SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lookingforhousingindc

COREtec Issues (photo heavy)

Heloise
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am supposed to meet with the COREtec installer & GC after requesting my floors be redone.

These photos are from the second attempt at installing 5" planks in about a ~700 square foot space. The first attempt failed when the crew laid the planks in a very obvious pattern.

Most of the boards were reused with about three new boxes added in. They had a five box overage built into the order so if new are needed, they'll have to be ordered.

I emailed USFloors to get information about reusing and they said if disengaging the planks was done carefully and the locking mechanism isn't damaged, it can be done. I'm less confident about trying again.

I've attached pictures showing some of the problem areas I've found and photographed. Issues include gaps (some obvious, some shown with the paper stuck between planks), short planks, and some damage.

Any thoughts or advice or "actually this is nbd"?

Thank you!!

Comments (151)

• K Sherrill
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’m having the same problem with the white film. My floor looks horrible all the time.

Has anyone rented a floor scrubber. when i called Coretec that is what they suggested. nust wond if its worth it. i dont feel like its going to help.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

K Sherrill, that is the problem they (Coretec), does not even know how to remove the white powder, the techs they sent over the first time used our floor scrubber and the powder still shows up on the floor after it dries.

Just be careful what you use to clean the floor if it is still in warranty.

• Related Discussions

Mostly Pink (photo heavy)

Q

Comments (16)
    For thyme2dig: 'Mariessii' has been in the ground since 2003. Please beware--I just lost one that had been in my garden for over 12 yrs due to viburnum leaf beetles. At my request, DH cut it down to 18" only yesterday. Hate to use chemicals, but this required drastic measure to save the viburnum. Applied Bayer 3 in 1 for roses. Will apply imidiclopid (for grub prevention usually) in the next few days. Hope these measures can save it. As for the photo with the 2 wiegelas--the dark pink blooms in the upper right belong to rhododendron 'Nova Zembla'.
    ...See More

Mission Accomplished: Panama (Warning: Photo-Heavy Post!)

Q

Comments (44)
    Dedtired - thanks for the kind words about my braids! I refer to it as my Rhoda Penmark "do" ... You remember her from The Bad Seed, right? ;-) DH and I also wondered how useful we would be on this medical mission, since neither of us has any training (beyond basic CPR). Our fears of inadequacy were quickly put to rest when we had to just jump in and start doing. DH was the muscles of the group, hefting heavy equipment that needed to be loaded and unloaded, and he also overcame his lack of Spanish-speaking ability when working with patients who needed reading glasses. We did have translators who were a huge help, but once they gave us some rudimentary phrases we were able to do a good deal without their help. I assisted him with the reading glasses, and one day we distributed shoes to the children, which required fitting little feet. Most of my time was spent as patient coordinator, acting as sort of a "gatekeeper" and ensuring that the flow went smoothly. My forte is administrative work, and I found my skills well put to use in the tasks I was assigned. There is so much work out there to be done, and there are so many roles that need to be filled. Think of it this way: The Air Force doesn't just need pilots. ;-)
    ...See More

COREtec Hayes Oak... would love to see photos!

Q

Comments (19)
    In my opinion it is the perfect flooring to have with kids and pets. It’s resistant to scratching; I’ve dragged furniture over it and have yet to see a scratch. Regarding footprints, I don’t have that problem with this color. In fact the color seems to camouflage any marks at all. If you love this color, I would not hesitate at all!
    ...See More

Actual photos of Coretec colors

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks @Megan Philbin for sharing these photos, yea we have locked in fidalgo oak and we tested the sample with thing fabric and it was fine, but good to have a confirmation with two young kids. from sample it looked more darker and quieter (less grainy). would you say that's true in real but photos makes it looks lighter and grainy? I think we will lock this in from the photos at it looks amazing and exactly what we want. so once again thanks for sharing these images.
    ...See More
  • lmblaber
    2 years ago

@Fernando Nino Sr can you share who you contacted at corporate office. I've been waiting for CoreTec claim rep to come inspect, but he’s so busy I’ve been waiting weeks! I want to move forward and contact corporate. These floors are awful! I would never recommend these floors.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

Sorry Imblaber, we been busy getting our basement finished. The Flooring Store we purchased the flooring took the lead for us, they did all the work calling everyday to get it resolved.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

Well that did not last long, starting to have issues with the new flooring. Cupping, separation, chipping. Crew coming in next month to fix it again. I don't know about these floors, we are stuck with them but I would not recommend anybody buy any Cortex flooring. We just had carpet installed on our stairs so there is a lot of carpet bunnies.

left side of the flooring plank is starting to cup and well as separation. Wife and I started to put blue tape on all the flooring where we have a problem.

