SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acurioushomeowner

Holden, Landmark and Roseum Elegans for privacy hedge?

CuriousHomeOwner
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just picked up three rhododendrons from the local greenhouse hoping to use them for a privacy hedge next to a new chain link fence on the shady northeast side of my yard in southeast Michigan. I'd like some height for privacy. I bought: Holden (red/fuschia); landmark (red); and Roseum Elegans (pink/lavendar). At the store signs indicated that the Holden and Roseum Elegans grew to 6+ feet, which sounded great. The Landmark was predicted to be around 4', but I bought it on a whim since its foliage is supposed to turn red and it's the smaller leaf variety, which sounded nice. I though maybe I'd use it for the edge near the gate where I'll have less room? Now I'm wondering if I made a good decision. I've been researching the varieties and it sounds like Elegans might have been a good choice since it can grow to 6' in 10 years (but how slowly?). However, many estimates for Holden seem more like 3-4' in 10 years, which would be far too slow. And, some reports indicate Landmark needs a fair amount of sun. Ugh. Does anyone have any personal experience they can share with me? I'm planning to change the soil where I plant to increase acidity, but I'm also concerned about winterizing (it's zone 6b here, really unpredictable spring weather). Do I need to wrap the plants with burlap every winter? Please help. I could return 1-2 or even 3 of the plants and get something else if I decide ASAP. I'd also considered a mixed border with hydrangeas or old garden/more shade tolerant roses like albas or Lyda rose. Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored