open the print dialog window & then save the recipe as a .pdf & it goes into a desktop folder of recipes. I put them into folders by type &/or main ingredient. I love that I can collect to my heart's content & not worry about them taking up too much space, since my computer has 500 gigs of storage.

You might try emailing the link to yourself, if you're on your phone. Then opening it on your desktop to save as described above. Not sure if everybody's computer does the same, tho....?

I have a Google app I just love called 'Keep' that allows me to save anything & everything as a note, even links. I use Chrome browser & can create & edit notes on my desktop & it will sync on my phone - perfect for shopping lists & saving stuff I find while browsing IRL or online.

Google Keep

HTH

LisaD82 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • jerseygirl_1
    5 years ago

I've been using an App called Paprika. I also print them out and file under recipes I case something happens to the site.

LisaD82 thanked jerseygirl_1
  • Lisa Samson
    5 years ago

I have a Pinterest page that I save most things on, but I also bookmark them, etc on my tablet. On Pinterest you can see all of your things at once, instead of endless scrolling.

LisaD82 thanked Lisa Samson
  • Errant_gw
    5 years ago

I also save them as a PDF file into a "Recipes" folder. I also have the paid version of Allrecipes.com and will import recipes I've tried and enjoy.

LisaD82 thanked Errant_gw
  • LynnNM
    5 years ago

I copy them and print out the recipe. I have a thick ring binder that I store my recipes in. Dividers keep them organized. In each section (such as Poultry; Fish & Seafood; Savory Breakfasts; Farro; etc.) , I have recipes that I've tried already and liked, or adapted to make them more healthful and tried and liked. There's a divider after those recipes where I keep recipes I'd like to try.

LisaD82 thanked LynnNM
  • pippiep
    5 years ago

I also use the Paprika app. LOVE IT. It's the only thing I use now. As soon as I find a recipe, I save it to Paprika.

• aktillery9
    5 years ago

Sadly I just take a screenshot of them. I am very disorganized.

Sponsored
IDS Metals / Ar2 Design Studios Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Custom Modern Stairs & Railings Serving DC & Miami