Same chip as below but can see it starting to crack, glad we found it before our grandkid's foot did.

Hard to see but chip is just right of the flooring joint.

• Aimee Dubois
    2 years ago

We had all of that happening as well within a month of our install. Flooring store sent a repair person. Fixed chips. Coming back to fix separations. But I worry... once those are fixed, what stops other seams from coming apart? Are you still having the write marks?

So frustrating.

• Rani Ray
    2 years ago

lmblaber : what colors lvp is this ?

• LouAnn Patin
    2 years ago

Every tiime you clean the floors you have hope your footprints wont show back up but sure enough-when its dry and you walk on it theres your footprints again!

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

Aimee Dubois, no we dont have the white powder anymore, but I called the store manager about the chips and joint separation/cupping and he said that was impossible. He said the way it was designed prevented that, well here we are waiting for them to come take a look. that was about two weeks ago. Looks like i will have to call again. I am sure they are pretty sick of us by now, but when you spend over $3,000 on flooring I will keep calling till satisfied.

• Richard Pozar
    2 years ago

We had Coretec Plus matte finish put in a week ago. Within three days my feet hurt, 5 days and they were bleeding on the bottom of my toes! My little dogs pads were red. It's an awful, unsafe product. I would happily sue Coretec. $5522.22 worth of it!

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

We are still waiting for our floors to be repaired!

• PRO
    local b
    2 years ago

You can check out this website! They show how to properly install or restretch a carpet! https://minotflooring.com/ , Let me know if it helps!

• Fernando Nino Sr
    2 years ago

Still fighting with the flooring, started about 6 months ago. Finally we had someone come back to look at our floor again, of course samples were taken to ship back to the factory. The cupping on this product was a surprise for them, of course they said no way would it cup. Well the proof is there. Just have a couple of areas where the corners are cupped and one had a chip on the edge.

We also found out that the last flooring installation, attempt the product was defective. Seem that when the flooring was manufactured they did not mill the correct thickness on the side that the tab slips into. Coretec had several containers on a ship with this product that had to be sent back to get re milled. That is why our floor planks were breaking off when the installers were here to do the replacement flooring install.

Below is the picture of the product that had the incorrect milled edges.

• Aimee Dubois
    2 years ago

Re the CoreTec white film: my flooring supply store submitted a claim to Shaw on my behalf with the videos and photos I gave them. Shaw offered us $1500 to keep the floor as is and let it go or they would replace the entire floor with installation for the same style or something at similar cost. No one had to come inspect it or anything. They said it was an issue with the product during manufacturing and should not be on new product. I guess we will find out.

But....push them. The kicker video seemed to be the one I took where I just showed how I could rub my foot on the clean floor, and a white streak would show up, and I could then buff it out. And also a video of tossing a ball for my dog, who would slide across the floor on her pads (which I had video of me wiping off so they were clean) and then the streaks of white. The white streaks seemed to be friction/heat induced.

Hope that helps.

• Richard Pozar
    2 years ago

We got a $5520 refund from Coretex on our matt finish vinyl flooring. It was so abrasive that it made my feet bleed! No argument just refunded it.

• AJ NAYAK
    2 years ago

Richard which coretec pro color was it with matte finish? I’m getting new lvp soon. Would like to know which one was causing problem/should be avoided. Thanks

• Richard Pozar
    2 years ago

Yes, it was. Coretec refunded the whole amount for the flooring. Evidently they say the matt flooring has 'exfoliating' properties.

• Richard Pozar
    2 years ago

I think it was Red River Hickory.

• AJ NAYAK
    2 years ago

Richard, what floor are you installing in place of the Coretec Red River Hickory? I was so close to going with coretec now I am having seconds thoughts. Boy this flooring thing is so hard to decide!

• Richard Pozar
    2 years ago

We are putting in engineered hardwood. I suspect most of the luxury vinyl are ok, just not the matte finish.

• S Ryan
    2 years ago

I sold my house, but I will tell you that what helped after all with my floor was a shark robot vacuum and a swiffer

• salonva
    2 years ago

Wow I installed Coretec Red River hickory and I have been pleased. I have had it since mid August. I kept thinking that the issues people were having was with a different line of Coretec. Shocked honestly to see @Richard Pozar;s post .

