SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osuzieq

will laminate counters ruin a beautiful kitchen

osuzieq
7 years ago

We're remodeling and adding on to our home. Our kitchen will be huge with a 12 ft. island. My husband wants granite and I want laminate. We put granite in our current kitchen last summer intending to sell and then we decided to do the addition and remodel. I hate the granite because it always looks like its smeared and sloppy after I wipe it off. It was sealed when they put it in of course, but soon after started to look like there was a foggy or dull film on it. When the sun shines in it looks awful. I have found some gorgeous laminate that mimics the granite-look. They have come a long way from the choices in 1999 when we built the house. There is even a company here that builds the countertop with your choice of sink undermounted like undermount sinks in granite.

I do love the look of shiny granite and the fact that I can take a pot off the stove and set it on the counter. I don't have the time to spray and buff...It's pointless here with 4 kids, an in-home daycare and half the neighborhood.

So the argument between my husband and I is- I like the ease of laminate cleaning-and the price, but he says "I'm not spending all of this money and putting in a cheap looking counter in a 53K kitchen. Truth be told, every showcase house we toured had granite. Am I fighting a losing battle? Also, in our 16 years of marriage I think I've seen him wipe the counter off maybe a dozen times...Any advice or suggestions are appreciated and if I'm outnumbered I will gracefully give in.

Comments (47)