I can see that in some lighting there are spots or footprints ( or dog drool) - some come up and some do not. I decided that since they are really not very visible ( you have to be standing a certain way in a certain light etc etc) that I am fine with it. I so far only use water and a microfiber cloth. I am still very pleased.

I do agree that with the matte finish it seems to hold dirt a bit more. I do use a dry swiffer to dust it after sweeping and even after washing, the swiffer pad is not white. We have no roughness though, no ripped socks or anything like that. My grandkids don't come that often but one was a crawler and no rips on her clothing.

We do have the felt pads on furniture and other than normal walking and dog walking and dragging his bones and toys and drooling, that's the extent of our test. Still pleased. I hope it keeps that way.

• Kim Sorum
    2 years ago

Please add me to the list. I Chose this product for a new build 2500 sq ft and every single room looks filthy! We are going to put new flooring down before we move in, but it looks like most of it will be at our expense. Every flooring person we talk to absolutely loves this flooring and says they have had no complaints.

• S Ryan
    2 years ago

I had a lot of problems with it, I used many different cleansers. I eventually bought a shark robo vac and a swiffer wet jet that did the trick for me. I hope this helps!

• dsrklore
    last year

Would never recommend cortex 5/8 “ flooring. It chips, challenging to get tight fit and we are concerned about the future with it.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    last year

We here we are about 6 months later still struggling with the new floor replacement. It is starting to curl on the edges in some of the planks. We have called the local company to come fix it by we are being put on ignore. We will keep bugging them till we get it fixed. Basically after all these problems with Coretec, I would stay away from this product, service and repairs are really bad. I think our next step is small claims court to recoup our losses.

Not to mention the edge chip on one of the flooring planks.

• Emily Radcliffe
    last year

Thank you for everyone who contribited to this thread. We just installed coretec pro plus and i am so dissappinted with the product. it is very rough (sounds and feels like carboard) and it is SO smudgy. you walk on it once and all you see are smidge marks. i wouod advise against this producty. :(

• Fernando Nino Sr
    last year

I wish there was a way that future customers could read all the reviews on here BEFORE they purchased any Coretec product. We did not, took word from sales person how great the product was. We went through so many bad and defective flooring replacement products that caused so many delays in completing the project. Again, the so called "better" flooring(the last replacement) has started to buckle and many promises of getting it fixed never happened. The company we bought it from does not answer our calls or just put us on ignore. Please don't buy any CoreTec product until you have done complete research on the flooring. Don't take advise from the sales person about how good the product is. Research and of course pictures(listed here) tell you a lot about the product.

• cbreeze
    last year

@Fernando, I am wondering if it isn't your floor that is uneven, not the planks. I have the same problem, but worse, probably a half inch difference if I put a level to it. It's just in one area but I have no way to prove that my floor was totally flat when the planks were installed. I also have a few edge chips at the bevels but I am used to not trying to look at them closely so it stops bothering me.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    last year

We had the high sides grind down even with rest of floor, it's not the floor.

• Julie Montgomery
    last year

We purchased the Ansley Walnut and only have about 15 pieces down, normally woukd have a few rooms completed by now. We stand on the flooring to give weight, hammer away and the gaps won't close. We have watched every video and have layed flooring for years.... what in the world is going on? We are about ready to throw in the towel! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    last year

You probably have that bad batch that has the mating ends milled incorrectly. They had hundreds of product on a boat, dont know if they were sent back to China.

• Tiffanie Cross
    last year

@Fernando Nino Sr, we are having the same issue with our Coretec Plus flooring. Did you call the manufacturer directly or the store where you bought the product for warranty claim? We arent sure where to start.

• Fernando Nino Sr
    last year

We called the store manager and filed a complaint about the floor. Just let them know you are not happy with the flooring. Take pictures and advise them that you have pictures of the problem area. They would then take a sample of the flooring and send it back to the company.

• Tiffanie Cross
    last year

Thank you! I have pictures and will call in the morning.

• Tiffanie Cross
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Fernando Nino Sr

Update: We contacted the dealer where we purchased our floor. They sent an inspector out to take measurements, moisture readings, and pictures of the cupping and the expansion gaps. Everything in their report was within factory specifications with the exception of their moisture reading - they said the comparable moisture reading was 90 and above. We have absolutely no moisture issues in the drywall/trim/walls of our home, and I had just finished mopping the floor about 10 minutes before the inspector arrived. We think the moisture reader he used picked up moisture on the surface of the planks. And, if the cupping was caused by concrete slab moisture issues, I would think the entire floor would be cupping - not just high traffic areas. The final report says that there is nothing wrong with the floor from the manufacturer's point of view and the damage is related to site-related issues.

Does anyone have any experience with Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus readers? The inspector used "Scale 2" for drywall and roofing. Luxury Vinyl Plank isn't mentioned anywhere in the literature for this moisture reader.

• thefinder10
    last year

@Tiffanie Cross I'm having the exact same problem. In high traffic areas the floor is lifting. I had the installed come out and he is investigating. It's only been about 2 years after install. What did you end up doing?

• Tiffanie Cross
    last year

We are fighting with Shaw over this defect still. They are claiming it is a site related issue and not a defect. We had to hire an independent flooring inspector and are waiting on that report.

• Richard Pozar
    last year

If you are meaning my problem with the non stick surface on the Core Tek making my feet bleed!! they reimbursed me for the material but none for the labor. And it was only a few weeks old. I used engineered hardwood instead and love it.

• HU-90933988
    last year

I bought my floors from Floors for Living. I am having two roblems The floor is lifing in every room in the house and floor can not be kept clean. Mopping every day sometimes twice a day is required Is there a class action suit? The store agreed to replace livingroom and kitchen although defect is in every room. The new flooring started buckling the day they put it in.

• thefinder10
    last year

@Tiffanie Cross Can you lay out the process you took to get that far? Did Shaw have someone come and inspect the floors? I'm probably going to have to do the same so just need to know the steps. Thank you!

• Tiffanie Cross
    last year

We filed a claim with the flooring store (Carpet One) that sold us the flooring. Shaw sent an inspector to our home.

• Erin Prinkey
    9 months ago

I too have been frustrated with markings on our Coretec floors. I thought it was just me until I came across this thread. I have tried all of the recommended cleaning methods to no avail. I recently read on the Coretec FAQ section of the website that an occasional floor polish such as Hilway Direct might be necessary. Has anyone tried this?

• girly909
    8 months ago

I recently installed cortec pro cairo oak about 2500sf and it was a big mistake! Floor is shiny, creaks, lifts, scratches beyond easily, and hard to clean. I'm so frustrated. I ripped out Pergo laminate from HD and never had ANY issues. Is there a class action lawsuit. Every claim they said about these floors is untrue. Anyone had luck getting refund from coretec?

• cnunn
    6 months ago

We professionally installed Coretec Advanced plus 7 months ago. We are having horrible buckling. We spent all this money for their best product and now it is buckling. Has anyone had buckling with their Coretec floor? We are requesting an inspection. If I had to do it over again I would choose another flooring. Wonder what other flooring is waterproof and durable? Wonder how easy it is to receive a refund? Please share your thoughts.

• cnunn
    6 months ago

We are filing a claim for the defective Coretec Advanced Plus. Can anyone tell me how long it took to from filing a claim to actually receiving a replaced flooring from Coretec or a refund? I am guessing it is going to be a long time. Any tips to helping to move the process along faster?

• kculbers
    6 months ago

Cnunn: I am so sorry to hear about your flooring issue. I had my kitchen & laundry / bathroom renovated a few years ago, and I kept my Pergo laminate oak look flooring, which was installed years before my kitchen renovation. My Pergo flooring still looks and functions great! Nothing sticks to it, it does not ding or chip. Easy clean up with diluted vinegar and water! Everyone who has seen it swears it is wood. Best of luck on your journey.

• lisacee
    5 days ago

@kculbers your pics look great so it reassuring to know that a slightly acidic cleaning product isn’t a problem. The Coretec care guide says to use Ph neutral floor cleaners, so I was thinking to use a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Mine are pretty new and I have been getting away with a swiffer and warm water for cleaning so far.

• cbreeze
    5 days ago

I've had my Coretec floors 6 years now and I use wet swiffer wipes with no problems. I got a bottle of that special pH neutral cleaner and I don't even use it now.

• kculbers
    5 days ago

Lisacee: my Pergo laminate flooring cleaning instructions, from the Pergo Company, recommends to use only diluted vinegar to clean the floors: 1/4 cup vinegar to 4 cups of water, rinse with water.